John Edwards infidelity?

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hear the National Enquirer (don't laugh, they were the first to report the Monica Lewinsky scandal) is reporting they have uncovered an extra-marital affair between john Edwards and a campaign worker, which occured in the past 18 months. Anybody know anything?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Enquirer, much maligned, and deservedly so, also broke the story on Jesse Jackson's secret mistress & kid.
Does it matter if Edwards cheats on his wife? No, he's a democrat, ergo he gets a pass. Remember during the 92 campaign, when stories of Bill Clinton's widespread infidelities hit the news? The mantra was then:"Character has nothing to do with politics." and his polling numbers went up.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Although cheating on the wife whose cancer you're using to get points is kinda callous.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
meh. His ran his campaign on the notion that "there are Two Americas, and I'm gonna **** one of them". Better the one than the many.

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The Enquirer, much maligned, and deservedly so, also broke the story on Jesse Jackson's secret mistress & kid.
Does it matter if Edwards cheats on his wife? No, he's a democrat, ergo he gets a pass. Remember during the 92 campaign, when stories of Bill Clinton's widespread infidelities hit the news? The mantra was then:"Character has nothing to do with politics." and his polling numbers went up.
That's why I was asking. I heard this last night at around 5 PM EST, I haven't been able to find any other references to the issue in main stream media outlets. I'll bet if it was Romney, Giuliani, Thompson, or any Republican/conservative it'd be all over the place.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear the National Enquirer (don't laugh, they were the first to report the Monica Lewinsky scandal) is reporting they have uncovered an extra-marital affair between john Edwards and a campaign worker, which occured in the past 18 months. Anybody know anything?
Does that mean the Bush, Condie, Laura love triangle is real too?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OH good gaaawwwwwwwdddd................

I DON'T CARE WHOSE COOCHIE HE STICKS IT IN - IT'S NONE OF MY ****ING BUSINESS UNLESS IT'S AN ILLEGAL SITUATION.

Some of the best businessmen are AWFUL husbands. Some of the best husbands are AWFUL businessmen.

Not that I would vote for him, but Jeezus.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You dont have to be on here a long time to know whats "defamation of character," it doesnt belong.
I think this would fall under "political discussion" which is appropriate for this area of the board. Not sure that pointing to an article where someone *else* is pointing fingers and naming names can be called defamation of character, tho. I've seen worse here.

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You dont have to be on here a long time to know whats "defamation of character," it doesnt belong.
If it is defamation of character, I'm sure Mr. Edwards will pursue a remedy through the courts. The truth is an affirmative defense against such charges. It has been over 24 hours since the story broke, where is Mr. Edwards outrage? I polled msnbc, cnn, fox news, and the local Boston papers around 5 PM EST, nary a mention. His silence is deafening, I think it could be construed as a tacit admission of guilt.

The fact that you don't think it belongs is of little consequence to me, this forum is for discussion of "social and political issues". How does this not qualify? Where do you get off deciding what is and isn't appropriate here? Censorship on your mind?

I also don't care where he puts his thing, but the fact is the guy chose to be and is a very public figure. His activities will be scrutinized to a great degree, just like many others on the national stage. His character,and that of all candidates for public office, is certainly a subject that we all should explore. How can you make an intelligent decision on your vote if you ignore this issue? Or is the only thing that matters his political affiliation?

I don't know whether he is guilty of the infidelity or not, but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand, or not raise the issue for discussion because you characterize it as a rumor.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
If memory serves me, wasn't John Kerry slimed early on with false rumors of just the same thing in 2004?

If our elections are to be decided by the National Enquirer, we're sunk no matter who gets in.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

This is perfectly logical to me. Even if he DID have an affair, and had sex with his wife, that is between him and his wife, really. So, its a non-issue.

Now, if a Republican does this, it is NOT a non-issue. Why? Because that's the party that goes on and on, and on about "family values", watch out for those other people who go about doing all of these "unfamily things", and so on, and on, and on... that's why no one cares as much if a Dem does something like this. Why would they?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it is defamation of character, I'm sure Mr. Edwards will pursue a remedy through the courts. The truth is an affirmative defense against such charges. It has been over 24 hours since the story broke, where is Mr. Edwards outrage? I polled msnbc, cnn, fox news, and the local Boston papers around 5 PM EST, nary a mention. His silence is deafening, I think it could be construed as a tacit admission of guilt.

The fact that you don't think it belongs is of little consequence to me, this forum is for discussion of "social and political issues". How does this not qualify? Where do you get off deciding what is and isn't appropriate here? Censorship on your mind?

I also don't care where he puts his thing, but the fact is the guy chose to be and is a very public figure. His activities will be scrutinized to a great degree, just like many others on the national stage. His character,and that of all candidates for public office, is certainly a subject that we all should explore. How can you make an intelligent decision on your vote if you ignore this issue? Or is the only thing that matters his political affiliation?

I don't know whether he is guilty of the infidelity or not, but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand, or not raise the issue for discussion because you characterize it as a rumor.

Just curious ....

did any of those news sources which you cite for the former Senator's silence .... did any of them carry the accusation/story?

I'm pretty certain a spokesperson for the Edward campaign has replied to the paper which carried the story.

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does that mean the Bush, Condie, Laura love triangle is real too?
Yes.

Seriously, I don't read the Enquirer. I heard about the story on a local talk station, I followed up by looking at the NE on-line. I'll grant you that the NE does come out with some fantastic stories, but it has also been know to come out with some truth, reference the Monica Lewinsky and Jesse Jackson stories already mentioned here that were initially reported by that publication.

I'm not prone to blanket statements. I'd no sooner assume that the NYT always tells the truth than assume the NE always fabricates.

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just curious ....

did any of those news sources which you cite for the former Senator's silence .... did any of them carry the accusation/story?

I'm pretty certain a spokesperson for the Edward campaign has replied to the paper which carried the story.
No that I know off, I looked this morning and late this afternoon to see if there were any confirming or denying stories. I specifically looked at the 'front page' of their Politics sections. Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the reply.

Revision: just checked, still only the original article.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can only assume the mid-afternoon talk radio host you referenced was Jay Severin. He is a worse source than the Enquirer. He wouldn't know the truth if it dropped on his head.

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can only assume the mid-afternoon talk radio host you referenced was Jay Severin. He is a worse source than the Enquirer. He wouldn't know the truth if it dropped on his head.
I know you don't like Severin, he's an arrogant right-wing whack job (I've already read all the other criticisms you have of him, let's not re-hash that). He's also a counter-point to arrogant left-wing whack jobs. He has nothing to do with this issue. I listen to both sides, then make my own decisions.

The story was published in the Enquirer, believe the content or not. I don't care. I don't believe it simply because it was published, or because multiple hosts on WTKK discussed the topic. I don't have enough information to form an opinion yet. I posted this thread seeking alternate/multiple sources of information, because it is idiocy to draw conclusions from a single data point. I was asking if there are any other data points so that I might take a more reasoned stance.

Isn't anybody else interested in whether these allegations are true?