Teaching across language barrier

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever accepted, as a student, someone who didn't speak your language? Would any instructors consider teaching a class in Spanish and English? If not, is that fair to someone who would like to learn your martial art? Would it create too many problems?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a student of a Tai Chi instructor with virtually no English. Occasionally her saughter would stop by and translate if it was something important.

In Alb. there's a kung fu teacher who teaches in Chinese only, on purpose!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much of MA can be taught with demonstration and gesture - while I've never had a student with a different oral language, I did have one who was deaf and used ASL and a notepad - she was quite good at copying movements, and we created signals for various patterns, exercises and drills. I also know of a deaf man who earned, I think (it's been some years) either his II or III Dan BB - he had a friend in class who was fluent in ASL, and was constantly looking at her for instructions. Given my choice, I would rather work out signals such as I did with my student (she had other health problems and was unable to continue - the oxygen tank kept getting in the way) than have to rely on another student; what would you do on the one night that the deaf student came and the translator didn't?

Also, since we use Korean terms in class that everyone has to learn, I think that would help non-English speakers; it would just mean that all directions would have to be demonstrated until they learned the Korean terms, rather than giving the Korean and English terms together until new students learn the Korean, which is what generally happens.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm currently a student of a Korean Taekwondo instructor who speaks very little English. After awhile you get to recognize the sounds of the phrases he means for certain stances, motions, etc...even if you don't kow the words.

Most importantly it's taught me to focus much harder on watching his every move. He teaches a lot through demonstration and *everything* is important, down to subtle had and foot placements (because he will let you know if you have it wrong) . It's taught me to be much more focused and attentive.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I taught a mostly spanish speaking class one day and I do not speak spanish. A few of the students who did speak both lanquges would translate if a question was aked but most of the class was taught by me moveing and the class trying to duplicate what I did. I would then go around the class and stop students and slowly show them corrections in the technique

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I taught a mostly spanish speaking class one day and I do not speak spanish. A few of the students who did speak both lanquges would translate if a question was aked but most of the class was taught by me moveing and the class trying to duplicate what I did. I would then go around the class and stop students and slowly show them corrections in the technique

I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but your post made me think of this.

A few months ago Chen Zhenglei came to my area and taught a seminar. Chen Zhengei teaches seminars all over America. Chen Zhenglei speaks no English.

Chen would demonstrate the forms and my wife was the translator for the class if needed. Chen would give instruction in Mandarin; my wife would translate to English. If Chen saw something wrong he would physically adjust the student. If anyone had a question it was translated.

The class went very well.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I help teach in a predominantly Spanish-speaking karate class. In April, I will have my own TKD class in the same neighborhood. I start taking Spanish at the local community college next month.

To attract students, I need to speak their language. When instructors came (& still come) from Asia, they learn English. If I teach in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood, I'm learning Spanish.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor generaly teaches in the language of whatever country he teaches in. I'm still struggling with English and its my native toungue.:idunno:
Sean

boricuatkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Has anyone here ever accepted, as a student, someone who didn't speak your language? Would any instructors consider teaching a class in Spanish and English? If not, is that fair to someone who would like to learn your martial art? Would it create too many problems?

We receive many students who don't speak English at our school. For the most part, Spanish is their 1st language. This for me is not a problem since it is my first language as well. However, when I am not there, sometimes it proves to be a little challenging for my husband and the other instructors. But they all manage through modeling and with the help of other students. We also get many students who speak arabic. Its hard at first but when they learn the routine they learn to follow. For most of our parents they like it because it helps them and their children improve their use of English.
As a school teacher, I just take my strategies for teaching English to my ESL students and apply them to teaching tkd to my non-english/spanish speakers in tkd class. It works out just fine. Language should not be a barrier for someone who has a desire to learn the art.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We've had a few students who grasp of the English language was, shall we say, tenuous at best. Non verbal communication is the key. Body language and demonstration become very important.

Latest Discussions