Would Martial Arts created by women fundamentally be better than those created by men?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And as stated, if we wernt a sexually dimorphic species,

You are equating sex with gender here and you are wrong. In fact you are wrong on many levels.

D

Deleted member 39746

LOL...it's all conjecture and doesn't mean a thing of any real importance. As such is but a waste of time.

But,theroeritical martial arts is what i thrive in though! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 39746

How on Earth can someone with no MA experience create a functional MA?

Pending how pedantic and literal you want to be, the response varies. I wont be at all here.

If you use martial arts to mean system, you dont need to study under another system to make one. If you use it to mean fighting skills, then a lot of things can be put under the banner. For both, backyard brawls and just experience tied into instinct should be suffcient. (and had to be as thats where everything started from)

Basically you dont need formal training to learn how to fight, or to "teach" somone what you have learnt. Now how good it is, is anothe rmatter. But since this is entirely hypothetical and no system is being cited its pointless to argue or discuss. (as one of these hasnt been around for a while, at least as far as i know)

That is a less rambly and pedantic version of what i wrote after that orginally. :p

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You have to consider the source. @Rat thinks he's a martial arts expert, based on his getting halfway through white belt in ITF TKD, and all the articles he's read.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We arent discussing a in existance martial art? I am not citing one, nor was i refering to wing chun. I was literally going off if a female and only a female, or group of females makes one. I at no point mentioned wing chun or any actual martial art in this thread.

Let's look at female MMA vs male MMA. One is designed for males to fight at an elite level one designed for females.

I haven't noticed much difference in the systems.

One small change is for females is you have to know how to braid hair really well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL...it's all conjecture and doesn't mean a thing of any real importance. As such is but a waste of time.

It is a thought exercise. It is like asking if the world was square. You find out why it is round.

D

Deleted member 39746

Let's look at female MMA vs male MMA. One is designed for males to fight at an elite level one designed for females.

I haven't noticed much difference in the systems.

One small change is for females is you have to know how to braid hair really well.

Optimisation should be diffrent, what a female can do easier should be vary to what a male can do easier just down to merits of the physical diffrences.

As stated, not discussing amount, was just relying they are diffrent and the emrits of that lead to each finding certain things easier than the other. I am fully in the block it only effects a few things. But it still effects them and should be acknowledged.

Edit: Now, if we look at the social side of female fighting like i ranted about earlier, its hair clinching for untrained ones. (and even trained ones)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is a very hypothetical topic though. I don't think we will wind up with a functional art at the end of this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Optimisation should be diffrent, what a female can do easier should be vary to what a male can do easier just down to merits of the physical diffrences.

As stated, not discussing amount, was just relying they are diffrent and the emrits of that lead to each finding certain things easier than the other. I am fully in the block it only effects a few things. But it still effects them and should be acknowledged.

Edit: Now, if we look at the social side of female fighting like i ranted about earlier, its hair clinching for untrained ones. (and even trained ones)

I am of the school of thought that fighting basically optimizes in one general direction. So optimal for women or optimal for prison, self defence, westerners, Asians whatever is mostly marketing.

There might be subtle changes but if you did a style that generically optimises fighting you would probably beat a style that specializes.

D

Deleted member 39746

It is a very hypothetical topic though. I don't think we will wind up with a functional art at the end of this.

The many stages of the martial art we are creating right now.

Memes aside:
There might be subtle changes but if you did a style that generically optimises fighting you would probably beat a style that specializes.

Im more getting out if you want the best possible result, it needs to be tailored to you and you alone. But as the topic was about females, and females are diffrent to males then there is a diffrent average to account for there. It might be the equal of only a second or under a second diffrence for the most part though.

edit: Without hosting a study on said matter, i am somewhat at a loss.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As do many men.

Care to explain what that paragraph actually says?

Social side? Are you trying to be dense or does it comes naturally?

But as the topic was about females,

It be specific it wasn't actually 'about females', it was asking if a martial art created by a woman would be better than that created by a man, it didn't ask if it would be better for women, just if it would be better.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But,theroeritical martial arts is what i thrive in though! :p
This statement reminds me of the highschooler that just finished his physics class, and visits a site like physicsworld a bunch, arguing with experiential physicists about time travel and passing the speed of light.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The only martial art I know of that originated from a woman is Wing Chun, according to a documentary by the History Channel I watched a while ago.
But I have been thinking during my hiatus from posting here. Would martial arts founded by women be more efficient for their intended purpose due to women not being able to rely on physical strength as much as men can?
By this, I mean that, biologically, men have sturdier frames and bigger physical prowess.
Therefore, in order to be able to overcome this in a fight, logically (as shown by almost every martial style out there) technique steps in. But when you dissect the theory behind Wing Chun, the technique and knowledge and science present within it far outweighs that of any other styles that I am aware of. What are your thoughts on this?
Can you think of any martial arts that are more technical than Wing Chun?

Of course, I know many people call Wing Chun into question as it might not be applicable - but is this an inherent problem in the wushu style itself, or the in way in which it is taught?
I cannot comment specifically on Wing Chun, because it is not my thing, so I will leave that to others who have some knowledge of Wing Chun.

But I take issue with the premise of the highlighted portion of your question. While it is true that as a rule, men possess greater upper body strength than women, that has no bearing on an individual. And take this to actual martial arts. Many martial arts ideally favor a body type that is a mix of speed, quickness, agility and strength, and not just brute strength. To put a finer point on this, while I don't know exactly how big Ip Man was, from photos taken with Bruce Lee, he looks at least a few inches shorter and a bit smaller than Lee, and Bruce Lee was maybe 5'8" and 140 lbs. So looking at the real world, it is not just possible, but probably that most women are capable of packing on at least as much muscle as Ip Man or Bruce Lee, assuming they had the same dedication and training as those MA legends.

Similarly, Funakoshi, the Karate legend who pioneered the development of Shotokan Karate was only 5' tall. By some accounts, he was powerfully built, but how much muscle can you put on a 5' frame? Same for General Choi Hong Hi. By all acounts a small and sickly child, in pictures he never was a large or imposing figure. I don't know how big he was, bbut he certainly wasn't built like an NFL Linebacker. He was more likely smaller than most women.

D

Deleted member 39746

This statement reminds me of the highschooler that just finished his physics class, and visits a site like physicsworld a bunch, arguing with experiential physicists about time travel and passing the speed of light.

To keep it breif. Havent reletively experiened people come up with wrong conclusions and been corrected by more junior memebers? It happens and people are fallible. Not to get too into it, as not the thread and it would be a argument off the back of a joke.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cannot comment specifically on Wing Chun, because it is not my thing, so I will leave that to others who have some knowledge of Wing Chun.

But I take issue with the premise of the highlighted portion of your question. While it is true that as a rule, men possess greater upper body strength than women, that has no bearing on an individual. And take this to actual martial arts. Many martial arts ideally favor a body type that is a mix of speed, quickness, agility and strength, and not just brute strength. To put a finer point on this, while I don't know exactly how big Ip Man was, from photos taken with Bruce Lee, he looks at least a few inches shorter and a bit smaller than Lee, and Bruce Lee was maybe 5'8" and 140 lbs. So looking at the real world, it is not just possible, but probably that most women are capable of packing on at least as much muscle as Ip Man or Bruce Lee, assuming they had the same dedication and training as those MA legends.

Similarly, Funakoshi, the Karate legend who pioneered the development of Shotokan Karate was only 5' tall. By some accounts, he was powerfully built, but how much muscle can you put on a 5' frame? Same for General Choi Hong Hi. By all acounts a small and sickly child, in pictures he never was a large or imposing figure. I don't know how big he was, bbut he certainly wasn't built like an NFL Linebacker. He was more likely smaller than most women.

There are very few martial arts dedicated to defending against smaller weaker oponants.

Latest Discussions