18oz gloves for bag and pad work?

Mikeytkdb

White Belt
Reaction score
Iv been trainning for a long time now but recently have been working on my upper body strength,
As im mainly a kicker when i fight

When i spar or enter a comp i use 10 - 12 oz gloves as its normaly semi contact fighting,

But i was woundering for just bag work and pad work would using a heavy 18 oz or 16 oz glove make a differance for up upper body strength?

Cheers

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bought some bag gloves a long time ago, and used them for awhile. They're nice. However, over time I discovered I could hit much harder with no gloves at all. The skin on my knuckles paid the price for awhile, but I eventually got used to it. For me, it has increased my ability to hit hard, with or without gloves.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're training for sport, and gloves are worn, then wear gloves for bag work. I don't think the weight of the glove will have any significant impact (see what I did there?) on your strength, since you're not building strength doing bag work.
If you're not training for sport, learn to do bag work bare handed. Start with light bag gloves, then wraps alone, and then bare handed.
The techniques for punching with gloves is not the same as punching bare handed.

OP
M

Mikeytkdb

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah More on the sport side, i do condition my hands aswell for breaking and traditional trainning,

Was woundering more on the weight as in if i train hit pads with heavier gloves would it then make me stronger quicker when i fight wearing 10-12 oz gloves, i did ask a boxer mate but he said he wasnt sure as he trains with 14oz and fights with 16-18 oz so was hard for him to say

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know guys who train with weighted gloves and they say it helps.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aren't weighted gloves usually 2 or 3 lbs, though? I doubt going from a 12oz glove to a 18oz glove is going to give you the same benefit.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Training in heavier gloves doesnt make a huge impact of physical strength

Its much more about making your fight gloves feel lighter when you're dead tighter

Like training 9 rounds at 3 minutes, with 30 second rest for a 3 round fight at 3 minute rounds with one minute rest

Theyll slim up your arms and help for conditioning, but thats about it

Latest Discussions