A few videos from years of training, but light.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bla, bla, bla. You're a troll. My bag works stresses time on the bag. Ever considered speed vs power. If my first punch lands on the adam's apple, how much power is needed?
As I said; more than you're showing.
Speed vs power is a concept that's over your head. I've fought a lot of big powerful guys. On purpose. Some pretty fast too. They were always amazed at what I could do to them before they could land one blow. It an advantage I have, and I use it.
I mean, as long as your opponent is ticklish, I guess...

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Human.
You don't like what I think of your tickle fight video. That's not trolling.
You think that's fighting? No wonder you've got nothing.

Your a troll. Let some others post.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think that's fighting? No wonder you've got nothing.

Your a troll. Let some others post.
*You're
Clear, I don't think it's fighting, or anything useful for fighting. I don't really think tickling someone is a very effective technique.
There's nothing preventing others from posting.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Human.
You don't like what I think of your tickle fight video. That's not trolling.

*You're
Clear, I don't think it's fighting, or anything useful for fighting. I don't really think tickling someone is a very effective technique.
There's nothing preventing others from posting.
You've got notting but trolling. What's the purpose of the video?

Maybe consier this post:

Then offer something that resembles intelligent conversation. You don't even know what you're lokking at...just trolling. Apparently you're only capable of being derogatory. Nobody here is going to scroll back to the video on the previous page, they'll only read a couple comments and move on.

Last edited:
OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody think I've ever used this combo in a street fight? So what's the purpose of practicing it on the bag?

Last edited:

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I want to say, man your video you posted is better than mine, I tried to wrestle a guy with hardly no wrestling training and failed an osoto gari that I probably never drilled and got tapped out in like 49 seconds. It takes balls to put yourself on video out there for critique and criticism and I respect that. For the technique I think what I'm seeing is a version of the straight blast you modified. Speed is good but I think there's a few things you can do to add power to it. 1 the stance, 2 the distance. I feel like if you weren't squared up stance wise and stood Maybe six inches more away it would of increased your power a bit. I've personally used a straight blast variation in a street fight. But it was before I even knew what a straight blast was, mine was more of an attack of boxing jabs and crosses it knocked the guy down because he tried a karate high block for some reason then tried to trap my hand but I continued hitting him with 1s and 2s until it dropped him. It is a very effective technique to catch someone off guard. I have no reason to believe that those types of attacks are as good at targeting a throat as a web of hand aka c strike are though. The thing with the straight blast is a double edged sword... you might catch someone off guard...and you might hit someone who's never been punched in the face and they drop, but I've tested this technique against various styles even a pro boxer and while it worked for the first 30 seconds he caught on to what I was doing and pivoted and check hooked. A chin jab or tiger claw is a better preemptive strike imo you need something fast but also with enough power.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I want to say, man your video you posted is better than mine, I tried to wrestle a guy with hardly no wrestling training and failed an osoto gari that I probably never drilled and got tapped out in like 49 seconds. It takes balls to put yourself on video out there for critique and criticism and I respect that. For the technique I think what I'm seeing is a version of the straight blast you modified. Speed is good but I think there's a few things you can do to add power to it. 1 the stance, 2 the distance. I feel like if you weren't squared up stance wise and stood Maybe six inches more away it would of increased your power a bit. I've personally used a straight blast variation in a street fight. But it was before I even knew what a straight blast was, mine was more of an attack of boxing jabs and crosses it knocked the guy down because he tried a karate high block for some reason then tried to trap my hand but I continued hitting him with 1s and 2s until it dropped him. It is a very effective technique to catch someone off guard. I have no reason to believe that those types of attacks are as good at targeting a throat as a web of hand aka c strike are though. The thing with the straight blast is a double edged sword... you might catch someone off guard...and you might hit someone who's never been punched in the face and they drop, but I've tested this technique against various styles even a pro boxer and while it worked for the first 30 seconds he caught on to what I was doing and pivoted and check hooked. A chin jab or tiger claw is a better preemptive strike imo you need something fast but also with enough power.
Well I appreciate the thinking process of objectiveness. I was just having some fun at the bag, but the structural element of the combination is something I keep in my muscle memory. That's the biggest reason I practice it. In a real fight, typically the first stike in this combination knocks down a punch, the second strike either is a punch or quite a few times, used to grab hold of whatever is close ...to manipulate for position, or elbow shot. It's handy tho it can be used for offense or defence. This is just practice, and I was having some fun too.

Thanks for engaging in objective conversation.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there any reason that your 5 punches are all vertical fists?

I don't mind throwing a vertical jab, but I want to throw a horizontal cross because the twisting arm can add in more power.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is there any reason that your 5 punches are all vertical fists?

I don't mind throwing a vertical jab, but I want to throw a horizontal cross because the twisting arm can add in more power.
Mostly it's structural. For me, that makes it easier to hook and grab.

Plus, put your 2 fists in front of you in vertical position and rotate them horizontal. Watch what happens to your elbows.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really took down my videos because I had put them on my model airplane youtube channel. I didn't want them there.

This video is of a structural combination. But consider what variation is possible. The punches can also be used for knocking down blocks, grabbing for changing position....and other stuff. My video editor shows the five strikes being in 1.15 seconds. If like some, you don't like it, at least say why.

That bag position is awful.

You should move it.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That bag position is awful.

You should move it.
Sometimes I like to manipulate the bag with my shins and knees. Like stepping thru an opponent's legs during other movements. I'd actually like it a bit lower, but that won't work... I need one that's a foot taller, but I'm not buying a second one, so it's going to be a bit low.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Elbows can stay down with a horizontal punch, too.
There are a couple schools of thought that believe a vertical punch is a more natural structure...my chioce to agree, I decided early on to adapt all the techniques I learned on to Dong Hu Ling's Taiji structure, which also uses a vertical punch. In about 1970. I met a guy that just came back from training with Dong, so I learned it.

I do occasionally rotate my punches 45 degrees or a tad more in the end of the punch, but find that mostly unnecessary.

Last edited:

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What I see is wingchunlike chain punching concept in crappy boxing way. Nor you generate power like boxer (no proper foot work, no hips and shoulders rotation) nor you generate power like chunners and your barrage of punches is just lame. It can work if you are armed with knuckleduster but with bare hands rather not.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I see is wingchunlike chain punching concept in crappy boxing way. Nor you generate power like boxer (no proper foot work, no hips and shoulders rotation) nor you generate power like chunners and your barrage of punches is just lame. It can work if you are armed with knuckleduster but with bare hands rather not.
You still haven't bothered to read where I stated 10 times it's not a serious video. I was just having light-hearted fun. It's really pretty lame of you to think you know everything I'm doing off of one non-serious video. You'll not ever understand why. Right now my bag is on my living room floor so I can't do another video, and probably won't anyway. That's not my purpose. I really am not concerned with what guys like you think. You're wasting space.

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
In Xu Xiaodong VS Ding Hao, Ding tries to chain punch, leg kick and/or grab Xu's leading arm, relying on technique.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Xu Xiaodong VS Ding Hao, Ding tries to chain punch, leg kick and/or grab Xu's leading arm, relying on technique.

So what? I combined several forms into what works for me....and you missed my post where I asked, "does anybody think I use this combination in a street fight".

Follow, or at least read some of the tread. At least a couple guys picked up that I use vertical punches, which opened some discussion.

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
So what? I combined several forms into what works for me....and you missed my post where I asked, "does anybody think I use this combination in a street fight".

Follow, or at least read some of the tread.
I didn't miss it. And I wasn't critiquing your one bag drill. I was going to add "generally speaking."

Latest Discussions