Down Block for Shoot Defense

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Though I can see where your going with this (though I dont know Taegeuk Il-Jang), unless you sweep the arms away early on, its no good.. and theres much better double-leg take down defences than a low block. In the Ch'ang Hon system, theres one in the 2nd dan patterns for a start (Eui-Am)...

IAOMAS-May2006_098.jpg

Technique in action - full resistance.

Stuart

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Basically my thought was to try to apply beginner form motions to high-probability attacks so I wanted to try to work out variations of Taegeuk Il-Jang (first form in the class) that could be used for high-likelihood attacks. Obviously an outer block and high blcok can be used against a lot of punches, but I was thinking of the downblock in the first move but also thinking of defenses against things like bull-rushes, grabs, shoves, etc..

So it's a sorta contrived combination of requirements and I'm still thinking it through on this one...

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is a leg take-down a "high probability" technique?

It certainaly doent figure on the havoc chart (HAVOC = Habitual Acts of Violence + something something)

Stuart

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though I can see where your going with this (though I dont know Taegeuk Il-Jang), unless you sweep the arms away early on, its no good.. and theres much better double-leg take down defences than a low block. In the Ch'ang Hon system, theres one in the 2nd dan patterns for a start (Eui-Am)...
Along those lines, I've thought for a while that the front Chancery looks a lot like a modified circular block as far as take down defenses go.
image14.jpg

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is a leg take-down a "high probability" technique?

It certainaly doent figure on the havoc chart (HAVOC = Habitual Acts of Violence + something something)

Stuart

Not directly no but I got there from thinking of a general rush and grab.

I'd be very interested in seeing the HAVOC chart because that's what I'm thinking of.

I'm really trying to avoid trying to provide explanation for a form technique by resorting to esoteric or unlikely techniques. Starting with some basics and trying to keep it 'likely'

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really don't see it working against a good shoot. Get someone with a background in wrestling and try it. The best thing against a shot is a sprawl.

"Sweeping the opponent's grasp" is actually not the thing you need to focus on when working against a shot. The forward inertia of your opponent, the guy trying to bowl you over, that is the key problem facing you.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really don't see it working against a good shoot. Get someone with a background in wrestling and try it. The best thing against a shot is a sprawl.

"Sweeping the opponent's grasp" is actually not the thing you need to focus on when working against a shot. The forward inertia of your opponent, the guy trying to bowl you over, that is the key problem facing you.
Agreed.

Daniel

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes it is going to be very, very, very hard to make that work against someone that is good with takedowns. The low block requires stability. What good takedown artist is going to shoot in when you are stable?
icon6.gif
I for one am not.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of being stable. My first preference would be to sprawl. That, IMO, seems to be the defense that has a pretty good success rate. :) It may be possible to step back and execute a strike as the person comes in. Ex: stepping one leg back so now you're facing the opponent sideways. Takes one leg out of play, not to say that they still couldn't get a single leg, but at least you have a leg back to possibly aid in the stability. It may be possible to execute a strike to their neck as they come in as well. As you step back, it may also be possible to use your forearms as a defense.

Blocking the arms...I don't see it as a high percentage move, compared to others that are out there.

Mike

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of being stable. My first preference would be to sprawl.
Mike

This seems like an oxymoron to me.

I agree that the arms are not the primary concern, it's the momentum that you have to deal with. Once that mass collides with you, if you are not stable enough, you will be uprooted, then the arms can wrap you up.

Of course it depends on the skill of the shooter... re-directing the arms could redirect the momentum, and if you are moving out of the way as well then that's ok.

But if you have real stability, you change the expected point of contact (earlier), and you initiate contact in such a way as to misalign the shooter, you'll disperse and absorb his momentum, he feels like he's shooting on a tree, and that can't feel good.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Didn't I see this same question on another thread? I'll say the same thing here as I did there: to defend a shoot takedown you MUST move your feet. If you want to you use a "low block" to strike or push on the back of the neck at the same time you sprawl, it might be effective in that capacity, but to stop a shot with just an arm block...not likely.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems like an oxymoron to me.

I agree that the arms are not the primary concern, it's the momentum that you have to deal with. Once that mass collides with you, if you are not stable enough, you will be uprooted, then the arms can wrap you up.

Of course it depends on the skill of the shooter... re-directing the arms could redirect the momentum, and if you are moving out of the way as well then that's ok.

But if you have real stability, you change the expected point of contact (earlier), and you initiate contact in such a way as to misalign the shooter, you'll disperse and absorb his momentum, he feels like he's shooting on a tree, and that can't feel good.

Well, lets look at this. The OP was suggesting to use a downward block. I imagine that the person shooting is going to go for the legs. Are you going to be putting yourself in an awkward position if you attempt a downblock? I would say yes, seeing that the shooter is going to be grabbing around knee level. Are you going to be able to do a downblock at that level without compromising your body? Not likely IMO. A sprawl IMO isn't putting yourself in an awkward position. You're removing the part of the body that is the target, which is the legs.

We have a few things that we can attempt, and if you notice, I gave a few of those examples. Some people may be more comfortable than others on the ground, so they may not prefer the sprawl over something else.

To clarify the part you quoted. If you are not willing to go to the ground with the sprawl, then you will need to have stability with your defense if you prefer to remain upright. Pretty much everything we do standing requires being stable, otherwise the odds of it working are going to be reduced.

Would you do the downward block against a shoot? What would your choice of defense be?

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Didn't I see this same question on another thread?

Yes, I posted it in one forum and linked to it in another to get the opinions of both grapplers and TKD practitioners.

And I've been reading all posts, but I have a tendency to want to comment on every point of agreement or disagreement, so I've back off from commenting every time I wanted to,and just reading and learning : )

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Though probibly the best defence against a double leg takedown.. there is no sprawl in TKD!

If the OP wanted a TKD related technique, Im not sure about other forms, but Ch'ang Hon has them in Eui-Am tul as I mentioned, and though similar in concept to a sprawl, they use the palms pushing down. Though as another poster stated, moving the legs is pretty vital and again, the pattern app does this as standard.. hence why its the app for this defence.

Stuart

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You say there are no sprawls in TKD.

If you look at certain techniques a horse stance could be applied as a sprawl. Don't look at it as just a vertical stance dropping your weight. Look at it as a horizontal movement driving your hips away from the attacker.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And the next part.
What would your choice of defense be?

That depends on so many variables... but I'll re-iterate this much:

"But if you have real stability, you change the expected point of contact (earlier), and you initiate contact in such a way as to misalign the shooter, you'll disperse and absorb his momentum, he feels like he's shooting on a tree, and that can't feel good. "

and sometimes a sprawl is good too.

or an eye-poke

or a knee to the face

as my favorite Kenpo guy says "It Depends"

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
You say there are no sprawls in TKD.
Yes I do!

If you look at certain techniques a horse stance could be applied as a sprawl. Don't look at it as just a vertical stance dropping your weight. Look at it as a horizontal movement driving your hips away from the attacker.
Sorry, as many will know, though I believe that some techniques/applications can contain a bit of "artist license", in the main the pattern technique should rememble the applications.. I dont know any sitting/horse stance movement that resembles a sprawl without some pretty big modifications (like turning the body horizontal, shifting the feet backwards etc.) .. so I still say theres no sprawls in TKD! But hey, if it works for you.. thats great.

Stuart

Ps. Kinda weird a kempo guy telling me whats in and whats not in TKD!!!

Latest Discussions