2 more months can't hurt...right?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was supposed to test for my 3rd degree black belt in 2 weeks from today. I've been bitten by the injury bug, and I made the decision yesterday to tell my Master I would like to postpone my test. I will probably test in August.

It really sucks, because on the same test, my Mom is supposed to go for her 1st degree, and my Dad for his 2nd degree. We were going to test for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd together as a family, but now that's not happening. (No, they aren't going to wait for me).

But the worst part is...I don't even know what I did! I must be getting old...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Better to wait 2 months than go for it inured and possibly fail

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was supposed to test for my 3rd degree black belt in 2 weeks from today. I've been bitten by the injury bug, and I made the decision yesterday to tell my Master I would like to postpone my test. I will probably test in August.

It really sucks, because on the same test, my Mom is supposed to go for her 1st degree, and my Dad for his 2nd degree. We were going to test for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd together as a family, but now that's not happening. (No, they aren't going to wait for me).

Tough break on the injury, I hope you quickly recover. My 3rd Dan testing was by far my hardest and looking back the most fulfilling. Process the disappointment of not testing with the parents, get healed up and pour yourself into August. Make it worth the wait instead of rushing into another letdown.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah sorry to hear that mate, it would be rather disappointing. But yeah I guess injuries are usually a sign that we need to slow down or that we need to address something.

I hope you heal up nicely and can look forward to your test with vigour and excitement when it comes (which won't be too long away) :)

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The weird thing is...I'm not the only one. We've got a guy quite a bit older than me who also has a knee thing, and a teenager who had one of those freak injuries where you get hit in the foot juuuuust right and it makes your leg swell up for a few months.

The other two are supposed to go for 1st degree black belt in the same test as me...and we've all rescheduled to the same test in August. As the teenager says, it will be the handicapped test.

We still will have about 10 people going for black belt, and I'll at least be there at the judges' table.

Anyway, it had been getting better but I felt a sharp flare-up of pain earlier today, so I plan to get it checked out next week if I can.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If your Mums young enough to go for a first backbeIt , you can't be old, over extended your knee doing silly tkD, kicks at a guess, take three aspirin Put an elastic stocking on and get on with it, or at the very least seek a medical opinion BEFORE canceling your test, you could be right as rain in two weeks,

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your Mums young enough to go for a first backbeIt , you can't be old

A guy at our school got his first dan last year, in his 60s - and he's not exactly the oldest to do so...

It's entirely possible to be in your 60s yourself and still have a parent going for first dan.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The weird thing is...I'm not the only one. We've got a guy quite a bit older than me who also has a knee thing, and a teenager who had one of those freak injuries where you get hit in the foot juuuuust right and it makes your leg swell up for a few months.

The other two are supposed to go for 1st degree black belt in the same test as me...and we've all rescheduled to the same test in August. As the teenager says, it will be the handicapped test.

We still will have about 10 people going for black belt, and I'll at least be there at the judges' table.

Anyway, it had been getting better but I felt a sharp flare-up of pain earlier today, so I plan to get it checked out next week if I can.
Well if multiple people are injured at the same time with similar injury maybe your school needs to look at how they're training

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A guy at our school got his first dan last year, in his 60s - and he's not exactly the oldest to do so...

It's entirely possible to be in your 60s yourself and still have a parent going for first dan.
Entirely possible? , 85 year old getting awarded black belts are not entirely possible, they are eExtremely unli k ely but not entirely impOssible, not unless it's one of those schools that give them away for attendance.

But the substance of my post, is even if you black belt partner is 60,( slightly more realistic) then you are ONLY going to be in your 40 at most and that's NOT old

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
A 60 year old can legally have a 76 year old parent, and I know a couple of people in their 70s who can run rings around average teenagers...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A 60 year old can legally have a 76 year old parent, and I know a couple of people in their 70s who can run rings around average teenagers...
It's not illegal to have a parent less than 16older, it's just not that common.

I really doubt you do know people in their 70s who can out perform a teenager, not unless it's one of those fat never take any excercise teenagers

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if multiple people are injured at the same time with similar injury maybe your school needs to look at how they're training

One person suffered a crushed blood vessel in their ankle. I think either they accidentally got stepped on or they kicked someone's elbow or something like that. The other two of us are older. We have different injuries.

We have about 150-200 students at our school. We have someone take a lasting injury maybe once every other month, on average. It's just that the three of us happen to be injured at the same time. It's not like we're practicing full-contact kicks to the knee.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I really doubt you do know people in their 70s who can out perform a teenager, not unless it's one of those fat never take any excercise teenagers
My father-in-law is 82 years old and still goes to the woods cutting timber everyday. He has Popeye arms and hands that I never want to be hit by. It sounds like you are speaking from the ignorance of youth but, yes, the 70 year old can out perform some but not all youth.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Legal age to marry in TN is 18. Yes parents can consent.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My father-in-law is 82 years old and still goes to the woods cutting timber everyday. He has Popeye arms and hands that I never want to be hit by. It sounds like you are speaking from the ignorance of youth but, yes, the 70 year old can out perform some but not all youth.
Ok point me out some Olympic medal winners who were 70 when they won their medal,

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok point me out some Olympic medal winners who were 70 when they won their medal,

That's a pathetic request really. You're on about the professed pinnacle of physical achievement, that's hardly average.

Point me out an average teenager who has won an Olympic medal.

And I'm talking average teenager here, the ones you see around town or on the school bus - I can outdo most of them...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a pathetic request really. You're on about the professed pinnacle of physical achievement, that's hardly average.

Point me out an average teenager who has won an Olympic medal.

And I'm talking average teenager here, the ones you see around town or on the school bus - I can outdo most of them...
Your not 70 are you, so you want to start another discussion on a40 odd year old can out perform teenagers.

That's still leave s the question of out perform them at what exactly, an older teenager who trains will out do you at most things , arguing that you can beat an unspecified teenager at unspecified things is silLy, I can beat most of them at pool, I can't catch them in a 50 yard cash playing 5 aside

If your insisting on average teen ager, you need to compare them with an average 70 yo

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I saw a guy competing in wrestling in the Empire State Games a while back. He said he was 68. Ex-Marine. Threw around quite a few college wrestlers. None of them were slouches by any stretch of the imagination. He had to withdraw after the doc and I reduced his shoulder dislocation. He wasn’t happy about it, but he knew it was the right thing.

He was in better shape at 68 than most people have ever been at any point in their lives.

That guy was a machine. But yeah, I never saw that before nor since, hence why it still sticks out 20+ years later. But they’re out there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw a guy competing in wrestling in the Empire State Games a while back. He said he was 68. Ex-Marine. Threw around quite a few college wrestlers. None of them were slouches by any stretch of the imagination. He had to withdraw after the doc and I reduced his shoulder dislocation. He wasn’t happy about it, but he knew it was the right thing.

He was in better shape at 68 than most people have ever been at any point in their lives.

That guy was a machine. But yeah, I never saw that before nor since, hence why it still sticks out 20+ years later. But they’re out there.
Yes they are, but as you rightly say, they are so unusual that single examples stay with you, the issue is people are taking care genetic abnormalities and trying to build a case that it's possible for every 70 year old to out perform 19 year olds.

I'm the Fittest 59 year old I know, and I get fitter with every year that passes, only because at 55 I was in Terrible shape, you can't hold me up to show that all 59 year olds should be able to do 5 min mile

Though I admit I enjoy out pacing 30 Yo, joggers in all the expensive gear, in jeans a pair of combat boots and with a cig, in my moulth

Last edited: