A few questions about JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Goddsdammit…

@Steve

Care to explain what exactly you disagree with in my post? I mean… I'm basically saying that only Japanese Jujutsu systems qualify for discussion of Japanese Jujutsu… can you actually refute that? Or are you just being a jerk with your ratings again, lashing out on a personal issue because you, personally, also don't know what is what in this area?

If the former, show your work. If the latter… frankly? Grow up.

And don't give me the "obviously I disagreed with it… why should I have to explain it?" that you've given before… it won't fly. If you're going to disagree, you should have something to counter it with… or there's no credibility to your usage.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yet again, Tony and Chris are giving you the correct answers in regards to this dropbear. I do not see why you are continuing to argue! Unless it is just to argue?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Goddsdammit…

@Steve

Care to explain what exactly you disagree with in my post? I mean… I'm basically saying that only Japanese Jujutsu systems qualify for discussion of Japanese Jujutsu… can you actually refute that? Or are you just being a jerk with your ratings again, lashing out on a personal issue because you, personally, also don't know what is what in this area?

If the former, show your work. If the latter… frankly? Grow up.

And don't give me the "obviously I disagreed with it… why should I have to explain it?" that you've given before… it won't fly. If you're going to disagree, you should have something to counter it with… or there's no credibility to your usage.
What are you going on about now, Chris? Jesus, man. Can't you see the mods are trying to steer the thread away from this kind of bickering?

As a complete aside, isn't intentionally circumventing the profanity filter a no no?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
He does do that on a regular basis.
The easiest way to end this would be to just acknowledge the point, agree to disagree and move on. Why are you guys so adamant that there be a correct and incorrect on matters of opinion? Shoot, even say, "that's a wacko opinion. I completely disagree." And move on. End of conflict.

Chris literally cannot do that. He doesn't have it in him to amicably disagree and move on.

But sides have been taken. I get it. And now were just supporting our team.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The easiest way to end this would be to just acknowledge the point, agree to disagree and move on. Why are you guys so adamant that there be a correct and incorrect on matters of opinion? Shoot, even say, "that's a wacko opinion. I completely disagree." And move on. End of conflict.

Chris literally cannot do that. He doesn't have it in him to amicably disagree and move on.

You're absolutely right Steve, that would be the easiest way to end this. So, for the sake of expediency and in the name of the regular participants of the Japanese martial arts forums, I formally acknowledge the points that you and droopbear were making (whatever they really were). I also agree to disagree with your opinions, although I will continue to insist, contrary to what others wish me to believe, that gravity is in fact essential to maintaining the earth's orbit around the sun.

Feel better now? :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This isn't an agree to disagree argument. Either a system is from Japan with direct lineage and therefore Japanese Jujutsu or it is not! This forum is for discussion on Japanese Judo/Jujutsu. Not what would be codified American Jujutsu, Brazilian Jiujitsu, etc. That does not mean they cannot be brought up in what differences they are, etc. Yet, in the end this forum is for Japanese Judo/Jujutsu.

Let's move along folks....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Which "you guys" are you referring to? My only posts in this thread (prior to the one you quoted) were discussing the Japanese-ishness of my own art or to ask questions about someone else's point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You're absolutely right Steve, that would be the easiest way to end this. So, for the sake of expediency and in the name of the regular participants of the Japanese martial arts forums, I formally acknowledge the points that you and droopbear were making (whatever they really were). I also agree to disagree with your opinions, although I will continue to insist, contrary to what others wish me to believe, that gravity is in fact essential to maintaining the earth's orbit around the sun.

Feel better now? :)
If you feel better, I feel better. Quick aside, did you mean to write droopbear? Because that made me literally laugh out loud. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This isn't an agree to disagree argument. Either a system is from Japan with direct lineage and therefore Japanese Jujutsu or it is not! This forum is for discussion on Japanese Judo/Jujutsu. Not what would be codified American Jujutsu, Brazilian Jiujitsu, etc. That does not mean they cannot be brought up in what differences they are, etc. Yet, in the end this forum is for Japanese Judo/Jujutsu.

Let's move along folks....
Come on, Brian. That doesn't even make sense. This is exactly an agree to disagree argument. PGSmith has it exactly right.

Here, I'll start: Brian, I think you're wrong. I think Chris is also wrong. But you know what, guys? This is going nowhere, so let's agree to disagree and move on. :)

Man... that felt nice. Warm and fuzzy, even. So, unless Chris launches another profanity laced attack, I'm good.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you feel better, I feel better. Quick aside, did you mean to write droopbear? Because that made me literally laugh out loud. :)

No, but I'll take it!

PGSmith has it exactly right.

I just liked seeing that so much that I had to repeat it! :D

Kum ba yah ... kum ba yah ...

So Gerry, how much of the Japanese names for techniques and movements does NGA retain (other than the name), or is it all in English now?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Thread locked.

For those unclear, for an art to qualify as Japanese, it must have a recognizable connection to Japan. It does not have to be headquartered in Japan, taught in Japan or solely in Japanese, or by people of Japanese heritage. But it does have to have some sort of reasonably recognizable, ongoing connection to Japan.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is clearly NOT a Japanese art. It is a BRAZILIAN art that derived from a Japanese art. It's clearly, demonstrably, and openly gone its own way, and does not maintain a connection with Japan.

A koryu Japanese art, taught and headed by a Westerner, that strives and seeks to maintain the connection and links to its roots in Japan, even if there are no living practitioners in Japan, is Japanese.

I trust the distinction is clear.

jks9199
Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions