A kata/form tip for beginning students

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
:) Just joking about the km. I went to school at a Royal Naval school in Malta in the 1960's. I know how many stones I weigh.
I know the old money, 240 pennies to the pound. 12 pennies to the shilling ,20 shillings to the pound. I though your old money was cool.
Different size notes. No drinking age in Malta, 1 and 3 for local beer, half crown for a Heineken.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I so appear to think of cars differently ;)

My current car is plenty comfy enough, it's in good condition (needed a hell of a clean), it's proven reliable enough that I'd get in it right now and drive any distance, it's got just enough toys to amuse me.

But, it's 12 years old...

Also but - it cost me £450 to buy outright, privately.

After a very quick look, the new equivalent model would need a £2750 deposit and £199 per month - and I'd still need to pay £11000 to keep it in 3 years time.

I just can't think of a single sane reason to get a new one.
I got my Mercedes about 6 years ago, which would have made it about 12 years old. I paid $6K for it, and got a car that I've now put another 130K miles on. It has rarely given me trouble, and I'd get in it now and drive several hundred miles. In fact, I did exactly that just a few months ago when I went to Kentucky to visit with @Tony Dismukes and another MA friend of mine. If I want, I can probably get another 100K miles without spending too much.

I like new cars. I get to rent nearly-new cars all the time, and they're a lot of fun to drive. If I had an excess of cash, I'd probably buy new cars sometimes. I have a hard time finding a good reason to do so when I can save up and buy something nice every few years.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I so appear to think of cars differently ;)

My current car is plenty comfy enough, it's in good condition (needed a hell of a clean), it's proven reliable enough that I'd get in it right now and drive any distance, it's got just enough toys to amuse me.

But, it's 12 years old...

Also but - it cost me £450 to buy outright, privately.

After a very quick look, the new equivalent model would need a £2750 deposit and £199 per month - and I'd still need to pay £11000 to keep it in 3 years time.

I just can't think of a single sane reason to get a new one.
Everyone likes what they like, and couldn’t care much less about some things.

I’m honestly not a big fan of the majority of stuff put in today’s cars. A few things are nice, but the rest are just IMO trying to somehow solve problems that don’t actually exist.

I hate the auto-dimming rearview mirrors. They don’t dim enough and why do they need to be automatic? I have the old trusty flip the knob on the mirror and it’s so much better. Stupid feature IMO.

Rain sensing wipers? Is it so hard to push a lever up?

Speed sensitive wipers? Is it so hard to figure out which to use - slow, fast or intermittent? I’ve got about 4 speeds of intermittent, and I turn the lever. Is it so hard to do that? Or are drivers too stupid?

I hate temperature controlled heat/ac. Give me the knob with red and blue on it. I don’t need 72 degrees exactly. Then when that temperature is reached, I get cool air instead of warm. Stupid feature. I know when warm is warm enough.

I do like the stereo I installed several months ago - I’ve got Bluetooth calling on it. Hit the phone button and press a radio preset number for calls. And the music turns off when I get a call and comes back on when I’m done.

I wish I had heated seats.

One thing I’d really like is a refrigerated console to put drinks in on road trips. A friend had that in his Saab a while back, but he didn’t like it. Better yet, he liked the concept but not the implementation.

I drive an SUV and hate it. It’s a decent enough SUV, but I’m not an SUV fan. I bought it when we found out my wife was pregnant with our first child. It’s been highly practical, but I just want a small car back. My father has an ‘07 Volvo S40 he bought from a customer (he’s a mechanic) a while back that he just hasn’t sold. 5 cylinder turbo, 6 speed manual, AWD. 54k miles on it. I’ve been telling myself I should offer him what he paid for it, which was a great deal, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’d much rather that than my Highlander, but my Highlander is still somewhat more practical right now. My previous 3 cars have all been Volvos, and I loved each one. I hated getting rid of my 850 turbo for the Highlander, but it was time to let it go. I wasn’t comfortable driving a car with almost 250k miles on it with an infant. Breaking down would’ve sucked. However, it’s still on the road. The guy I sold it to lives several blocks away, and I see it most days on my way to work. I wonder how many miles he’s got on it now. I sold it to him just about 10 years ago. Still looks like new too.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I’m honestly not a big fan of the majority of stuff put in today’s cars. A few things are nice, but the rest are just IMO trying to somehow solve problems that don’t actually exist.

I hate the auto-dimming rearview mirrors. They don’t dim enough and why do they need to be automatic? I have the old trusty flip the knob on the mirror and it’s so much better. Stupid feature IMO.

Speed sensitive wipers? Is it so hard to figure out which to use - slow, fast or intermittent? I’ve got about 4 speeds of intermittent, and I turn the lever. Is it so hard to do that? Or are drivers too stupid?

I hate temperature controlled heat/ac. Give me the knob with red and blue on it. I don’t need 72 degrees exactly. Then when that temperature is reached, I get cool air instead of warm. Stupid feature. I know when warm is warm enough.

I do like the stereo I installed several months ago - I’ve got Bluetooth calling on it. Hit the phone button and press a radio preset number for calls. And the music turns off when I get a call and comes back on when I’m done.

One thing I’d really like is a refrigerated console to put drinks in on road trips. A friend had that in his Saab a while back, but he didn’t like it. Better yet, he liked the concept but not the implementation.

I drive an SUV and hate it. It’s a decent enough SUV, but I’m not an SUV fan. I bought it when we found out my wife was pregnant with our first child. It’s been highly practical, but I just want a small car back. My father has an ‘07 Volvo S40 he bought from a customer (he’s a mechanic) a while back that he just hasn’t sold. 5 cylinder turbo, 6 speed manual, AWD. 54k miles on it. I’ve been telling myself I should offer him what he paid for it, which was a great deal, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’d much rather that than my Highlander, but my Highlander is still somewhat more practical right now. My previous 3 cars have all been Volvos, and I loved each one. I hated getting rid of my 850 turbo for the Highlander, but it was time to let it go. I wasn’t comfortable driving a car with almost 250k miles on it with an infant. Breaking down would’ve sucked. However, it’s still on the road. The guy I sold it to lives several blocks away, and I see it most days on my way to work. I wonder how many miles he’s got on it now. I sold it to him just about 10 years ago. Still looks like new too.

I clicked agree, but my cheapie car has most of those features...

Auto dimming mirror - yeah, that's a pointless thing exactly as you describe. I may yet swap that out for an old fashioned flippy one.

Auto wipers - I use those... I can fully override the auto function but the rain we often get is that bit too much for intermittent and not quite enough for constant without screeching. It honestly has to save wear on the lever ;) I think they also do speed sensing, but I've never manually turned them on to find out...

Auto lights - I use those too. I have chosen to override them and switch the lights on myself a total of once. I've never overridden them to off though.

The built in stereo that's spidered into the canbus annoys me - I had to attack it with a soldering iron to get anywhere near an acceptable (to me) amp and keep the reverse sensors and other functions.

Climate control I don't mind, I just deal with it.

I use the cruise, and the speed limiter. Folding electric mirrors are really handy, as are the auto up windows when I lock it.

None of it is essential though, and none of it influenced my decision to buy the car.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Having gotten used to both rain-sensing wipers (much less hassle when the rain is off-and-on and keeps changing how much drizzle I'm driving in) and the auto-dimming rearview mirror (a more consistent visibility than the flip-style, and mind provides enough dimming so headlights behind aren't bothersome), those two I want in every car I own from now on.

I'm entirely with you on the auto-temp climate control. In my car, I often find myself trying to convince the car to just give me a little bit of heat/cold - which would be much easier with the old red-blue knob.

And heated seats are the sh#t. The 20-something me who rode a motorcycle year-round as primary transport is ashamed of me for saying that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Auto dimming mirror - yeah, that's a pointless thing exactly as you describe. I may yet swap that out for an old fashioned flippy one.

Auto wipers - I use those... I can fully override the auto function but the rain we often get is that bit too much for intermittent and not quite enough for constant without screeching. It honestly has to save wear on the lever ;) I think they also do speed sensing, but I've never manually turned them on to find out...

Auto lights - I use those too. I have chosen to override them and switch the lights on myself a total of once. I've never overridden them to off though.

The built in stereo that's spidered into the canbus annoys me - I had to attack it with a soldering iron to get anywhere near an acceptable (to me) amp and keep the reverse sensors and other functions.

I use the cruise, and the speed limiter. Folding electric mirrors are really handy, as are the auto up windows when I lock it.

None of it is essential though, and none of it influenced my decision to buy the car.
Cruise is an absolute must for me. If I have to use the gas pedal for an hour straight on the highway, my right hip starts to cramp up. The only solution at that point is to stop and walk for 5-10 minutes. I won't even rent a car without cruise control.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to say, this is probably the biggest persistent thread swerve I've seen. Good work, all! :D
I KNOW right, I'm rather impressed, of all the swerves, this has to be one of the most off topic to the thread. Congrats guys :D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I forgot about auto lights. I had a car with those and hated them too. I always just left them on.

2 things I’ve never had and always wanted - remote start and remote windows up and down.

I’d like a proximity key too and that thing where you wave your foot around and the back door of the SUV opens.

One thing I can’t figure out why no one has come up with - dimming side view mirrors. At least the driver’s side. Getting someone’s headlights in my side view mirror has to be the worst.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
remote start

Best. Thing. Ever.
It's 6F right now. When I start report, I'll grab my phone and start the truck. Turns on the heater, the defroster, and the seat heaters. By the time I walk out it'll be all toasty warm. And I won't have to scrape the windows.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Best. Thing. Ever.
It's 6F right now. When I start report, I'll grab my phone and start the truck. Turns on the heater, the defroster, and the seat heaters. By the time I walk out it'll be all toasty warm. And I won't have to scrape the windows.
I keep telling myself I’m going to install a remote start on my car but never get around to it. Every car I’ve ever owned. Minus the manual transmission cars I’ve had.

A coworker had a Grand Cherokee with an app on her phone where she could remote start and set the car temperature. I wonder if she could turn the heated seats and defroster on too? Probably.

Of all the apps and car features out there, that’s got to be the best one IMO.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One option I’ve had a few times and thought was a big deal - moonroof.

I only opened it a few times and closed it almost immediately every time because it annoyed me. I’d tilt it open sometimes though. And I’d usually keep the screen thing that covers it closed. I questioned why I actually wanted one after my first car with it. My Highlander doesn’t have one and I don’t miss it st all.

A friend had a Honda Element with the long moonroof. Really cool and roomy in the back for passengers, but just ugly as all hell IMO. He hated the way it looked and drove, but his kids loved riding in it, so he liked it. I guess it’s like a Rolls Royce in a way - it’s the car you’re driven in, not the car you drive. :) Bentley is the car you drive.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I only opened it a few times and closed it almost immediately every time because it annoyed me. I’d tilt it open sometimes though. And I’d usually keep the screen thing that covers it closed. I questioned why I actually wanted one after my first car with it. My Highlander doesn’t have one and I don’t miss it st all.

A friend had a Honda Element with the long moonroof. Really cool and roomy in the back for passengers, but just ugly as all hell IMO. He hated the way it looked and drove, but his kids loved riding in it, so he liked it. I guess it’s like a Rolls Royce in a way - it’s the car you’re driven in, not the car you drive. :) Bentley is the car you drive.

My 96 Chevy Lumina had a moonroof. Liked it until it started to leak. In a carwash.

Then, not so much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about auto lights. I had a car with those and hated them too. I always just left them on.

2 things I’ve never had and always wanted - remote start and remote windows up and down.

I’d like a proximity key too and that thing where you wave your foot around and the back door of the SUV opens.

One thing I can’t figure out why no one has come up with - dimming side view mirrors. At least the driver’s side. Getting someone’s headlights in my side view mirror has to be the worst.
I've never really wanted remote start, but then it's not really cold here all that often. I've driven cars with the proximity key, and I loved that.

Automatic lights I can take or leave. When I have them I like them, but when I don't, I don't miss them.

My old Mercedes has the ability to raise/lower the windows from outside with the fob, which I really like.

I remember driving a car (probably something I rented) that did have the dimming side-view mirrors. It was a very nice difference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I use mine frequently. It's less noisy or buffeting than having a window down. I've even been known to use it with the AC on in the Summer, because why not? And it absolutely rocks for getting the hot air out of my black-on-black car in the Summer.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never really wanted remote start, but then it's not really cold here all that often. I've driven cars with the proximity key, and I loved that.

Automatic lights I can take or leave. When I have them I like them, but when I don't, I don't miss them.

My old Mercedes has the ability to raise/lower the windows from outside with the fob, which I really like.

I remember driving a car (probably something I rented) that did have the dimming side-view mirrors. It was a very nice difference.
Currently the remote start isn’t that big a deal anymore. I start my car on my way out to walk my daughters to school. Their school is literally around the corner, so when I get back it’s just about warmed up enough.

Before this school year when my kids went to the school I work at, going downstairs and out to start the car and coming back up was just another step in the whole process that made me later to work every day.

And I’d love tinting side views. Didn’t know they existed until your post.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use mine frequently. It's less noisy or buffeting than having a window down. I've even been known to use it with the AC on in the Summer, because why not? And it absolutely rocks for getting the hot air out of my black-on-black car in the Summer.
I used to tilt it up to keep the car from getting too hot while it was parked. After it rained unexpectedly a few times with it open, I stopped doing that.

Every one of them I’ve had has been too noisy and not enough air circulation to be worth the hassle. Maybe that little fin thing that sticks up wasn’t ever big enough?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cruise is an absolute must for me. If I have to use the gas pedal for an hour straight on the highway, my right hip starts to cramp up. The only solution at that point is to stop and walk for 5-10 minutes. I won't even rent a car without cruise control.

I use the cruise bloody everywhere :D

There are lots of 30 and 40 mph speed limits through villages, towns and stuff around here - it's great there.

My car will happily sit in cruise at 30 in 4th (manual 'box), then bump it up to 60mph as you leave the limit.

I never thought I'd even think this, but the one extra toy I'd like is adaptive cruise.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, forgot kinda...

Moonroof?

What?

Pics?

Latest Discussions