20 Questions

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's cool, Techno. Can you film me in fighting action and then add special effects and tricky camera shots to make it look like I know what I'm doing?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Current age? Barely 17
Primary martial arts system? Tracy's Kenpo
Secondary martial art - NA
Favorite MA technique (all things being equal)? hmmm... probably drawbridge, because I got to sit on my instructor :)
Years of *active* study in martial arts? 1
Highest rank in a system? today, purple belt... thursday, it'll be blue
Number of siblings? 4
Highest degree earned? Still workin on it
Favorite movie? uh.... star wars, because it had hayden christensen and ewan mcgregor, both
Favorite TV show? hmmm.... ripleys believe it or not
Favorite actor/actress? hayden christensen and ewan mcgregor. and sean biggerstaff.
Favorite book? harry potter
Favorite fictional character (any genre/medium)? Mad Eye Moody
Personal hero/inspiration (fictional or real)? Alana M
Three hobbies (MA doesn’t count ‘cause it’s not a hobby)? Reading, internet, shopping
Dream woman/man (not current partner; non-fictional person; one night stand, not long-term relationship)? I can't pick just one. My instructor. Ewan McGregor. Hayden Christensen. Sean BIggerstaff.
Preferred super power to have? flying
Current occupation? resturant and school
Ideal occupation? kenpo instructor
Best general advice to the world? Dont tug on superman's cape, don't spit into the wind, dont pull the mask off the ol lone ranger and you DONT MESS AROUND WITH JIM

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
Current age? Barely 17

(Bites tongue and refuses to respond.)

Sam said:
Highest rank in a system? today, purple belt... thursday, it'll be blue

I'm not that familiar with your style. Do you have to test for your rank and you're just confident or is it a done-deal? Either way, Congratulations!!

Sam said:
Favorite book? harry potter
Favorite fictional character (any genre/medium)? Mad Eye Moody

The Harry Potter books.movies are great. Why do you like Mad Eye so much? Guess you'll be glad to see the 4th movie then.

Sam said:
Dream woman/man (not current partner; non-fictional person; one night stand, not long-term relationship)? I can't pick just one. (...)Sean BIggerstaff.

Now how many jokes could I make about a guy named that?! lol

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Now how many jokes could I make about a a guy named that?! lol

OMG...show's how preoccupied I am, I didnt even notice that name, wow thats a shocking name, poor guy.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
What's Game Theory?
Daydreaming about games, what makes them fun, designing new games, etc. I don't get to play much because my kids are still very young, other commitments / interests, and general Life Stuff.

Wanting to make games is what got me into computers. I'm otherwise not much of a techie. And now that I've found out I'll probably never work in that industry, I've gone a long way down this road. It's hard to support your family while you learn a new trade, so I stick with the one I've got.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Daydreaming about games, what makes them fun, designing new games, etc. I don't get to play much because my kids are still very young, other commitments / interests, and general Life Stuff.

Wanting to make games is what got me into computers. I'm otherwise not much of a techie. And now that I've found out I'll probably never work in that industry, I've gone a long way down this road. It's hard to support your family while you learn a new trade, so I stick with the one I've got.

Ummm... not quite accurate LOL Its the theory behind games and the mathematics behind it. Check out a nice definition here. Its actually a quite interesting field.

MrH

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current age? - 33
Primary martial arts system? - Kenpo Karate (Tracy's offshoot)
Secondary martial art - Pekiti-Tirsia Kali
Favorite MA technique - Palm heel
Years of *active* study in martial arts? 9
Highest rank in a system? - 2nd Black
Number of siblings? 1
Highest degree earned? - M.S. (Forest Ecosystem Analysis)
Favorite movie? - Almost Famous
Favorite TV show? - Farscape (and yes I'm still mad about it being cancelled)
Favorite actor/actress? - Sean Connery
Favorite book? Last Chance to See - Douglas Adams
Favorite fictional character (any genre/medium)? - Horatio Hornblower
Personal hero/inspiration (fictional or real)? - Martin Luthor King
Three hobbies (MA doesn’t count ‘cause it’s not a hobby)? Reading, wildlife photography, artisan bread baking
Dream woman/man? - I'll take a blond and a brunette: Rachel Weiss and Kate Hudson
Preferred super power to have? - Flight
Current occupation? - Wildlife Biologist
Ideal occupation? - Wildlife Biologist
Best general advice to the world? - Don't take yourself so seriously.

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hulk hear Mrhnau say big words. Make Hulk's head hurt!

No, good definition. Either way, the idea of designing a game is intriguing. At one point not long ago, Wizards of the Coast was taking submissions for a new game world.

I was going to finish out my game world (20 some yrs since I'd started it so it was well-developed) but didn't. The end result of the search was the Eberron game world.

Many RPGs are based on the D20 system. It would be interesting to see something completely different. Or better, to design such a game.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Current age? - 33
Primary martial arts system? - Kenpo Karate (Tracy's offshoot)
Secondary martial art - Pekiti-Tirsia Kali
Favorite MA technique - Palm heel
Years of *active* study in martial arts? 9
Highest rank in a system? - 2nd Black
Number of siblings? 1
Highest degree earned? - M.S. (Forest Ecosystem Analysis)
Favorite movie? - Almost Famous
Favorite actor/actress? - Sean Connery
Favorite book? Last Chance to See - Douglas Adams
Favorite fictional character (any genre/medium)? - Horatio Hornblower
Personal hero/inspiration (fictional or real)? - Martin Luthor King
Three hobbies (MA doesn’t count ‘cause it’s not a hobby)? Reading, wildlife photography, artisan bread baking
Dream woman/man? - I'll take a blond and a brunette: Rachel Weiss and Kate Hudson
Preferred super power to have? - Flight
Current occupation? - Wildlife Biologist
Ideal occupation? - Wildlife Biologist
Best general advice to the world? - Don't take yourself so seriously.

What kind of artisan bread baking, Blindside? I would love to see pics of that and your wildlife :) Very interesting.

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside, "Almost Famous" is my wife's favorite movie too. Personally I can't say I liked it much but I must be missing something. She loves Cameron Crowe's films though.

I see Kate Hudson (of the aforementioned movie) made your "Dream Woman" spot. (The open shirt scene in Almost Famous probably didn't hurt.) Which came first, your love for the film or your lust for her?

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
What kind of artisan bread baking, Blindside? I would love to see pics of that ...

Yeah, me too. I'm ashamed to admit I don't even know what it is.

I must live under a rock or something.

Google what?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:

Google what?

yea me too Blindside, send some pics. and the recipe, I'm always open to new ideals.
Terry

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Blindside, "Almost Famous" is my wife's favorite movie too. Personally I can't say I liked it much but I must be missing something. She loves Cameron Crowe's films though.

I see Kate Hudson (of the aforementioned movie) made your "Dream Woman" spot. (The open shirt scene in Almost Famous probably didn't hurt.) Which came first, your love for the film or your lust for her?

Almost Famous was the first time I had seen her in a movie. Most of Kate's work has been dreadful romantic comedies, but in that movie she got to be hot and a great actress. She carried that movie, so I think the two are intertwined.

Lamont

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:

I hated when they just killed off the two main characters at the end of the season. Then they came back and did a two part ending to the story that did give some what an ending. I hated to see Farscape end. But they did bring back John Crichton--Ben Browder and Aeryn Sun ---Claudia Black to this seasons Star Gate SG1.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Navarre said:

Google what?

Well, it is hard to define, and it isn't necessarily about having an artistic appearance. The BBGA (Bread Bakers Guild of America, of which I am a member) defines artisan bread baking as:

"Perhaps the closest we can come to a definition of artisan baking is to say that it is the work of a knowledgeable, skilled and conscientious baker who is attempting to make the best possible product."

Basically, it represents are return to the hand crafting of bread rather than the mass produced cra... uh, stuff most people see in supermarkets today. Its pretty amazing what one can do with the right technique and some flour, salt, and water. My breads tastes good, but I need to work on the aesthetics department.

Lamont

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Lisa said:
What kind of artisan bread baking, Blindside? I would love to see pics of that and your wildlife :) Very interesting.

I'm working on an online photo gallery, I'll update you when I finish. And before anyone gets their hopes up, I'm strictly an amateur.

Lamont

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside, your craft sounds very interesting. It's the kind of thing one must take great care for and have passion for to have hopes of success.

How did you get into it in the first place? Do you have pictures of the Pillsbury Dough Boy in your family albums or something?

And, yeah, Kate Hudson hasn't had many great roles. Seems a good enough actress though. I haven't seen "Skeleton Key" but my wife liked it. She's also a big fan of Kate.

Kate doesn't make my list of Red Hot Hotties but I think she has a very disarming smile; sweet, impish, and maybe a little wicked.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Ummm... not quite accurate LOL Its the theory behind games and the mathematics behind it. Check out a nice definition here. Its actually a quite interesting field.

MrH

I'm totally accurate, and the wikki definition is for crap. :ultracool

It's like saying that Work is a force acting upon an object to cause a displacement. Accurate for a physics equation, maybe. But bugger all good for actual life.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Hulk hear Mrhnau say big words. Make Hulk's head hurt!

No, good definition. Either way, the idea of designing a game is intriguing. At one point not long ago, Wizards of the Coast was taking submissions for a new game world.

I was going to finish out my game world (20 some yrs since I'd started it so it was well-developed) but didn't. The end result of the search was the Eberron game world.

Many RPGs are based on the D20 system. It would be interesting to see something completely different. Or better, to design such a game.

Well well well, D20 is relatively new to the game field, and if you know the history you can see why.

From Mathematics though:

D6 games are fun but can get deadly real quick. Target number of a 2 means an 83.3% chance to hit, 3 means a 66.6% chance, while a 4 means a 50% chance, and a 5 means a 33.3% chance, and a 6 means 16.6%chance. So while D6 are easy to find in most games, the level jumps real fast.

D&D and AD&D, had D6 Inititive, and D20 for saving throws, and everyotyher combination for damamge and spells and such. This was too confusing for the younger players and too complex.

Palladium was a % based game as were some others, and while this was fun, this had increments of 0.1% increases and such, or at least a 1%, so offsets and such did not help out a lot, and interest was for a certain market.

White Wolf and their Vampire Game, used a D10 game and while this was good, it was not what TSR and a few other companies wanted to be associated with, for game content and game mechanics.

D20, from the third edition of AD&D is a nice jump, the D20 was used for lots of things already, it just became the main stay. So TSR and their worlds did agree to join in the open format.

Sorry for the geek history - and oh yeah I really liked Game Throey as part of My AI class in college. :D

Latest Discussions