Muay Thai in MMA

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen KOs from that position in MMA fighters, an upward kick catching the opponent as he's about to jump ( well not exactly jump but I can't say go down on him can I? :D) on to his downed opponent.
Renzo Gracie's KO of Oleg Taktarov being a classic example of this.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen KOs from that position in MMA fighters, an upward kick catching the opponent as he's about to jump ( well not exactly jump but I can't say go down on him can I? :D) on to his downed opponent.
Yeah up kicks can be murder. Even the kids can give a good up kick to the jewels.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah up kicks can be murder. Even the kids can give a good up kick to the jewels.

Watched four of those fights live at venues. Cagewarriors is still going, Cage Rage sadly not, I do miss them.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The ancient South Asian form of wrestling is called malla-yuddha.[2] Practiced at least since the 5th millenniun BC,[3][4]described in the 13th century treatise Malla Purana, it was the precursor of modern kushti

I never disagreed with you that there's grappling in Kung-Fu. I'm just telling you that such Kung-Fu's grappling is way, way below, the levels of BJJ. MMA is the world's highest level of martial arts competition with the most amount of money, fame and glory being available to the fighters, their camp, their styles and their country's pride. When was the last time that an aspiring UFC fighter said, "Ima go learn me some Shuai Jiao for my groundwork"?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine it will come as a bit of a shock for some to find that MMA and the UFC are virtually non existent and unknown in most countries in the world who..gasp..don't actually care about it. That in many countries it's a peripheral sport as it is in the UK and most of Europe. Even in Brazil it's not the national sport, nothing will take the place of football.
Boxing is the highest level, highest paid and even with it's flaws remains the most popular martial art however much hyperbole is employed to make MMA seem more than it is.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I imagine it will come as a bit of a shock for some to find that MMA and the UFC are virtually non existent and unknown in most countries in the world who..gasp..don't actually care about it. That in many countries it's a peripheral sport as it is in the UK and most of Europe. Even in Brazil it's not the national sport, nothing will take the place of football.
Boxing is the highest level, highest paid and even with it's flaws remains the most popular martial art however much hyperbole is employed to make MMA seem more than it is.

most recognised womens sport?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most recognised womens sport?

Sadly WMMA is very far behind men's, I really hope, and I do see encouraging signs ,that the women's game will catch up ( even surpass lol) the men's. Unfortunately we have countries that will not allow women to compete in most sports let along a martial one, in those same countries women aren't allow to even spectate.
On the whole I think athletics still tends to be the most recognised sport for women, it tends to have what sponsors and advertisers want as well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sadly WMMA is very far behind men's, I really hope, and I do see encouraging signs ,that the women's game will catch up ( even surpass lol) the men's. Unfortunately we have countries that will not allow women to compete in most sports let along a martial one, in those same countries women aren't allow to even spectate.
On the whole I think athletics still tends to be the most recognised sport for women, it tends to have what sponsors and advertisers want as well.
do you think India will have a future impact since it is compulsory for girls to take martial arts?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you think India will have a future impact since it is compulsory for girls to take martial arts?

It isn't compulsory as such in India, some private schools, universities and one state have made it so but not the country as a whole though there are petitions to the government to make it compulsory which will perhaps make it compulsory but when you have places where the village elders pass sentences like gang rape on girls whose relative have 'transgressed' against village rules there has to be far more than just making martial compulsory in schools, one also has to get all girls to actually go to school as well for it to have any effect.
However it will be regarded as purely self defence and won't carry forward into competing. India however has already made it's name with female boxers, mostly due to one lady Mary Kom who now runs classes and aims to have more like her.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It isn't compulsory as such in India, some private schools, universities and one state have made it so but not the country as a whole though there are petitions to the government to make it compulsory which will perhaps make it compulsory but when you have places where the village elders pass sentences like gang rape on girls whose relative have 'transgressed' against village rules there has to be far more than just making martial compulsory in schools, one also has to get all girls to actually go to school as well for it to have any effect.
However it will be regarded as purely self defence and won't carry forward into competing. India however has already made it's name with female boxers, mostly due to one lady Mary Kom who now runs classes and aims to have more like her.
I hope she will have a lot of success with her classes

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope she will have a lot of success with her classes

I watched a documentary on her before the London Olympics, she's one tough lady and hopefully will have students following her into the Olympics and beyond.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think it was afganistan or somewhere really conservative where girls were competing in karate. They had to stop when they got married. But its a start.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was afganistan or somewhere really conservative where girls were competing in karate. They had to stop when they got married. But its a start.

In Afghanistan girls need protection from acid attacks, schoolgirls especially. It's absolutely horrendous.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It will come as a surprise to some that MMA is a peripheral sport in the USA, as well. LOL.
  1. American Football
  2. Major League Baseball
  3. Men’s college football
  4. Auto racing
  5. Men’s pro basketball
Still very lucrative for some, but generally not for the athletes. More of a calling than a means of gainful employment. It's easy for folks overseas to think the UFC represents all of American MMA, but that's not quite accurate.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

(gasp)

"MMA is the world's highest level of martial arts competition".

I thought that was pretty clear, (gasp).

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It will come as a surprise to some that MMA is a peripheral sport in the USA, as well. LOL.
  1. American Football
  2. Major League Baseball
  3. Men’s college football
  4. Auto racing
  5. Men’s pro basketball
Still very lucrative for some, but generally not for the athletes. More of a calling than a means of gainful employment. It's easy for folks overseas to think the UFC represents all of American MMA, but that's not quite accurate.

The UFC, currently represents the highest level of American MMA as well as worldwide.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(gasp)

I thought that was pretty clear, (gasp).

Really, and boxing where does that come? It's practised in just about every country, has actual world titles, is in the Olympics, has World, European Pan-American, Asian, Australasian championships as well as a world ranking system for amateurs and professionals. It has a worldwide amateur boxing authority. It's far bigger than MMA is and is the top level of martial arts competition.
I take it you don't think of boxing as martial arts because like a lot of recent MMA fanboys, MMA is ..gasp.. the thing they're crazy over this year.
In other countries such as The Netherlands kickboxing ranks far higher than MMA. That MMA is the 'world's highest level of martial arts competition' is your opinion, that's fine you are entitled to your opinion, what you aren't entitled to is your own facts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UFC, currently represents the highest level of American MMA

It's a big company dedicated to making it's money through MMA competitions, it has the most entertaining fighters, the ones who will sell the most tickets. Are they the best MMA fighters, well, that is open to debate. Ask those who don't like Conor McGregor for a start.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really, and boxing where does that come? It's practised in just about every country, has actual world titles, is in the Olympics, has World, European Pan-American, Asian, Australasian championships as well as a world ranking system for amateurs and professionals. It has a worldwide amateur boxing authority. It's far bigger than MMA is and is the top level of martial arts competition.
I take it you don't think of boxing as martial arts because like a lot of recent MMA fanboys, MMA is ..gasp.. the thing they're crazy over this year.
In other countries such as The Netherlands kickboxing ranks far higher than MMA. That MMA is the 'world's highest level of martial arts competition' is your opinion, that's fine you are entitled to your opinion, what you aren't entitled to is your own facts.

Well at least now you know that football is not a martial arts. And what Boxing organization (gasp) considers themselves a martial art organization?

Latest Discussions