Greedy transnational corporate idiots

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051225/D8ENBNE80.html

WHITE PLAINS, New York (AP) - It was Easter Sunday, and Patricia Santangelo was in church with her kids when she says the music recording industry peeked into her computer and decided to take her to court.
Santangelo says she has never downloaded a single song on her computer, but the industry didn't see it that way. The woman from Wappingers Falls, about 80 miles north of New York City, is among the more than 16,000 people who have been sued for allegedly pirating music through file-sharing computer networks.
"I assumed that when I explained to them who I was and that I wasn't a computer downloader, it would just go away," she said in an interview. "I didn't really understand what it all meant. But they just kept insisting on a financial settlement."
The industry is demanding thousands of dollars to settle the case, but Santangelo, unlike the 3,700 defendants who have already settled, says she will stand on principle and fight the lawsuit.
"It's a moral issue," she said. "I can't sign something that says I agree to stop doing something I never did." If the downloading was done on her computer, Santangelo thinks it may have been the work of a young friend of her children. Santangelo, 43, has been described by a federal judge as "an Internet-illiterate parent, who does not know Kazaa from kazoo, and who can barely retrieve her email." Kazaa is the peer-to-peer software program used to share files.
These music corporations need to find a new way to operate. They are fighting the internet. They will not win.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The surest way to end this type of abuse, is to stop patronizing the companies that support the organizations doing it. Hit them in their profit margin, and they'll back off. Get the word out on WHO, specifically, are the corperate interests doing this. Who's products we should stop buying.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ditto Sgtmac. It was recently revealed that SONY was surreptitiously loading potentially harmful programs, supposedly to prevent music duplication, onto users' hard disks when you simply PLAY one of their music CDs, which you paid for, on your computer. We stopped buying SONY.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Ditto Sgtmac. It was recently revealed that SONY was surreptitiously loading potentially harmful programs, supposedly to prevent music duplication, onto users' hard disks when you simply PLAY one of their music CDs, which you paid for, on your computer. We stopped buying SONY.
I'd be interested in seeing some class-action law suits result from that.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haha,

Although looking at this partial list of CDs containing Sonys little "virus" Id say no one has anything to worry about... ITS ALL CRAP.

Trey Anastasio, Shine (Columbia)
Celine Dion, On ne Change Pas (Epic)
Neil Diamond, 12 Songs (Columbia)
Our Lady Peace, Healthy in Paranoid Times (Columbia)
Chris Botti, To Love Again (Columbia)
Van Zant, Get Right with the Man (Columbia)
Switchfoot, Nothing is Sound (Columbia)
The Coral, The Invisible Invasion (Columbia)
Acceptance, Phantoms (Columbia)
Susie Suh, Susie Suh (Epic)
Amerie, Touch (Columbia)
Life of Agony, Broken Valley (Epic)
Horace Silver Quintet, Silver's Blue (Epic Legacy)
Gerry Mulligan, Jeru (Columbia Legacy)
Dexter Gordon, Manhattan Symphonie (Columbia Legacy)
The Bad Plus, Suspicious Activity (Columbia)
The Dead 60s, The Dead 60s (Epic)
Dion, The Essential Dion (Columbia Legacy)
Natasha Bedingfield, Unwritten (Epic)
Ricky Martin, Life (Columbia) (labeled as XCP, but, oddly, our disc had no protection)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only one on that list that I have heard recently is "Our Lady Of Peace" , and I am not a fan to have bought the CD. :D

Thanks for the link and list Techno!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
The only one on that list that I have heard recently is "Our Lady Of Peace" , and I am not a fan to have bought the CD. :D

Thanks for the link and list Techno!

No problem. The EFF are my heroes.