2008 Beijing Olympics

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
(I look to see if there was already a thread about this, but didn't find anything. If I missed it, my apologies.)

Hey, all.

I'm just curious how many people are planning on watching the TKD competitions at the 2008 Olympics. It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that WTF TKD isn't very popular on here, so that's what got my curiosity going. I know I intend to be cheering on my fellow Canucks,
Karine Sergerie, Ivett Gonda, and Sebastien Michaud.

cy1982

White Belt
Reaction score
Im watching it definitly! I should be able to get most feeds on it real time.
Sounds more like Quebec(or Alberta since lotsa them over there now) than Canucks ;)

MTL TWD is fairly popular, its just that people bash TWD(mostly MMA fans and the rest) a lot because they dont understand the way it functions as a sport(common, why is his hands down, why are they just looking at each other etc).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will watch it but that does not mean I endrose it, we know all the Lopezs and they are friends of the family plus we have to cheer for the home team the US at least for us.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I plan on watching. Thanks to the magic of DVR, I'll be able to catch it even if it's on at goofy times.

Peace,
Erik

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm watching for sure. DVR is my best friend as well. I think this year should be really good and there should be some awsome match ups(I hope)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
(I look to see if there was already a thread about this, but didn't find anything. If I missed it, my apologies.)

Hey, all.

I'm just curious how many people are planning on watching the TKD competitions at the 2008 Olympics. It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that WTF TKD isn't very popular on here, so that's what got my curiosity going. I know I intend to be cheering on my fellow Canucks, Karine Sergerie, Ivett Gonda, and Sebastien Michaud.
I will certainly be watching it.:D

Just a thought: I don't think that it is so much that the WTF isn't popular, so much as it is not martial. WTF is the governing body that regulates the sport of taekwondo, not the martial art. Since most of us here are more interested in the martial art of taekwondo than we are in the sport, we tend to focus on areas that the WTF does not, such as self defense.

Daniel

estranged13

White Belt
Reaction score
actually I think Germany's Levent Tuncat is going to be the one to watch, I'm from the us but he's prob the only one i'm going to be cheering for.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Even though I do WTF Tae Kwon Do and even enjoy free sparring for the interaction, I just cant stand watching tournament TKD. As mentioned above the hands down point type fighting is just stupid to me. In class I like the Hogu because it makes you score hard which meant you did some damage. I love my art and now focus on the parts that work for me. I was fortunate to start before it became an Olympic sport and learned it as a Martial Art.

Not on my DVR.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to watch repeats, but hopefully we'll have DVR by then. I'll probably end up cheering for the Koreans. Most of the time, the Americans aren't impressive and lose anyway (and I'm American).

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am definatly watching I go to the same dojang as steven lopez who is my favorit tkd practitioner so I have to show my support.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt I'll be watching it or the Judo as I'm stuck with what the BBC or ITV show! We tend only to get little snippets of the 'minority' sports. We may get more if theres British competitors in something. I don't have any way of watching what I actually want to watch.

Latest Discussions