11:45am -2: 15pm Workout Smashed it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Round 1 of today's workout is complete. I survived it and even got a few sample videos of some of the training I do. Today's training kind of reminds me of how I used to train when I was in 19. It's been a while since I've felt like this. I'm not sure if training in the day morning makes me feel like this vs training at night. But I definitely feel good.

2 more months like this and I'm going to out Muscle my MMA sparring partner. I haven't trained with him in about 3 months. The last time I told him that I was coming after him. So it's own. Old vs Young. I'm looking forward to out muscle and out hustle him.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1 hour till show time. feeling sleepy

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Round 2 smashing it. Old man strength kicked in. Lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many years ago, a guy walked into my school. He wanted to learn how to fight. But he didn't want to learn any basic, technique, stretching, form, ... In the following 8 months, he and I met 4 times a week and 2 hours per class. All we did was putting on gloves and tried to knock each other down (no control at all). Sometime I had to hit him on the same spot multiple times to stop him.

In those 8 months, my body felt pain 24-7. After those 8 months, my body stopped feeling pain, I started to feel very uncomfortable as if to feel pain is normal and don't feel pain is abnormal.

I believe 8 months, 4 times a week, 2 hours each session for "full contact training" can give you very good result.

I still miss those good old days.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been checking here waiting for video of you sparring with eh MMA guy for a while.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been checking here waiting for video of you sparring with eh MMA guy for a while.
He's in college and is currently taking classes at night, because of that he works out in the morning. I work out at night because I work in the morning... sooo. it's going to be a while. I haven't sparred with him since January or some time around the earlier part of the year. Until them. I'm training to get ahead of him. He's training and making sure that I don't. That and studying to be an engineer.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Round 1 of today's workout is complete. I survived it and even got a few sample videos of some of the training I do. Today's training kind of reminds me of how I used to train when I was in 19. It's been a while since I've felt like this. I'm not sure if training in the day morning makes me feel like this vs training at night. But I definitely feel good.

2 more months like this and I'm going to out Muscle my MMA sparring partner. I haven't trained with him in about 3 months. The last time I told him that I was coming after him. So it's own. Old vs Young. I'm looking forward to out muscle and out hustle him.
Good luck with the plan. Old vs young is always an interesting gauge of where we are. Hopefully it will push the both of you to become better versions of yourselves.

I would be interested to see some of your videos. I’ve recently gone back to the gym myself. I’m looking to supplement my tatami time with cardio and strength training. Only 3 days a week but they are in the morning of my karate days. I have active rest days in between and 1 passive rest day. Seems to be working better than alternating days between karate and gym days. Well, so far……

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hopefully it will push the both of you to become better versions of yourselves.
That's what I like about him. If I know he's training hard, then I'm putting in the extra work. If he knows I'm training hard then he does the same. He's much younger than me so he's got the benefit of faster recovery and fewer injuries. My gears have been running for 50 years so I have a lot of wear and tear. Things break faster. But every now and then I "wow" the younger guys. To me it's not a big deal but to them it's like I'm doing some kind of insane act of strength. While they are saying "wow" I'm looking at them as if they are crazy because it's just simple strength building training. I say "Wow" when I see them dead lift and wish my back could handle the stress of it.

I'm pulling some video off my phone now.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's what I like about him. If I know he's training hard, then I'm putting in the extra work. If he knows I'm training hard then he does the same. He's much younger than me so he's got the benefit of faster recovery and fewer injuries. My gears have been running for 50 years so I have a lot of wear and tear. Things break faster. But every now and then I "wow" the younger guys. To me it's not a big deal but to them it's like I'm doing some kind of insane act of strength. While they are saying "wow" I'm looking at them as if they are crazy because it's just simple strength building training. I say "Wow" when I see them dead lift and wish my back could handle the stress of it.

I'm pulling some video off my phone now.
Good on ya, man. If it motivates you to grind then it’s a plus. I hear you about injuries especially in the lower back region. I’ve had issues with lower back pain for years until I met this osteopath who seemed to be the only one that could put Humpty Dumpty back together again and remain in the training schedule. Her words were, “I can keep fixing you up or you can start working more on your core to stay off my table”. Now I did core but apparently it wasn’t quite enough or the right exercises. I spent the next few years focusing on just this area and am happy to say I’ve been off her table since before Covid. I’ve also slimmed down and have managed to find a new plateau for my weight which is a nice side benefit. That’s probably due more to changing my diet by eating more healthy foods. I don’t believe I eat any less in fact I think I may eat more but the ratio of protein, carbs and vegetables is different. Physically I’m a better athlete than I was before but that may be due to a change in training outlook. More rest means more energy to push when needed which results in better gains. I know this is all very anecdotal but from one older athlete to another there is hopefully a way for you to solve your back pain issue so that you can reach a new plateau in your training.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your vids.

Latest Discussions