Why Silat?

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our reasonings grasp at straws for premisis.painting speech that we by tracing magic lines are taught how to embody and to colour thought.All the worlds a sage.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
How beautiful. Do you or do you not know this use of string for drilling the stance infinite? This helped my Lankas, Jurus and Sambuts structure to become much more effective. Anyone else?

One and the same breeze blows thru the pines on the mountain and the oaks in the valley and yet they give different notes.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"end ever end,and forever begin again" sounds like you need to join a school. like your seeking understanding that you lack.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In silat everything is a weapon there is too much going on to categorically break down combative combinations. the knee shin and heel might being doing five things while the hands are striking

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello Jimi. The founding instructor with the physical disability was that of the Serak system I believe. Pak Uyuh had no significant impairments that I am aware of aside from his knees did not like harimau work as much in his later years. You're right Steve Braun has back ground in Mande Muda. He would be a good source of training up that way.
Warm regards
Doc

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just as an observation from one who has been following this thread for a while and seen it drift off on tangents as opposed to its original intent. I think that what Infinite Beginner does not have a handle on is how , American martial artists percieve the "sing song ", vague , esoteric, indirect language used in his posts. ( I can't speak for other cultures).That is why he sometimes gets the reactions that he does. Here in the USA ,back in the 70s when the TV show "Kung Fu" was popular, the star portrayed by David Carradine spoke in vague, esoteric mystical language seasoned with broken /pidgeon English. Before you knew it,you had martial arts instructors who seemed to adopt that style of speech when talking to students and others about their art....talking in Zen Koans, Asian parables,pidgeon English ,etc, ....often mediocre teachers trying to come off as having some sort of deep, far reaching ,mystic insight to these "exotic" fighting arts , that ,at that time, were fairly unfamiliar to the American public. It has become more of a joke....something that is repeatedly PARODIED in comedy routines and even members of our more wise-cracking martial artists. So here in the USA , serious martial artists who have "been around the block " tend to find such language corny , unnecessary or tedious if used ad. nauseum..."constantly and to the extreme". Certainly the points made can still be insightful and valid , but often time direct ,concrete statements are more respected and appreciated. One who talks like this in America is often suspected of trying to "put on over on others" by trying to sounds as if they have secret , deep, superior insights into an art. The novice may hang on every syllable of the sing song poetry but if used too much , many other folks will just think "Give it a rest, get to the point and stop beating around the bush " and quickly tire of what that person has to say. This is just my assessment of why people react to Infinite Beginner as they do. I've seen a mixed response ,but those who have a lot of training years under their belts are the ones who seem to react the most negatively. Subjects touched on are quite nice as ,myself being a pesilat, I know what he refers to. However, the "language" the subjects are wrapped in often caused the point to be lost because this method of communication is being overused as it was overused by the old "Kung Fu" fan/ martial arts instructor of the 1970s. We all can get a bit philosophic on our arts but we try not to "over do it". Again as this thread started out as "Why did you choose silat?" , people are interested in specifics relative to that. Those people are also wanting to know what is studied, with whom , where , how long ,etc. and what attracted you to the art as opposed to philosophic musings on ever minute detail of the art.
Just my observations on the direction and flavor the thread has had at times . Since so many react to Infinite Beginner as they do I thought I'd explain why I percieve that to be happening. I still think interactions would be less inflammatory at times if Infinite Beginner really introduced himself by way of style, back ground , location, and some specifics rather than only throwing out esoteric, philosophical statements continuously. It would help to have folks understand and connect with you more as a fellow martial artist and silat enthusiast.

With Respect,
Doc

Last edited:

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Infinite Beginner, I myself am quite curious as to your background since you have, indeed, been a source of numerous posts here. I was curious what style or styles you may have studied ....although I maintain all good silat styles share the same basic , sound principles and tactics that make silat what it is. How many years have you put into the pursuit of silat? Where did you train ( in what culture or country) ? I assume where you studied , there were also other styles of martial arts that you might have chosen to study. Why did you choose silat over them? Was there a particular teacher or practitioner that impressed you so as to entice you to study silat versus the other arts?

With Respect,

Doc D

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
silat is aero-yogic kickboxing performed by magicians.any is as good as any other if you look deep enough.an art of few motions that re train and refine tune reflexes until silat practices itself thru you all the time.why it makes you nearly impervious to slips trips and spills that take out ordinary folk on a regular basis.when was the last time you heard of a silat guy slipping in the bath tub wont happen if they are practicing their structure
or better yet the structure is practicing it self.its like the structure is wet cement when you start and after ten or so years it is concrete.

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is overly amusing.

We will never find out his true identity.

Personally, I rather enjoy it. I feel these proverbs bring about things to always keep fresh in the mind. I actually wish I had or eventually have an instructor who embraces that more naturalistic way of the art. One who focuses on the structure of your opponent and yourself rather than this is how you perform this task. I think it makes it all flow easier and will ultimately make you a more efficient martial artist/self defense practitioner. Otherwise, you have cut and dry moves acting like a machine, acting on a mechanical function. The better the understanding, the better execution of the move, even under a indeterminable environment.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I thought they meant, why is there silat? if some one you know walks up to you and says why do you do silat ?you say, I can show you,just throw a punch. that would better resolve their question than miles of cyber type
ever could.perhaps a post could possibly be created that was more specific.why I wasted half my life doing all those other crappy martial arts.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why do people go or turn to martial arts to begin with.what most psychologically motivates people to do martial arts??self defense
seems to be a popular response.defense against what a fear of being jabbed ,grabbed or accosted in a particular way so you can produce some practiced heroic counter.thats what draws alot in but why they stay seems more complicated.maybe for the challenge and thrill of fighting with out the streets ambush and random fatality. street fighting filtered into a controlled environment of learning.laughing thru bloody noses twisted ligiments.two things people tend to approach seriously religion and fighting.martial arts is not quite either

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you infinite beginner, I feel I can obsorb this much easier. I absolutely agree. Growing up near DC, I got into martial arts more out of neccessity than trying to be heroic. lol. but out of many arts i have trained in SILAT is quite powerfull. The finishes in Silat are very brutal and effective making it very very compitent for street self defense. Regardless of how we post, I believe we both admire Silat for some of the same reasons. Infinite, Peace man.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
as in rock and jazz comes from and goes back to the blues silat comes from and goes back to the street.that could sum up my perspective.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Infinite Beginner, Your comment about angle is to force what water is to fire is right on. I can dig that. I am an Architectural & Mechanical Engineering Draftsman (AutoCad Monkey), LOL, so that is very deep to me. I like that. I hope we can better get along. I must learn to look beyond the way someone posts. LOL.

Silat can crash as well as give way. It can be hard and soft. Many things about Silat impress me. I was not just trying to be contrary to your post Infinite, I just think I may be coming around (LOL) as long as we respect Silat how we post is insignificant. PEACE

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
here's more droning droll monologue going on and on and on and on and on and on more barrages of ambiguous assertions .more detatched references unhindered by definition.in silat the word is when.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
The mere posting of anything I submit seems to pain you man. Or am I reading you wrong? Silat rules, oh wait, Silat is a street art, there are no rules. lol. peace

Latest Discussions