10 gups, 8 jangs

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Given that most schools have classes ranging from 45 minutes to an hour, it is not hard at all to fill up a class with just the bare bones Kukkiwon material. Take up the first fifteen minutes with warming up and you have only a half an hour to forty five minutes. A lot of schools do block teaching, so one night, everyone may be learning blackbelt material, and another night yellow belt material. I find this practice distasteful, but it is fairly common from what I have seen.

Article 10 : Subjects of Promotion Test
1. Test of Techniques
(1) Poomsae (Forms)
(2) Kyorugi (Sparring)
(3) Kyokpa (Power check)
(4) Special technique

Kukkiwon doesn't seem to want to put the minimums anywhere accessible, but from what they put there, it seems to not be that much at all.

Australia's recommended requirements include:

4 Tageuks
Koryo
One steps
Two or three steps
Non-contact sparring
10 SD (surprising number!)
3 breaks
Theory

That doesn't sound like it takes too long either.

I just don't know, we seem to be able to jam a heap of information into each of our classes.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer the OP, we add Koryo & a form that my instructor created to the 1st gup students. We teach the 10th gups Keibons, & beging Tae Guek IL Jang at 9th gup.

It seems to work out well. The school where I did my gup & 1st Dan, we had 12 gup grades. While there was that downside, we had an upside. We learned Pal Gwe 6-8 as the final poomsae before dan ranks. I fell in love with those poomsae & would teach those in addition to the Tae Gueks if it were up to me.

Latest Discussions