A Few Photos from My Last Upper Penninsula Trip!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first photo is from Big Beaver Lake at Pictured Rocks. No one and I mean no one was on the lake but us and also no housing development at all. Definately getting back to nature.

The second photo is Taquannemon Falls at the lowest level I have ever seen it.

The third photo is Miner's Castle from Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Park.

The fourth photo is Munnising Falls.

Nothing quite like being in the great outdoors!!!
icon6.gif

Attachments

• $Big Beaver Lake Fishing.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 195
  • $Taquannemon Falls.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 179
  • $Pictured Rocks Miners Castle.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 180
  • $Munnising Falls.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 194

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, Brian. I really miss Michigan, especially at this time of year.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, have to agree with Tahquamenon Falls being LOW. I've never seen the flowage that low before. Thanks for posting these Brian! The family and I cannot wait to get back home to Michigan next fall for good. These make me homesick.

As a comparison Here is the same location from a few years ago, taken in September of either 2002 or 2003 not sure which.

Attachments

• $tahq2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 181

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those are just beautiful - thanks for sharing!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given the fractiousness becoming evident in other parts of MT, those pics are a haven for the soul, my friend.

Just look at the turqoise waters in pic 3 :wow:!

Sad to see the influence of environmental change in other pics :(.

We can but hope that things will balance themselves out in the end.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sad to see the influence of environmental change in other pics :(.

Don't be too quick to count those chickens, grasshopper. In our country, we have a certain insect called the mayfly. It lives for one day as an adult...long enough to mate and die. If it lands on a tree and never sees the tree move or change, its going to say, "I ain't neva' seen dis tree mof i'my entire life."

We humans are exactly like that. Complete with the personification.

Brian, those pics are so awesome! I especially like the clear sedimentary strata that you captured. It's so amazing to think that every layer you photographed is an entirely different world! And you are soooo close to my neck of the woods! No one EVER from MT gets up here! Hang a left on US Hi 2 for a bit and you'll roll into Superior next time!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, have to agree with Tahquamenon Falls being LOW. I've never seen the flowage that low before. Thanks for posting these Brian! The family and I cannot wait to get back home to Michigan next fall for good. These make me homesick.

As a comparison Here is the same location from a few years ago, taken in September of either 2002 or 2003 not sure which.

Hey Scott this is also how I have always seen the falls. I hope that the low water level is not a permanent thing myself!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure the flow will be back as soon as the UP gets the rain it needs. I know where we went up in Aug. it had been dry for so long everybody was worried. I think after the snow pack melts and hopefully a regular year of rain and it will make a giant difference. What gets everybody is how the river usually runs with a brownish tint and foam when it is going good. Answer: High tannin levels due to the types of trees along the rivers drainage area. Take a dip in the slower areas of the river right at the State Park there and it is like taking a cooler bath in soft water.

Latest Discussions