Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
lol, 9th is the highest you can abtain while you are alive, if you are a 9th dan then once you die you are given a 10th

- Hwoarang_tkd26

You have to die, first? MAN. What some people will do to get promoted.

Have they no shame?

Regards,

Steve

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:

Have they no shame?

Regards,

Steve
lol, hahaha!!
Oh my heck, I thought that this was something that everone knew.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but this is what I have been taught all along, or maybe this is how it is done traditionaly, I dunno:idunno: .
Is there anyone else in here that knows this?

- Hwoarang_tkd26

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't recall when General Choi died they promoted him to 10th, but I haven't looked lately so they might have.

:supcool:

J

jakmak52

Martial Arts Curriculum Vitae

James (Jack) Makinson

3018 59th Street South

Gulfport, Florida 33707

DOB: 11/20/1952 Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois Age: 51

Style: ITF Tae Kwon Do Started: 11/10/93

School/Dojo: USA Karate - St. Petersburg, Florida

Instructors:

John Graden 7th Dan

Kathy Marlor 5th Dan

Brent Boyer 2nd Dan

Glenn Laplante 3rd Dan

Joe Lewis 10th Dan

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace

Dr. Neil Shiesske (Kareja Do) 10th Dan

Dr. Jason Hunt (AMAU) 6th Dan

Rank Advancement:

Gold Belt: 02/03/94

Orange Belt: 05/18/94

Green Belt: 09/21/94

Blue Belt: 01/20/95

Red Belt: 04/12/95

Brown Belt: 09/15/95
Black Belt - 1st Degree (Cho-Dan): 06/20/04

Competitions/Tournaments:

1999 PMTA Gold Tour, Orlando, Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Classical Forms

1999 US Open, Orlando Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Forms

2003 5th Annual Suncoast Open, Clearwater, Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Forms

2004 GSO Open Bradenton, Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Traditional Forms

2005 US Open, Orlando, Florida - 6th Place – Executive Men’s Black Belt Traditional Forms

Martial Arts affiliations:

AMAU (American Martial Arts Union) Dr. Jason Hunt

Kareja Do (Dr. Neal Schiesske)

World Black Belt Bureau

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miles said:
I don't think Joe Lewis is a Taekwondoin though.

Me: 29 yrs training, 5th dan

Glad to see another master here, we can certainly use your experience! TW

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
iv been in it about 9 months and im orange belt and the end of this week hopefully high orange :)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Miles said:
I don't think Joe Lewis is a Taekwondoin though.

Me: 29 yrs training, 5th dan

Nope. Okinawan roots. From the web site:

Lewis began his training in Okinawa studying with three instructors: Eizo Shimabuku, Kinjo Chinsaku and Seiyu Oyata and he also studied with the late great Bruce Lee. He received his Black Belt in Shorin Ryu and studied several different styles. He never believed in "style" to him they were all the same..."punching and kicking."

I recall reading he got his black belt in nine months. Before taking umbrage to this, remember that on Okie you either drink, or workout. Lewis obviously worked out. This is similar to Chuck Norris, who got his black belt in Tang Soo Do in 13 months at Osan air base in Korea. He trained five hours a day, six days a week. What else was there to do at Osan?

Regards,

Steve

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Glad to see another master here, we can certainly use your experience! TW
Thanks for the welcome TW, but the only person who calls me master is my grandmaster, and only when I am in trouble:>) I am just a student who has been around longer than some.

Take Care,

Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Nope. Okinawan roots. From the web site:

Lewis began his training in Okinawa studying with three instructors: Eizo Shimabuku, Kinjo Chinsaku and Seiyu Oyata and he also studied with the late great Bruce Lee. He received his Black Belt in Shorin Ryu and studied several different styles. He never believed in "style" to him they were all the same..."punching and kicking."

I recall reading he got his black belt in nine months. Before taking umbrage to this, remember that on Okie you either drink, or workout. Lewis obviously worked out. This is similar to Chuck Norris, who got his black belt in Tang Soo Do in 13 months at Osan air base in Korea. He trained five hours a day, six days a week. >>

Hi Steve,

I didn't think Joe Lewis studied TKD. I have a friend who has worked out with him and says he is phenomenal. I hope to be in his shape at 60.

I don't take umbrage. I don't look at a black belt as being a mystical achievement, just an important step along a life-long journey.

Take Care,

Miles

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan in an independent WTF-based TKD club -- college club. Did the Taeguk forms, only modified -- no walking stances (all changed to front stances), minor things like that.

Moved schools, joined an American Chung Do Kwan TKD Association (ACTA) school, got up to...3rd gyup, I think? Then dropped out for several reasons.

Currently training my original TKD system on my own, but have switched away from TKD, mostly.

Oh, crap -- almost forgot time/ages -- started at 19 (1999) in the first system, stayed with it for 3 years before moving to the other, stayed with that for 1 year, have been practicing on my own since. :)

P

pakua

I didn't read this whole thread- it got a bit repetitive and personal.

But can someone explain TKD rankings to me please? Especially, what's poom.

In the school where my kids train Yushinkai Kobujutsu, there's no black belt before age 16. (Not sure what happens then- my son's only 11- but I think they keep the black belt in the adult class. May be wrong on that.) On the face of it, I can't see the sense in a 8 1/2 year old with a black belt as mentioned earlier.

I loved the comment somewhere above to the effect of or their parents want them to get black belts. That says a lot to me.... you see parents in all sports re-living their youth from the touchlines. Only time a parent's allowed in our dojo is the last session before the Christmas shutdown- hey, you have to see what you're paying for sometime!

P

pakua

hardheadjarhead said:

Are natural causes ok or do you have to get kia in the dojo?

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
pakua said:
I didn't read this whole thread- it got a bit repetitive and personal.

But can someone explain TKD rankings to me please? Especially, what's poom.

In the school where my kids train Yushinkai Kobujutsu, there's no black belt before age 16. (Not sure what happens then- my son's only 11- but I think they keep the black belt in the adult class. May be wrong on that.) On the face of it, I can't see the sense in a 8 1/2 year old with a black belt as mentioned earlier.

I loved the comment somewhere above to the effect of or their parents want them to get black belts. That says a lot to me.... you see parents in all sports re-living their youth from the touchlines. Only time a parent's allowed in our dojo is the last session before the Christmas shutdown- hey, you have to see what you're paying for sometime!
Yes, My school does this too, with the poom belts.
Ok, from my understanding about the poom belt is that it is more or less to show respect to the elder black belts.
It more or less shows that they are still very young, and they still have a very long way till they meet there destination. A 1st dan poom belt is still equivelent to a 1st dan black belt, it's just that it is not a "BLACK" belt.

That is of course how I understand the perpose of the poom belt.
pakua said:
Are natural causes ok or do you have to get kia in the dojo?
Well, as far as I undersand, you have to be a 9th dan then "WHEN" you die (it doesnt matter how) you get promotted to 10th dan automaticly.
This is what I have been taught all along, I am very serprised to here that no-one knows of this. (note, I do believe that this only aplies to TKD)

- Hwoarang_tkd26

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
Well, as far as I undersand, you have to be a 9th dan then "WHEN" you die (it doesnt matter how) you get promotted to 10th dan automaticly.
This is what I have been taught all along, I am very serprised to here that no-one knows of this. (note, I do believe that this only aplies to TKD)

- Hwoarang_tkd26

I'm not allowed to die until I get ninth dan? I better start eating better and taking my aspirin a day.

Regards,

Steve

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I did...but I so burned myself out discussing serious issues (it being an election year) I find it difficult to be anything but flip. Its the only way I can recharge my dopamine levels. That and meds, of course.

Regards,

Steve

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Poom is the rank given by many WTF schools to young students who have met all of the requirements of Dan testing but are too young to be considered adult black belts. This includes forms, sparring, breaking, and time spent in Tae Kwon Do. Our organization does not issue pooms. Within reasonable age limits, black belt is black belt if the requirements are met.

Also, Tae Kwon Do has no 10th Degree. If someone claims 10th Dan, they are a liar. Or it is strictly honorary. Otherwise 9th Dan is bestowed on someone who has spent their life practicing, teaching, and promoting Tae Kwon Do. There are, by definition, not many of them. I think the WTF has fewer than 20 worldwide.
Be very wary of someone who claims 9th Dan but is not a member of any recognized organization, or claims 9th or 10th Dan in an organization they founded.

Latest Discussions