$80,000.00 per song judgement

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Umm it makes breaking the encryption illegal, it does not make copying the encryption over to the new dvd along with all of the files on the dvd illegal.

And you can make a backup copy without removing the copy protection how? Even if you use software that nullifies the protection scheme and then puts it back, you are still breaking the law. So yes it does.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can do exactly what the MPAA said.
Hook up a camcorder and tape off the tv display. They are ok with that.
Seriously.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer
Umm it makes breaking the encryption illegal, it does not make copying the encryption over to the new dvd along with all of the files on the dvd illegal.
So the makers of DVD Decrypter are making an illegal program? Because that is all that program does... break up the copy protection and prevents it from being part of the file bundle that makes up a movie copy.
But then it's the intent of the person USING the program isn't it?
I dunno, for me it's for my private use and mine alone. Oh sure I may have a friend or two sit down with me and watch it but... well... gee. Is it any different than my using a "legal" copy and showing the movie to a friend or a group of friends sitting at the house with pizza and what nots? They bought the pizza and drinks... so I am profiting by not spending the money on the food or drinks because I have the movie and am showing it to them?

Pretty grey area isn't it?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks,
If you're not lawyers very well versed in the complexities of copyright law... it might be wise to be cautious about trying to say what is and is not legal. All I know is that it's a maze, with lots of on-going litigation -- and that even it something is arguably "legal", the RIAA among others is going after folks for damages... Heck, the NFL even went after a church for having an "unauthorized public showing" of the Superbowl!

That's why I said the whole paradigm needs to shift...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the makers of DVD Decrypter are making an illegal program? Because that is all that program does... break up the copy protection and prevents it from being part of the file bundle that makes up a movie copy.

Yes. And they have been in and out of trouble for it.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And you can make a backup copy without removing the copy protection how? Even if you use software that nullifies the protection scheme and then puts it back, you are still breaking the law. So yes it does.

Without naming the program, the way it works is it does not bypass the copyright encryption program, it simply copies the entire disk including the encryption and puts it on the new copy. Basically it creates a new disk with copyright protection on it. The argument is that since they are copying the disk without bypassing or breaking the encryption they are not breaking the law as written, and are conforming to the fair use policies that were in place before.

Like I said it is going to court, and I have not really checked to see the status but I am pretty sure it is going to be later this year before a decision is reached.

And yes any program like DVXCopy and many others that break the copyright code to copy the disk are currently illegal to use on copyrighted dvds...but are fine to use on other dvds...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeCSS

It's about 6-7 lines of PERL code. Lots of lawsuits, lots of headaches, etc. Best copy I ever saw was written on an red headed Austrailian's body, some years ago.

Was a huge stink about it being illegal to even play a DVD on a Linux box back then.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why? If it's legal, and works as you claim why not name it? Cuz I can't find one... that sure would be useful.
Am thinking it's probably Clone CD/DVD program which I've used several times to good success.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Am thinking it's probably Clone CD/DVD program which I've used several times to good success.

NAh, clone still has to strip the copy protection...

CloneDVD is a flexible and easy to use DVD movie copy software. Without special setting, CloneDVD auto removes all protections (CSS, RC, RCE, UOPs and Sony ARccOS) while copying, lets you freely copy all of your DVD movie collections..

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any program that allows you to copy DVD's is illegal as the MPAA got an exemption to Fair Use and the Backup clauses worked in. The only way they think you should be able to back up a DVD is by pointing a camcorder at the screen. Nothing else.

The RIAA on the otherhand wants a royalty for your ring tones, and for any USED cd's being sold, beyond what they already get from blank media, and ASCAP fees.

Triple Dipping.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Notice the makers of such programs live somewhere overseas in hopes of not being sent to court over it.

The biggest one of them all is DVDFab & Slysoft's AnyDVD.
You can make copies but it has to break the encryption off the DVD first.
Once again..it has to do something illegal.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
If somebody is making copies to make a profit, then I think that's wrong.

If somebody is sharing, not making a profit, I really don't see a problem with it. It's an old, existing precedent! Like I said before, people have been making copies for friends since tapes came out and probably even before that.

It's "word-of-mouth" advertising for the product or artist; most of which would actually be less profitable if it weren't for file sharing!!!!

Latest Discussions