2 - hours, custom intro, what do you do?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, here's the scenario.

You got two hours to introduce someone to the martial arts. It's just you and them, one on one, Doesn't matter if you've been training 2-weeks or 20 years you can still answer.

But the goal is to convice this person what you know is worth learning, said person is just an average person, no goals yet, in decent shape, knows nothing.

What's the lesson plan?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sit down and watch a kung fu movie and see if they want to play in the backyard afterward. Whip out the plastic ninja weapons and have fun. If the other person is of age, enjoy some adult beverages.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wouldn't a one on one demonstration suffice? Let him attack you and using your most simple techniques defeat him..It worked for me..I'm sure the others will have far more informative posts..Let us know how it turns out..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Ok, here's the scenario.

You got two hours to introduce someone to the martial arts. It's just you and them, one on one, Doesn't matter if you've been training 2-weeks or 20 years you can still answer.

But the goal is to convice this person what you know is worth learning, said person is just an average person, no goals yet, in decent shape, knows nothing.

What's the lesson plan?

Start off with their goals, and a brief overview of the art. Start off slow, showing the basics first. IMO, without basics, the advanced material is not going to be of any use to them. Some blocks, punches, and kicks, having them perform them in the air and on a target. Move on to a basic SD technique. Have them observe some of the more advanced material and in closing, a Q&A session.

Mike

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe there are so many reasons to do MA that if you cannot define a goal then it will be hard to determine a course of teaching for motivation. You could spend two hours teaching some self-defense and they may come back with "but O carry a gun and don't go to bad parts of town" and then you have another two hour or more discussion on trying to convince them that isn't sufficient. Or two hours talking about conditioning and they'll say "yeah but I can go to the gym and not get hurt" or "that's cool, but it's pretty useless if I ever get attacked" or..

You are basically trying to complete the statenent of "Martial Arts is important for *you* because...." where the answer of how martial arts fits a need is highly dependent on the need, or even the perception of the need

But in absence of a defined goal, you should spread it out, a little SD, a little fun sport competition, a little conditioning, etc...

I would be wary of allowing them to attack you and defending to prove it works. This could lead to injuries of body and ego. If you want to go with a live-fire demonstration approach, bring a partner and have them suggest an attack and then have the partner do the attack.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is an interesting question Andrew. In my opinion and given that scenario, while I would demonstrate a technique or two, I would also focus the 2 hours on self improvement. How the martial arts makes you a better person, not just self defense, of course that is a key component; but how its also made you the person that you are. In my case for example, Martial Arts have always helped me attain peace within myself, be happy with who I am, be more patient especially when I set myself goals I can not accomplish at the time I want to, but at the same time understanding that nothing is impossible, understanding people that piss you off at one point or another in life, it just makes you a better person, that is what I would focus on, self improvement.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the things that I think should be stressed is fun. I think that if one gets too serious when introducing something, one can turn the other person off.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the things that I think should be stressed is fun. I think that if one gets too serious when introducing something, one can turn the other person off.

Good point!

T

TheBattousai

I've had this happen to me on a few occassions, and all I did was act like its another day of training and treat it like we were at the dojo. We (me and whoever) would do a taiso (or warm ups); which include push-ups, sit-ups, light streches, and other things. Then have the rest of the time dedicated to regular training and going over the basics that they would normally in the dojo. If they had a special request to study over something specific, then I'd cover that and include how it relates to the rest of the art. Also, I would take the time to answer any questions that I could during the session (i.e. history of the art, whats the difference between this that and the other, etc.)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quite simply, I would take half an hour and put them through an introductory lesson. It's designed to do just what you're asking. If that's not enough, then I'll put them through the second lesson, which still leaves me an hour for the third and fourth, if necessary. If it's someone new to MA, I would keep comments about the "how and why" simple. If it was someone experienced, I would be more detailed.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Having fun is the best reason for someone to take up martial arts. With that in mind, you might want to try teaching this person some simple things that demonstrate how much potential power the human body can have. Try to focus on showing them what they can do. I think that drills that teach them to defend against your attacks might work for this.

And I know many people here are not fans of board breaking, but you might consider teaching them to break one board. It takes about 5 minutes to teach that to someone, and the "high" that comes from breaking through a solid object the first time is a memory that stays with you a little while.

Start off with stretches and warm-up exercises first. (But I don't need to tell you that, do I? ;) )

Z

Zorba

have they come to you and said, hey, im interested in MA, can you tell us a bit about it, or are you just trying to convince a mate to join up.

situation 1 would be more like showing them some moves and all that jazz. situation 2 would be something like, hey, i do this MA, you should give it a go because of *list benefits of MA here*

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first thing I address with a potential new student is thier goal. Are they looking to learn self defense? Or are they wanting to compete? Or are they interested in the art itself?

IMHO, MA can be divide into these 3 catagories. Sport, Self-Defense, and Performance. They all have different goals.

“Sport” martial arts are those geared toward competition. The driving principles behind your maneuvers are to score points in accordance with a predetermined set of rules. Some examples would be Americanized Tai-Kwon-Do or Olympic style Judo.

“Performance” martial arts are geared toward just that, performing for an audience. These types are not as prevalent in the Western hemisphere as in the East. Wushu Kung Fu is an example. When China became a communist country it outlawed forms of self-defense. So, the people disguised their martial art by adapting it into plays and opera. The movements are greatly exaggerated and flamboyant as a result as the goal is ultimately to entertain.

“Self-Defense” type arts are geared solely toward protecting yourself and others because of an imminent threat to life or limb. The guiding principles are based on nothing other than protection; there are no rules in the street. Kenpo is a “self-defense” martial art. So, depending on your goals, you may want to investigate a particular school and/or style before simply jumping in and taking classes.

Your goal will determine what type of "art" you should study.

K

kmguy8

what celtic_crippler said...spot on! (although I'd add military to the list)

good book on breaking down into catagories the reasons people do and how they practice MA is called "the fighting arts"... brilliant book I recommend to anyone looking for a style or considering the arts... it is not a cheesy MA encyclopedia of styles.. rather a breakdown of sporting, traditional and military based styles....

look ASK them... then show them what they want
ASK them what they would like to learn to defend

and like everyone has said.. try to keep it light and fun....

if they are experienced make sure not to claim your art is the end all be all and be sure to inquire what they would do or teach... respect thier opinions and use them as a point of departure for the discussion...

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This reminds me of that Talmudic story where this fellow demands that Hillel teach him the entire Torah (Jewish law) while he stands on one foot. Hillel says, "That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

Bottom line: I wouldn't spend two hours. I'd talk to him, encourage him to take an introductory class and experience it for himself.