Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its kinda fun when threads meander and go everywhere off topic though =]

sometimes its just fun when people have the attention span of a nat. :p

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A 12 year old boy in Texas, how very droll.

Well you can always PM me and I'll give you my work number, you can phone me up at great expense to confirm I am who I say I am, or you can 'befriend' me on FB rofl.

naa I believe you are who you say you are. Just saying in the internet world we can be anything we want. On a police forum I go to I bet 25 % of the "cops" turn out to not be.
oh and I'm a man I don't facebook but I'd call you I think you guys have awsome accents.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol it took lots of pages for this thread to go off topic, on the detroit red wings board i post on it can happen on the very first page....you guys have great attention spans by comparison :p

red wings booooo
GO CAPS

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stanford wins!

Luck rules!

andrew-luck-pic.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why someone would come onto a martial arts site and purely post on the Study which has nothing to do with martial arts? For most of us, the Study is a side 'attraction', a place to discuss political and other subjects with fellow martial artists, people we already have a lot in common with and being martial artists we can expect our fellow martial artists to discuss things with us with the same respect and control they use when sparring. I don't see it as a place for non martial artists to come on purely to espouse their political views, I would expect at least an interest in martial arts and some posts on the martial arts part of the board.

I've never seen Martial Talk as just another internet site, there are people here who's views I respect, people with solid martial arts experience and people I just plain like.

Now I'm as guilty as any for leading this thread astray but really it should probably die off now.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the study regulars have little to nothing to say about martial arts. The study is a great venting place, and generates posts, but as Tez3 is saying, don't make it the end all. In a sparring match the study would be only one technique being used over and over again. Show the rest of your techniques, move around a bit, get involved else where.
icon7.gif

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder why someone would come onto a martial arts site and purely post on the Study which has nothing to do with martial arts? For most of us, the Study is a side 'attraction', a place to discuss political and other subjects with fellow martial artists, people we already have a lot in common with and being martial artists we can expect our fellow martial artists to discuss things with us with the same respect and control they use when sparring. I don't see it as a place for non martial artists to come on purely to espouse their political views, I would expect at least an interest in martial arts and some posts on the martial arts part of the board.

I've never seen Martial Talk as just another internet site, there are people here who's views I respect, people with solid martial arts experience and people I just plain like.

Now I'm as guilty as any for leading this thread astray but really it should probably die off now.
that's an interesting post. I've only been here a few days and most of my posts are in the study. I'm very new to martial arts study. In fact last night was my first class. I came here will tons of questions about martial arts like every new person does. However most of my questions have been asked 50 times before so when I used the search function I found a ton of great stuff. Being so new there nothing useful I can add to the martial arts section of this site. There is a ton to learn and read as you said there is alot of very smart people in this board to learn from. Then I found the study section and, I like the debate you guys have. I don't agree with alot of you but you all at least can put up a good argument (its wrong but good). So for me I read alot in the other sections but have nothing I could post. Where as here I've had better debates then on any other website I've been on. Nobody has called obama the n word nobody has wished death to bush, or muslims. I was on one forum and the topic was the body scanners at airports and the guy was against them. I asked what security he thought was good his answer was make everyone eat a chunk of ham because muslims don't eat pork so if they don't eat the ham they don't fly. Sadly he was not joking that's what he really believed.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder why someone would come onto a martial arts site and purely post on the Study which has nothing to do with martial arts?

I make very few martial arts posts anymore. I've found that we pretty much agree on the basics, I don't have any questions, and that the experience of martial arts is much more edifying than talking about it. Absent that, the Study has new and interesting things to talk about on a daily basis.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I make very few martial arts posts anymore. I've found that we pretty much agree on the basics, I don't have any questions, and that the experience of martial arts is much more edifying than talking about it. Absent that, the Study has new and interesting things to talk about on a daily basis.
Given half the chance, I can disagree about your basics.:whip1:
Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But you are a martial artist not someone who isn't just posting politically on here. I daresay it doesn't matter but what attracted me here is the fact it was martial artists posting on subjects, all subjects.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... I asked what security he thought was good his answer was make everyone eat a chunk of ham because muslims don't eat pork so if they don't eat the ham they don't fly. Sadly he was not joking that's what he really believed.

Great argument. I guess I won't be flying either then...

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i guess i dont count in what tez said. Most of my posts are study ones, but i do post in the martial arts sections, (i r martial artist) :) but lets be honest. I had a martial arts board to post on. But neither one had great debates and political discussions, well it does, at least not to the extent of this board. And one doesnt allow political subjects at all. So what attracted me to this board was the study.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree. Most of us are quite a few years into our training and have a pretty good handle on what we are doing within the framework of our own art. I like the threads about books and movies mostly, the MA threads are usually pretty good for a look at how different styles approach things.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess i dont count in what tez said. Most of my posts are study ones, but i do post in the martial arts sections, (i r martial artist) :) but lets be honest. I had a martial arts board to post on. But neither one had great debates and political discussions, well it does, at least not to the extent of this board. And one doesnt allow political subjects at all. So what attracted me to this board was the study.

Oh you do count! :)
My point was that as martial artists we have a lot in common so all the other subjects we discuss are within frameworks we understand, part of our outlook in martial arts is discipline and respect so we start with a common denominator in all our discussions.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great argument. I guess I won't be flying either then...

ballen that guy you talk about , I agree with you, he made no sense. Unless the only thing airlines had to eat was pork, muslims can still fly. They could just have potato salad instead. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ballen that guy you talk about , I agree with you, he made no sense. Unless the only thing airlines had to eat was pork, muslims can still fly. They could just have potato salad instead. :)

Not if it's been in contact with pork or been in the same container or near the same cutlery and plates though.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

LOL, no, it was the screen for them that dangerus peoples....

Latest Discussions