1st Dan Breaking Requirements...

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Most TKD students will be required to demonstrate breaking for their gradings from about 6th kup and greater. Generally these are basic techniques preformed against a minimal quantity of breaking material!

I am wondering what advancements in this process take place in your dojang for the potential 1st degree BB. What technical requirements and what addition of breaking material?

Those of you that instruct, grade, or have graded beyond 1st kup...what are the requirements (technique, number of boards, ect.) of your dojang when testing for Cho-Dan?

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Side note - Colored belts, feel free to add your requirements as they too are greatly appreciated

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For my first dan test the required break was a triple roundhouse, one foot, three different boards without setting down. From there we had various breaks we could chose from.I did a 3 board forearm, 3 board knifehand, 2 board 360 axe kick, 3 board front kick, and double front kick(one board each foot, jump and break both at same time). All breaks were held by people and there were no spacers.

I think it went like this:

Required - Triple Roundhouse

(3 boards men, 2 women) Choose any 2:
Knifehand
Hammerfist
Forearm

Choose any three:
Front kick (3 men, 2 women)
Double front kick
360 Axe kick (2 boards)
Jump Back Kick (3 men, 2 women)

I may have missed a few, but that's what I can remember.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, my instructor recently tested for 4th Dan and some of his breaks were

Double Front kick, double punch ( 1 board each, all in the air)

4 board forearm
3 board ridgehand
2 board 360 front kick (only one end of the boards held)
3 or 4 board 540 back kick

Can't remember much more...

D

Disco

Breaking requirements for Cho-Dan

1. Two power breaks, (2 boards - Female / 3 boards - Male (size appropriate).
Students choice of technique.
2. Two speed breaks, (1 board - hand and foot technique - students choice).
3. The gauntlet break. 6 holders, 1 or 2 boards, either in a circle or straight
line. Six different breaks that flow from one to the other and 4 of 6 must
be broken on the first attempt.
4. Optional break - Students chance to show off and it's usually a jump
spinning type kick.

R

rcw23

bignick wrote: "Also, my instructor recently tested for 4th Dan and some of his breaks were

Double Front kick, double punch ( 1 board each, all in the air)

4 board forearm
3 board ridgehand
2 board 360 front kick (only one end of the boards held)
3 or 4 board 540 back kick

Can't remember much more..."

That is a pretty impressive break list. I would love to do the 540 (the double front kick, double punch is way out of my league for the time being). Perhaps it will be a new year's resolution.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever you feel you are capable of at the time, although your Instructor will definitely give input and coaching. Generally, a 1st Dan break should reflect a solid grasp of basic technique. The fancier techniques are left for 2nd and 3rd Dan testing.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For when I am ready to test for 3rd dan I have a few options.

a.) Continueous Side kick/ round kick break (Break two boards with a lead leg side kick, keep the leg in the air, then break two boards with a round kick.) and a knifehand strike speed break. (One holder holds onto the boards with one hand)

b.) Running jump side kick over 3 people and a back elbow strike break.

c.)A jump round kick at head level and an inside hammer fist.

For my instructor's break (6th dan) he did a double front kick (two seperate front kicks breaking at two different heights), then without setting the foot down looked straight behind him and broke with a reverse kick, then as he landed broke with a backfist strike to the side, then turned towards his left and broke with a jump 360 side kick.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I believe it really depends on the dojang where you train and your Sabumnim's specific requirements. I remember for my BB test we needed to accomplish several tasks to demonstrate that we had mastered the color belt curriculum.

We needed to perform the one-steps, self-defense techniques, all of the WTF color belt poomse in addition to Koryo, full contact sparring, conditioning/aerobic excercising and, yes, the board breaking techniques. We needed to complete multiple station board breaks using both our feet, and hands. It included all of the standard TKD kicks and hand techniques. It wasn't easy, and it shouldn't be if one wants to earn and wear a BB.

Like I said, where you train determines what type of hellacious activities you must endure to earn that coveted BLACK. To me personally, it was all worth it though... :asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.

My first dan breaking was as follows...

1. Jump spinning hook speed break.
2. Front snap kick - front punch combination on the same side in different directions.
3. Jump spinning side - three boards.

My second dan test had the following...

1. Jump split front kick at head level. Two boards on each side.
2. Three inch punch - one board.
3. Jump spinning side - four boards

(I completed these breaks post test because my original test ended with three broken ribs.)

For my third dan I can expect...

1. Two kicks and one hand in the air - two boards for each kick, one on the hand.
2. Jump spinning back - five boards
3. Two kicks two hands speed break succession - one board each - all breaks done in under two seconds.
4. Palm strike - five bricks no spacers.

Out of everything on my list for my next grading, this gives me pause. It is truly a daunting challenge...

upnorthkyosa

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow

All I can say is 'wow'

I admit I can't conceive of generating the speed and power needed to do many of these moves. I'm really impressed with everyone who has made it that far an succeeded

I pray someday I'll be there with you

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I require all basic kicks: front/side/round/back/ax. If an adult is testing, I require basic hand techniques: front punch, hammer fist, ridge hand, knife hand. I don't require kids to break with their hands except for palm heel.

We have a regular breaking class each month where we work on conditioning the attacking tool, proper holding of the board, etc. I don't think it is especially helpful to have someone test for a belt and ask them to do a break in front of an audience that they've not done in class.

Miles

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

During the testing for 1st Degree in our dojang breaking is as follows:

Hand Techniques - Forefist 2-3 boards
Knifehand & Rev. Knifehand 2-3 boards
Elbow Thrust 2-3 boards
(plus anything else asked to preform)

Kicking Techniques - Front Snap Kick 2-3 boards
Turning Kick 2-3 boards
Sidekick 2-3 boards
Twisting Kick 1-2 boards
Spinning Back Kick 2-3 boards
Flying Side Kick w/ obstacles

Additional Techniques - These vary depending on the individual testing, some are asked to do multiple direction breaks, multiple arial breaks, and others individual advanced techniques...examples are as follows:

Twin Leg Flying Side Kick, Double Jump Front Kick, Flying Side Kick + Turning Kick, Reflex Kick, ect.

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey said:
........Twin Leg Flying Side Kick, Double Jump Front Kick, Flying Side Kick + Turning Kick, Reflex Kick, ect.
Spookey
Spookey,

What is a "reflex kick?"

Thanks!

Miles

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Miles,

A "reflex kick" is also called a rebound kick...it is where you run up and jump onto something (a wall, a persons chest, ect.) and use that object to redirect yourself onto a target at another angle. Please see the video section at www.raynerslanetkd.com ("Destruction, Reverse Rebound Kick") for reference!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that my dojangs BB test includes:

• A three station break with one board(?) at each station. The testee picks three different tech and does them one after another.
  • Cinder paver with a palm strike
  • 1 board with a Spinning Hook kick while blind folded.
There may be more, but I have awhile before, I have to worry about them.

9th kup was 1 board, hammer fist. I'm left handed, so I used my left hand for that one.
8th kup was the same as 9th kup, but I switched hands.

My next test I will by forward elbow strike. After that the breaks require kicking techniques.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Rec. BB test breaking requirements at 50 yrs. old. was:
1) jump spin heel one board head level, 2 finger hold (speed break)
2) 3 boards palm strike
3) 1 board held with one hand broken knife with the other (speed break)
4) 360° jump spin sidekick 2 boards chest level

1st Dan breaking requirements: at 50
1) flying sidekick three boards chest level
2) palm strike cement patio block
3) floor sweep-spin heel- 1board resting on edge on the floor (speed break)

2nd Dan breaking: age 53
1) chambered sidekick 2 bds.
2) knife 1 patio block
3) dropped board spin heel 1 bd. (speed break)
4) jumpback 2 bds and immediate jump spin heel through 1 on the other foot with a 2 finger hold (speed break)(only break I have not accomplished although I have cracked the top board (second break in combination) three times. Holding me back from getting 2nd dan at age 55. Hoping 2005 will be a better year, God willing. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TW, I admire your indomitable spirit! Those breaks are all pretty challenging-I especially love speed breaks.

Miles

Latest Discussions