3 levels of MA training

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
this thinking is why that tai chi guy was run over by the MMA guy.
This is why there should be the 4th level and that's "how to move in and how to set up your punch". All 3 levels are "solo training" only. Since MA cannot be train "solo". partner training should be included in the 4th level.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How are you meaning this?

Do you mean it as in you teach it like this e,g you teach a beginner just how to punch with no foot movement.

Or do you mean that's how a beginner would punch
Trying to find the best way to train beginners.

I don't want to take someone's credit here. Adam Hus in Taiwan published 3 books with these 3 levels of training to train beginners (between 6 - 10 age group).

Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why give any bad habits at all just teach them properly from the beginning

As Kung Fu Wang said, trying to teach someone everything at once usually doesn't end well. When I'm teaching swimming (front crawl specifically), if I try and get my beginners to do proper breathing to the side with smooth arms and legs, they will end up floundering in the water trying to do it all at once. So instead I teach them a simplified version of the stroke, with a very basic arm-pull and breathing to the front. Then once they can do that I start getting them to breath to the side. Finally I put in the proper arm-pull that you see the Olympic swimmers do.

Simply put, there is a difference between teaching bad habits, and teaching a simplified version of a movement for easier understanding.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to take someone's credit here. Adam Hus in Taiwan published 3 books with these 3 levels of training to train beginners (between 6 - 10 age group).
you should have specified the concept was for children in the first post.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
learning any activity is about ingraining movement patterns, hitting bags is extremely good at ingraining the pattern of punching a unguarded opponent who stands there and let's you hit hem repeatedly. That may come in handy if your mugged by a punch bag on the way home from the pub. But its a long way short of being able to fight something with legs and arms,its only one step up from punching cinderblock
you have completely missed my point. its not about hitting anything. my point is about spoon feeding little pieces of knowledge VS self exploration

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you should have specified the concept was for children in the first post.
Beginners are beginners. The adult beginners are no different from the children beginners. Sometime the children beginner can learn faster than the adult beginners.

Today, we all want to get into the advance level training ASAP. But we may forget how much time that we had spent on the beginner level training before. We might get A grad, B grad, or even C grade when we were beginners. Nobody will require that we have to have all straight A grade before we can graduate from our elementary school.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you have completely missed my point. its not about hitting anything. my point is about spoon feeding little pieces of knowledge VS self exploration
your point was about bag work being all yoi need.
nor is it a case of spoon feeding, so much as teach in manageable units, so that a skill movement pattern can be established before moving on to the next. The alternative is to try and teach every thing ay once, which is a recipe for learning nothing.

if you are learning the piano, you start with scales. Or chop sticks,

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Beginners are beginners. The adult beginners are no different from the children beginners. Sometime the children beginner can learn faster than the adult beginners.

Today, we all want to get into the advance level training ASAP. But we may forget how much time that we had spent on the beginner level training before. We might get A grad, B grad, or even C grade when we were beginners. Nobody will require that we have to have all straight A grade before we can graduate from our elementary school.

Actually there is a huge difference between adults and children learners. The minds work completely differently and as a result you have to approach teaching adults and children differently.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually there is a huge difference between adults and children learners. The minds work completely differently and as a result you have to approach teaching adults and children differently.
Interesting, in what way?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
their brains work in exactly the same way, only quicker at picking things up. What biological difference are you claiming

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, in what way?

Adult learners are more able to draw on their previous experiences of similar activities, allowing them to make connections between what they are doing and what they have done in the past, and in doing so pick up things quicker. Children naturally don't have as many previous experiences to draw on so are less able to make those connections. Also, adults tend to think about what they are doing more, and the theory behind what is happening, whereas children don't. Children don't really care how they are able to float as long as they can float, whereas adults want to know why. Finally, in my experience, children are far better at copying actions than listening to explanations of what to do. As such when I'm teaching children I spend a lot more time demonstrating the movements, whereas with adults I can generally just tell them what to do, explaining the reasons behind it and they will get it.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
their brains work in exactly the same way, only quicker at picking things up. What biological difference are you claiming

Oh if only they were the same, it would make my job so much easier. Unfortunately they are very different:

How Adults Learn Compared To Younger Learners

And for the studies behind this:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2aca/946a465edab4cfbb9edc43656871309abe72.pdf

Quoting from it:

A critical issue in developmental cognitive neuroscience is the extent to which the functional neuroanatomy underlying task performance differs in adults and children. Direct comparisons of brain activation in the left frontal and extrastriate cortex were made in adults and children (aged 7 to 10 years) performing single-word processing tasks with visual presentation; differences were found in circumscribed frontal and extrastriate regions. Conceivably, these differences could be attributable exclusively to performance discrepancies; alternatively, maturational differences in functional neuroanatomy could exist despite similar performance. Some of the brain regions examined showed differences attributable to age independent of performance, suggesting that maturation of the pattern of regional activations for these tasks is incomplete at age 10.

Last edited:

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
beginners will learn the technqiue on to how to apply it
internidiate know how to apply it but need to be sharpen
advance class are very sharpen and can apply the tecnique good

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Might depend on the teacher, maybe the students, maybe the context.

But it's just a punch, best not to overcomplicate it in my opinion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh if only they were the same, it would make my job so much easier. Unfortunately they are very different:

How Adults Learn Compared To Younger Learners

And for the studies behind this:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2aca/946a465edab4cfbb9edc43656871309abe72.pdf

Quoting from it:
so the brain isn't as developed at under 10, in what way is it fundamentally different, . ? Children learn motor skills faster than adults, have you tried to teach a 40 yo to ride a bike?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started by static feet and stance. But also started trying to use the full body since the beginning. So at the intermediate level it should be there, already. And this separation is no longer applicable... :)
Actually I'm with you on this.

I have always believed that one can enhance his basic after he has fully developed his fighting ability. For example, I prefer to train "dynamic hip throw solo drill" than to train "static horse stance". After I can use my hip throw to throw my opponent, I can still go back to enhance my horse stance if needed. The reason is simple. We can only train sparring when we are young. But we can still train our basic (such as horse stance) when we are 80 years old.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
so the brain isn't as developed at under 10, in what way is it fundamentally different, . ? Children learn motor skills faster than adults, have you tried to teach a 40 yo to ride a bike?

I'm not sure what you are implying here. If a 10 year old's brain is not as developed as an adult's brain, their brains are different. As to how or why they are different, I honestly don't know. I'm not a biologist or neuroscientist. All I know is that if I tried to teach Children the way I teach adults, it doesn't work, and vice versa.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are implying here. If a 10 year old's brain is not as developed as an adult's brain, their brains are different. As to how or why they are different, I honestly don't know. I'm not a biologist or neuroscientist. All I know is that if I tried to teach Children the way I teach adults, it doesn't work, and vice versa.
In this line, and I also don't know much on the subject, what we learn at different stages of life is absorbed differently (so different teaching methods), is understood differently and forever stored differently in the brain. Any neurologist over here to confirm or deny it?

Latest Discussions