Why does MMA count as an own martial art now ?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by JohnnyEnglish, Aug 2, 2015.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

It really isn't interesting at all.

Let's watch Jules the jackle really hurt himself.

2. drop bear

If you get to qld look up Kudo if you want to get your karate with takedowns headbutts and groin kicks.

Every single one of them is a kill monster. You will love it.

3. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master of Arts

Ouch... Yep... Last night, minutes before bed.. On facebook I saw a some Russian K1 llushin low kick to the thigh/knee get checked bone on bone... The kicker's leg turned into floppy rubber and he tried to stand after the kick, but it folded... Had nightmares.

Here is the link..
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=968866219817853&id=143826492321834&refid=12&__tn__=H

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master of Arts

Kudo... Is that Karate + Judo?

5. drop bear

Kind of.

6. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Now, to be fair to TSDTexan, Elder, his theory/belief on Daito Ryu and it's relationship to BJJ isn't quite what you're suggesting there… although what you're suggesting is eminently more plausible…

His actual assertion is that Daito Ryu was one of the foundations of Takenouchi Ryu (which, of course, it wasn't)… and that Kano studied Takenouchi Ryu (which he didn't)… and that Kodokan Judo then gave rise to Kosen Judo, which Maeda brought to Brazil (leaving off the annoying fact that Kosen Judo, as a rule-set, rather than a subset of skills, wasn't formulated until nearly a decade after Maeda left Japan)… therefore, what Maeda taught is based in Daito Ryu, because… apparently it's all in Takenouchi Ryu… which has no bearing on Judo at all…

Er… did we follow all of that…?

Sure. But, of course, where you did get your information was still wrong…

Really? I didn't think it was that vague… "(the information) is wrong. As are you". Pretty clear to me…

Nope, just completely incorrect in your assessment of historical facts and reality…

Man, it wasn't a personal attack… it was an observation of you not being right… pretty simple.

Ha, kay… not sure why you're continuing to go over the aspect you say you didn't believe in the first place…

No, you didn't… of course, the idea that "the art form that came to be known as DRAJJ had a role in the formation of what would come to be called BJJ" was still wrong… ha!

Honestly, this is fair, and I agree.

Sure… on that topic, can you answer my questions about your understanding and experience with Takenouchi Ryu and Daito Ryu? The ones detailing the ne-waza in Daito Ryu? And what you meant by a "pure art" in regards to Daito Ryu? I mean… without you engaging in answers, we don't have much of a basis for conversation here…

Sure.

Eh, the topic was dead on arrival, Steve… it was basically "How can we call MMA a martial art, cause I don't like it!" from the OP… not sure there's any real ground left to cover on it…

In a vacuum? No. By himself? Well… in a very real way, yes. Did he ever bring outsiders in? Yep. Does that mean that they had any real part in "creating" Judo? No, not really. In a real sense, Kano WAS Judo. It was simply what he felt should be there.

Er… not quite sure you get how things went there… cause… well… no.

I mean… you do get that it's not about "inventing techniques", yeah?

Kinda. There is a reference using the term "柔道" in the Jikishinkage Ryu some 150 years prior to Kano… however, it's really not related to Judo (Kodokan/Kano-ha) at all. You know that there's the term "剣道" in Musashi's writings that have nothing at all to do with "Kendo", yeah? What I'm getting at is that usage of similar terminology doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to indicating a relationship between them…

Yeah, again… good luck with that…

No, he made a logical assumption about what you most likely were referring to (by looking at the most plausible and logical way your assertion could have taken place)…

Actually, the position you held (and, seemingly, continue to hold) is wrong… Elder didn't correctly assess where your position came from… honestly, understandably… but that's it.

Er… huh?

Sure. Oh, by the way, feel free to start a thread on the topic if you want… bringing it up in other threads is just going to have us retread the same ground again…

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. drop bear

Here is Jules the jackal getting bashed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master of Arts

This is kudo

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    It's also good old fashioned karate, there's still a fair few who do it that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Yeah

It's even worse than I thought. :rolleyes:

11. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

At this point, its better just to go to a MMA school. Why waste time looking for a needle in a haystack when there's a legit MMA school on just about every corner in the industrialized world?

Maybe 20 years ago, doing Kudo would be a solid option, but MMA simply does that sort of thing better.

12. drop bear

Depends. The guys in qld are legit. So if you are desperate to train with a GI on and throw head kicks then it is a viable option.

It is more of a case of what floats your boat there rather than one being fundamentally better.

BLACK DRAGON KAI | Home

13. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master of Arts

Hehe. I don't think fashion has a great bearing on combative sport. Or even free sparing/ fight simulation. I do think the introduction of the GI (dobok) is a good thing. I think it is preferable to fight in a GI as opposed a kimono.

I do like traditional attire.

14. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

What has fashion got to do with anything, drop bear didn't say anything about it. In BJJ a kimono is a gi.

15. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member

I can't seem to find it at the moment, but didn't TSDTexan have a post at some point where he linked to his source for his ... unusual ideas about the history of DRJJ?

If TSDTexan is doing what he says he is - doing research to find evidence for Chris's explanation of the relevant history vs his own previous ideas before deciding which is correct - then I have to say he's doing the right thing. He started out by accepting the word of someone who claimed to be knowledgeable about the history of classical Japanese martial arts. Now he's encountered someone else (Chris) who claims to be knowledgeable about the same field telling him his previous information is all wrong. As it so happens, Chris is correct, but without a better grounding in the field TSDTexan has no way of knowing that. If he just takes Chris's word for it based on Chris's claims of expertise then he's in the same boat he was before - taking the word of a self-proclaimed "expert" with no sources to back it up.

If TSDTexan does his research well, he will discover that Chris is correct. That will a) give him more background to judge such claims in the future and b) give him more reason to trust Chris's word on other matters.

It doesn't make things easy that the world of martial arts is filled with historical misinformation. It doesn't just come from unqualified charlatans either. Lots of well-respected, very high-ranked instructors have \been responsible for spreading unsubstantiated myths and wishful thinking, heavily distorted spin, and downright lies as the "official" history of their arts. It's hard to blame someone who falls into the trap of buying into some of these stories.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. drop bear

I have a spiderman licra suit for sparring. Fashion is vital.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

• Like Like x 2
  18. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master of Arts

Scary visuals tho... Especially when you rip the crotch doing high roundhouse kicks.

19. Ariyan Parraya

Ariyan Parraya White Belt

isn't different with free brawling (^^)> ithink...

20. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Yellow Belt

Nice I got a Green and White Ranger one. Thinking about getting another Green Ranger rashie but with The Dragon Shield and short sleeved.123