$50, a bit much?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm learning Wing Chun from this guy who lives out here (Scott Baker's his name), and he charges $50 per lesson (About an hour's worth, or a little more). At first I thought that was a fairly hefty price, but after training with him for several months now (Going about twice a month), I really don't mind paying the price for such quality instruction.

However, everyone else I've talked to, even some fellow martial artists, consider the $50 a bit much to pay even if it is private 1 on 1 lessons.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and here's his website: http://www.wingchunkungfu.com/

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe this.

$50 A CLASS!?!

Hey, I guess if you think that it's worth it, then go for it, but it seems VERY EXPENSIVE to me. I've paid close to $30/2hr class to train with the Grandmaster of a system, & not just some guy.

You might want to look around a little more, open up your options.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a private lesson, yes, that's not too far out of line.

When you remember that a private class still takes prep time, and still has overhead costs (rent, utilities, etc) and the instructor is going to still want to pull a paycheck, it's not cheap.

A class of 15, paying $60 a month. Which is fairly small size and low for fees, is paying $900 / month. Supposing 2 x 1 1/2 hours, thats about 12 hours, or $75 hour.

OP
Nyrotic

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe this.

$50 A CLASS!?!

Hey, I guess if you think that it's worth it, then go for it, but it seems VERY EXPENSIVE to me. I've paid close to $30/2hr class to train with the Grandmaster of a system, & not just some guy.

You might want to look around a little more, open up your options.

Let me rephrase that, he's not really just "some guy" : http://www.wingchunkungfu.com/content/view/36/73/ .

I'm not sure what it is, but strangely, even as a working individual, I do find it worth it. Also, I train the material I learn as much as possible to make it worth far more than $50, however I AM often labeled as a fanatic or extremists by those who know me....

What can I say...I love WC.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I charge that for 1/2 hour of private instruction.

On the other hand, I offer group classes at much lower rate. Private lessons are optional.

Still, that's not bad at all for good private lessons.

OP
Nyrotic

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to say it is worth it myself, and it's not like after the hour is up my instructor disappears from my training. He said that I could call him up everyday as long as I had something to say. He doesn't slack in the training either, if my form is even off by an inch he corrects it. He's still there to help me out with the material he's already taught me.

And I'm not the only student of his out here either, there's several of us that learn from him regularly.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to say it is worth it myself..

Then that's all that matters, honestly. We can only look at the price, and the time; we can't possibly see what you get out of it. And, what you get out of it is what REALLY matters. If you say it's worth it, or would even be worth more, then you're set! Lots of people would love to be in your shoes; training privately for a price they like and getting lots out of it ;)

jim

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I charge about $45 for a half hour for private lessons, but usually, those half hour sessions end up stretching to 45 minutes (no extra charge).

This fellow charging $50 / hour is giving you a pretty darn good rate for 1 on 1 instruction.

If you don't mind paying it, and if you believe that you're getting what you paid for, then it's a fair price.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depending on what they want to cover, I charge between $75 and $125 an hour. On the other hand, I only charge $55 a month for group classes that meet twice a week. To me, the extra money is for the individual attention and the wear and tear on me.

Bottom line, if you feel that you're getting your money's worth, it's a bargain.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't mind paying it, and if you believe that you're getting what you paid for, then it's a fair price.

Bottom line, if you feel that you're getting your money's worth, it's a bargain.

Nyrotic, I think the above quotes are what it all boils down to. It seems kind of pricey to me, but myself and others can't really tell you what it is worth to you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on what they want to cover, I charge between $75 and $125 an hour. On the other hand, I only charge $55 a month for group classes that meet twice a week. To me, the extra money is for the individual attention and the wear and tear on me.

Really that is not much at all. Not for a skill that is something special $50 an hour for private one on one trianing is a bargain.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school charges $50 per month. We dont do private lessons. Closest is Sunday class, simply because normally 2-3 people show up.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds very fair for someone who is both knowledgeable AND noted in wing chun circles. Think of the cost as an investment. If later down the line, you progress far enough to be given the privilege of teaching, you'll be happier having have a well known sifu than one less distinguished.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
For a private lesson? No, it's about average, with some slightly less and some costing more. Personally, I wouldn't pay it, but that's why I don't do private lessons.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase that, he's not really just "some guy" : http://www.wingchunkungfu.com/content/view/36/73/ .

I'm not sure what it is, but strangely, even as a working individual, I do find it worth it. Also, I train the material I learn as much as possible to make it worth far more than $50, however I AM often labeled as a fanatic or extremists by those who know me....

What can I say...I love WC.
If you find it acceptable and feel that you're receiving good return for your money, then the price is reasonable.

If you're dissatisfied, then even $1/hour is too much.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm learning Wing Chun from this guy who lives out here (Scott Baker's his name), and he charges $50 per lesson (About an hour's worth, or a little more). At first I thought that was a fairly hefty price, but after training with him for several months now (Going about twice a month), I really don't mind paying the price for such quality instruction.

However, everyone else I've talked to, even some fellow martial artists, consider the $50 a bit much to pay even if it is private 1 on 1 lessons.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and here's his website: http://www.wingchunkungfu.com/
Theres an Uke born every minute. LOL Get with a group class. You need the body training and you will find you get more lessons for your fifty bucks.
Sean

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on the level of the Instructor...How much would you pay for an hour of any of our more notable higher ranks....Consider their time in the art and what you can get from a 20+ yr veteran...I would not pay that for lessons from a newly ranked BB...If Prof Cerio was still alive how much would you pay for his time.....

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Man... My Wife has been giving me a hard time for years about giving this stuff away. I guess Im just too soft. :wink2:

Economics plays a big part in what people charge for lessons, private or not. The general rule of thought that was passed to me back around 1991 was to take the years of your training and times that by $1.00 a year = ie I've been training consistantly for 21yrs now - so the minimum I should charge for privates is $21.00 per hour.

Most of the time, I just work something out with the student. If they want to train we will work something out. I guess thats why Im still teaching out of my garage or at parks. :yinyang:

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Man... My Wife has been giving me a hard time for years about giving this stuff away. I guess Im just too soft. :wink2:

Economics plays a big part in what people charge for lessons, private or not. The general rule of thought that was passed to me back around 1991 was to take the years of your training and times that by $1.00 a year = ie I've been training consistantly for 21yrs now - so the minimum I should charge for privates is $21.00 per hour.

Most of the time, I just work something out with the student. If they want to train we will work something out. I guess thats why Im still teaching out of my garage or at parks. :yinyang:
Know the feeling....If I only got paid per your rule....I still give stuff away.....cheap...

Latest Discussions