A Great "Conservative" speech.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ex-actly. Most fanatics lack a number of things. Chief among them is a sense of humor, followed closely by a serious irony deficiency.

And no, name calling and ridicule do not constitute a sense of humor.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BH, I'm trying really hard not to make this a piece of "Coke vs. Pepsi" BS. The underlying problem isn't whether the right wingnuts and Repugnicans have better tasting twaddle. It's that we've reduced the political process and the institutions of civil society to precisely that sort of name calling and hate-filled stupidity instead of actually trying to solve problems and set things up for a better future.

So whats the solution? Democrat or Republican isnt so much the problem as differences in belief. The parties take advantage of those differences and divy us up. Complain about the "system" all you want, those differences in philosophy and the desire to make policy based on them remains.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Better to light one small candle than curse the darkness"

The first thing to do is recognize that there's a problem. Until you open your eyes you can't see. Until you think you can't act rationally. Recognizing the disease doesn't guarantee a cure. But at least there's a chance. And when circumstances are right it will let you act.

Here's a few things people people can do...

1. Work for groups that support the essential values of civilization. Just for instance, I despise many of the policies and beliefs of Bob Barr and Phyllis Schlafly. If they knew me I'm sure it would be mutual. But they are doing serious work for an organization I support - the ACLU - because it stands for fundamental liberties.
  2. Even if they don't have a chance of winning this time, support and vote for candidates who are right about the really important stuff even if there are parts of their platforms you don't like. The DLC types have done their best to marginalize the Progressives. But they've had to give ground a little when the grass roots staged the electoral victories of 2006. Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich won't win the nominations. But every vote, dollar and supporter they get nudges the Party Apparachiks in the right directions.
  3. Work within. I'm active in a pressure group in the local Democratic Party that fights for the RKBA. The work isn't dramatic, but we've helped prevent a couple bad bills.
  4. Get involved in local community groups. Most people are as apathetic as a hypothyroid three-toed sloth on lithium. That makes everyone who does something much more influential. School boards, water and sewer commissions, candidate or representative meetings, police civilian review boards and so on.
  5. Get to know your neighbors.
  6. Meet people who aren't just like you, even ones you disagree with passionately on a bunch of things. Look for areas of shared interests and values. You'll be surprised how much there can be if they're basically good people otherwise.
  7. Even if you disagree with them learn to see where they're coming from. Help them understand what's important to you. The Powers That Be want us divided, paranoid, unthinking and isolated. Doing something which they fear isn't a bad thing.
  8. That way there will be two of you working for something that transcends the usual crap they shovel at us. And it means that when there's something really important you or the other guy can get out of the mental straitjacket and act as a citizen instead of being a blind, mindless, biddable thing.
  9. "If I am not for myself who will be? If I am only for myself what am I? If not now, when?" Thank you Rabbi Hillel! A lot of Progressives forget the first part. A lot of Conservatives forget the second. And the despairing, lazy and apathetic don't even bother to think about the third. Try to balance the three. If you react angrily and immediately to people who bring up the other two parts realize that you're acting like a machine not a Man for just that moment.
  10. Do It Yourself. Learn to do things that make you less dependent on the Vast Machine. If you can fix things you don't have to buy as much. If you can grow and preserve food you're a little less helpless in the face of stupid greedy politicians and stupid greedy capitalists.
  11. "Men Die. Teams Survive." You can survive on your own. Maybe. If the weather is good. But it can be pretty miserable. Find other people who have other skills and are standup guys and gals even if you think some of their ideas are nuts. Get to know some of their friends. If you can't solve someone's problem, know the people who can and figure out what they need that you (or someone you know) can provide. The martial artist needs electrical work. The electrician has a sweet tooth. The baker wants to learn to defend herself. Three people learn to rely on each other just a little bit, and the Two Headed Monster is weaker by half a dozen shoofly pies, one rewired room and a self defense class.
  12. Check out the DIY Manifesto. If you like it, consider buying a copy to pass on to someone else. No, it's not mine. But I'm etching copies into steel plate for the writer. He's helping me with marketing and putting me in touch with an architect who can get AAC - Aerated Autoclaved Concrete - wholesale.
  13. Wake up. See things as they are instead of how you want them to be. Develop opinions instead of adopting them. Act on them instead of giving up and letting your soul die. Help yourself. Help others. Do as much as you can for each other instead of for the Machine.
  14. "Don't mourn. Organize."
That's fourteen things you can do written in nineteen minutes.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting points and some I agree with, even though most seem to reccommend that I adopt more "liberal" philosophy than vice versa. Although if I were to post a similar list you would probably say the same.

Ive always thought that "pepole like me" have always loved their country even though they may dislike a president, a policy, a law or a system here or there. It always seems to me that the "other side" is constantly in revolutionary, burn it all down, this country sucks mode.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just read a good post on another thread that may apply here....

Because the nature of our government leads to a two-party system, with extreme views on both ends as the most stable.

It's like having a bar spinning at a high rate of speed, balanced at the middle. A two-party system puts weights at either end of the bar, which, when spinning, gives it stability and predictability, even if the weights move around a little bit.

Now thing of the same bar with all the weight in the middle, if the weight moves a little bit, the whole thing gets off balance in a hurry. This is like a one-party system, or a traditional monarchy.

So, the fights between "left" and "right", are considered (according to this model), a good thing.

It also allows the common man to be somewhere in the middle, AKA the real world!

Was there ever a point in our political history where this hasnt been so?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting points and some I agree with, even though most seem to reccommend that I adopt more "liberal" philosophy than vice versa. Although if I were to post a similar list you would probably say the same.

I personally grew up in a very conservative area, and much of my family and extended family tend to be quite conservative. I actually voted for W Bush in 2000, and my girlfriend (now wife) almost ended our relationship over it. I explained to her why I voted as I did, and she could see the sense in my point of view. It didn't sway her personal feelings, but at least she could understand my reasoning behind my choice and she could respect that.

I've lived in San Francisco since 1994, which of course is one of the most liberal regions in the nation. It's been a gradual process, but it has been exposure to liberal points of view that got me to reconsidering many of my earlier conservative points of view. It's amazing how your horizons can open up when you actually consider radically different viewpoints. I think everyone should have exposure to both, to balance their point of view and attitudes. Exclusive shelter in either extreme liberalism or extreme conservatism are probably both equally unbalanced and screwey. But both have some valid positions and opinions to contribute.

Ive always thought that "pepole like me" have always loved their country even though they may dislike a president, a policy, a law or a system here or there. It always seems to me that the "other side" is constantly in revolutionary, burn it all down, this country sucks mode.

I think the liberals actually love their country just as much, but are furious over what they perceive the administration is doing to it. Quite frankly, liberals feel that the nation could be much stronger and greater than it is, but the administration is actually tearing it down from the inside, leaving a hollow shell of what it should be. I think this gets translated into "revolutionary, burn it all down, this country sucks", but I think very few people actually believe that. It's really more of an expression of extreme frustration with the administration and the perceived shortsightedness and greed and corruption and callousness that is so often displayed.

I think many liberals see the vast wealth and strength that this nation holds, and rage over how it is often misused and squandered on foreign misadventures, furthering vast profits for huge corporations at the expense of the huge majority of citizens, and such. With the wealth we as a nation hold, we could actually provide a system that guarantees things like quality healthcare and education for everyone, for example. But instead we are mortgaging our future generations financial health in foreign wars that are morally questionable (and that's being generous) to begin with. Instead of building up our own people and building goodwill and a sense of cooperation around the world, we spend tremendous energy and resources destroying others for our own benefit. In the eyes of many liberals, this is gross dereliction of duty on the part of our government.

So maybe this helps you understand the liberal point of view a little better. Perhaps you don't agree with all of my points, but try to understand where the liberals are coming from.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that all of the administrations of years past, Democrat or Republican, share the responsibility for our nations place in history. As do all of the citizens who voted for them. It seems like we have all started to become "chicken littles" when a Pres of the "other party" takes office. Regardless of what people my say, the president is not "King" ALL politicians bear some responsibility for events. Look at how many of the Dem candidates are hedging on the war. Dont want to alienate voters. Dont want to wind up on the "wrong" side of an issue so lets not take a stand on anything. I respect more people here who are diametricaly (sp?) opposed to my views, because at least we know where we really stand, than I do most politicians who seem to only want to say what we want to hear.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems to me that all of the administrations of years past, Democrat or Republican, share the responsibility for our nations place in history. As do all of the citizens who voted for them. It seems like we have all started to become "chicken littles" when a Pres of the "other party" takes office. Regardless of what people my say, the president is not "King" ALL politicians bear some responsibility for events. Look at how many of the Dem candidates are hedging on the war. Dont want to alienate voters. Dont want to wind up on the "wrong" side of an issue so lets not take a stand on anything. I respect more people here who are diametricaly (sp?) opposed to my views, because at least we know where we really stand, than I do most politicians who seem to only want to say what we want to hear.

absolutely full agreement on these points. Politics in this country have become such a game for the politicians (in my opinion), that they never really stand for anything, and I believe many people both at home and abroad are really hurt because of it. This game they play has very real consequences for many people, and I think they refuse to recognize that. Politicians won't do or say anything without calculating how it might affect their chances of furthering their political career, regardless of what is right or wrong. I think we've got a real problem in our nation, with how politics and government operate. I do not have the solution, and that is very frustrating for me. So I guess I take shots at concrete examples of what I feel is wrong, when I see them.

By the way, while I am generally liberal minded I'm not a registered Democrat. I'm independent. While I despise many of the policies of the current administration, I also don't see the Democrats as any kind of savior. It's tough for a third party to get any kind of clout to offer a real alternative, and I think news media pander to that and help lock out any third party candidates. But I don't see any real solutions coming out of either of the two most powerful parties.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. Personally, Im not the "chicken little" type. I believe that politics everywhere and in all times have been like this to varying degrees. Look at Roman politics, look at English history, look at Civil War era USA. To throw the baby out with the bathwater is the wrong approach too. Our nation, in its short history, has much to be proud of. And many of the other nations criticizing us have histories that can put our fau paxs to shame. What all of us can do is get out there and vote. Its despicable when you compare the number of people who complain with the number of people who vote. They are no better than politicians who want to take credit and avoid blame.

Latest Discussions