Would Martial Arts created by women fundamentally be better than those created by men?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
But,theroeritical martial arts is what i thrive in though! :p
And therefore, to me, is a waste of time.

I am of the school of thought that fighting basically optimizes in one general direction.

There might be subtle changes but if you did a style that generically optimises fighting you would probably beat a style that specializes.
I agree. I do enjoy studying various systems. I tend to spend much more of my time studying the commonalities vs the differences. I often say "the cream always rises to the top and usually it is the things that are common that work (the cream) and not the differences so much. The things that work in most all systems is the cream."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To keep it breif. Havent reletively experiened people come up with wrong conclusions and been corrected by more junior memebers? It happens and people are fallible. Not to get too into it, as not the thread and it would be a argument off the back of a joke.
Physicists make mistakes and get things wrong all the time. But the ones who realize this and point them in the right direction aren't that 'deep' high school student, it's other people with serious training in physics and understand it to a higher level than self-learning and HS courses can get you.

D

Deleted member 39746

Physicists make mistakes and get things wrong all the time. But the ones who realize this and point them in the right direction aren't that 'deep' high school student, it's other people with serious training in physics and understand it to a higher level than self-learning and HS courses can get you.

See my issue lays here, people loose sight of things and can loose common sense, and in places with quite a stringent caste structor mroe junior staff can basically be silenced despite coming upw ith good ideas and solutions and seeing problems. It jsut fundementally boils down to if its right or not. Or if its a concern/issue or not.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
See my issue lays here, people loose sight of things and can loose common sense, and in places with quite a stringent caste structor mroe junior staff can basically be silenced despite coming upw ith good ideas and solutions and seeing problems. It jsut fundementally boils down to if its right or not. Or if its a concern/issue or not.
Which is true, but again to continue with the analogy, it depends on how much training the junior has. So if I'm a highly respected/senior physicist working on the matrix theory, and someone a bit lower at my company realizes I'm making a fundamental mistake and can articulate that mistake, great. I should listen to him, and help figure out if I'm making a mistake, or if he's misunderstanding something, or if I need to change my thinking. If I don't do that, it's a problem.

Now if the high school physics student comes along, knowing very little about matrix theory but thinking he does because he watched a youtube video on it, and telling me how I'm wrong because a video said X, without really understanding why the video said X, why I'm saying Y, or even what X or Y are, I'm not going to listen to him. Because there's so much he doesn't know that it's not worth mine or his time to go into it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt quite honestly if you could create a martial arts style when it's obvious you can't use spell check or use grammar enough to make your posts intelligible. Oh and the fact you don't martial arts, you can't even talk a good fight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. It does boil down to whether something is right or not. But getting to what is right takes some depth of understanding in most fields. Hence, the high-schooler doesn't usually have enough understanding (unless he's an absolute prodigy) to even converse on a level with the theoretical physicists, much less help them spot errors. Typically, what that high-schooler sees as "errors" are actually places where they misunderstand the theory.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What i wrote and the points made are above, that is my argument. Your "Statment of fact" has no relivence here. To which i have this as a reply:

Are you telling me the Human Male and Female body is identical? And are you also telling me every human is indentical in both build and ability?

If you are not, then there is your answer for how i can comment on mechanics as the mechanics will inhernetly be diffrent to everyone down to dimporphisim in our species.

Secondly, you do not need "to do any martial arts" to create one. At least in the way it is used here. Given all systems etc stemmed from nothingness and just human instinct and are codifications of information that said person(s) has(/have) found while doing/observing violence. To which there are many avenues for it and if we are to be really technical any activity you do with the intention of aiding or helping you fight, is martial or "training" for it. Even if you dont practice strikes etc.

Anyway, before i go on a 4 paragraph tangent, the second point isnt fully relivent to the thread, the full history and how to make fighting sytems seems irrelivent to if it would be better if a female made it than a male. Or the secondary topic of wing chun history. If you wish to argue about the history of human violence and systems for fighting and the details for how to make them and pros and cons, i will gladly do it in a thread designated for such a topic.
Rat, you are one of the people on this forum who I cannot even see how old you are. Why would I believe anything that person says?
@jobo said it very well when he said there are more similarities than differences. There is more than enough in most styles for a person (male or female) to figure out what works better/best for them. This is true in a male/male, female/female, or male/female comparison of the same skill/drill/technique.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're right. It does boil down to whether something is right or not. But getting to what is right takes some depth of understanding in most fields. Hence, the high-schooler doesn't usually have enough understanding (unless he's an absolute prodigy) to even converse on a level with the theoretical physicists, much less help them spot errors. Typically, what that high-schooler sees as "errors" are actually places where they misunderstand the theory.

And then sometimes a three year old watching from the sidelines can identify the problem that the expert couldn't.

D

Deleted member 39746

Rat, you are one of the people on this forum who I cannot even see how old you are. Why would I believe anything that person says?

Am i obliged to share such information though? You do not have to belive anything i write here, nor do i have to belive anything you write here.

Nor does anyone HAVE to for anyone else. Feel free to DM me, as i feel this might be deraily.

And then sometimes a three year old watching from the sidelines can identify the problem that the expert couldn't.

there is some saying for soemthing like that. I ahve completely forgotten it but i swear there is a saying for this.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Am i obliged to share such information though? You do not have to belive anything i write here, nor do i have to belive anything you write here.

Nor does anyone HAVE to for anyone else. Feel free to DM me, as i feel this might be deraily.

there is some saying for soemthing like that. I ahve completely forgotten it but i swear there is a saying for this.

Fair enough. Not trying to stir the pot. It's just that it is very hard to understand where you are trying to go with some of you posts.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only martial art I know of that originated from a woman is Wing Chun, according to a documentary by the History Channel I watched a while ago.
But I have been thinking during my hiatus from posting here. Would martial arts founded by women be more efficient for their intended purpose due to women not being able to rely on physical strength as much as men can?
By this, I mean that, biologically, men have sturdier frames and bigger physical prowess. Therefore, in order to be able to overcome this in a fight, logically (as shown by almost every martial style out there) technique steps in. But when you dissect the theory behind Wing Chun, the technique and knowledge and science present within it far outweighs that of any other styles that I am aware of. What are your thoughts on this?
Can you think of any martial arts that are more technical than Wing Chun?

Of course, I know many people call Wing Chun into question as it might not be applicable - but is this an inherent problem in the wushu style itself, or the in way in which it is taught?
If the premise is that women are generally physically weaker than men, therefore to be successful against men they would need to be more technical than someone that could rely more on strength, than I agree.

But there is also massive strength and size differential between men, that present the same challenges.

How technically sound would Demetrius Johnson need to be to beat Stipe Miocic?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the premise is that women are generally physically weaker than men, therefore to be successful against men they would need to be more technical than someone that could rely more on strength, than I agree.

But there is also massive strength and size differential between men, that present the same challenges.

How technically sound would Demetrius Johnson need to be to beat Stipe Miocic?
You are talking about exceptionally gifted people in their craft. I was speaking in the normal, average genre.
Flo-Jo broke the woman's speed record in 1988. I think this record still holds. She was 5'-6.5" and 126lbs.
Usain Bolt broke the men's speed record multiple times from around 2009 to 2016. He is 6'-5" and 205lbs.

It is evident that people (both male and female)are growing bigger/taller. I expect both records to be broken in the very near future.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are talking about exceptionally gifted people in their craft. I was speaking in the normal, average genre.
Flo-Jo broke the woman's speed record in 1988. I think this record still holds. She was 5'-6.5" and 126lbs.
Usain Bolt broke the men's speed record multiple times from around 2009 to 2016. He is 6'-5" and 205lbs.

It is evident that people (both male and female)are growing bigger/taller. I expect both records to be broken in the very near future.
records keep getting broken for a number of reasons, phycological, they just have to top the last one by a thousanth of a second, better understanding of human bioligy, faster tracks, venue like to have records set so design tracks that are faster, better shoes, the lastest nikes are breaking records all over the shop to the point that athelets sponsered not by nike have little chance of a medal, let alone a record and not least the pharma wars that keep atheletes three steps ahead of the testers

non of those seem to have anything to do with people getting taller, in fact mr bolt is completly the wrong build for a spinter and runs all wrong, its something of a mystery quite why he was so good, see possible reasons above

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are some self defense notions that suggest you will be fighting some incompetent.
on the ballance of proberbilities thats quite likely, either drunk and or incompetant is a factor in most of the fights ive witnessed

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
on the ballance of proberbilities thats quite likely, either drunk and or incompetant is a factor in most of the fights ive witnessed

Especially with me as I am more likely to be the instigator of said fight and So can pick a weaker less coordinated oponant.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Emperors new clothes.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

No, I think this holds up through any demographic.

Take your average desk job guy with a work desk to couch sedintary lifestyle and contrast him with the guy that twists rebar or moves drywall around for a living and the strength differential would be equally as significant.

Latest Discussions