Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I could almost swear I've posted in this thread before, but I don't see myself anywhere. :idunno: Oh well.

I'm a youngin' compared to most of you. I've been training in Chung Do Kwan style Tae Kwon Do for about five years in the World Tae Kwon Do Association. I received my 1st dan from Grandmaster Duk Sung Son in August 2002. I also train in some other arts when I have the time, but I love TKD and plan on sticking with it as my base for a long time.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm Chung Do Kwan as well. Our Instructor's instructor is Grandmaster Uhm, Chung Do Kwan President and WTF/Kukkiwon VP.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
MichiganTKD said:
I'm Chung Do Kwan as well. Our Instructor's instructor is Grandmaster Uhm, Chung Do Kwan President and WTF/Kukkiwon VP.
I know, I've read you're posts before. :D

Grandmaster Son was the head instructor of the Chung Do Kwan way back before Tae Kwon Do had been named. I think the way Grandmaster Uhm teaches things today are probably just a tad different than the way we do things, but then again, maybe not so different. It'd be interesting to compare notes and curriculums sometime, on a different thread.

T

Tkang_TKD

Hello All,

I'm currently red belt/brown tip (3rd guep in my school). Been training WTF style since May 2001.

I currently train under Master Troy Rawls in San Diego, and Grand Master Gerald Wynn.

I'm pretty new to Martial Talk, but I have been lurking for a couple of weeks. I've been learning alot :)

T

Tkang_TKD

bluespacething said:
I started back in 2001....I'm currently a brown belt WTF.

I don't know if many schools do testing this way...but once a student gets to purple...then they have to get a senior belt of that color before moving to the next color. So we go white, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, purple senior, brown, brown senior, red, red senior. So it's basically getting a second belt before moving on to the next level. Do any of you have this in your ranks?

And my school has just instituted a new testing for those going for their brown senior and red senior belts. People going for these belts (which will be me at my next test) have to do all the patterns, know how to teach three different breaks, be able to command a class, teach a class, do the techniques from the last 2 quarters. This is to prepare us for our black belt test...and I know it will be tough, but I look forward to it.
My school is very similar. Our rank structure goes white, yellow, green, green/blue tip, blue, blue/red tip, red, red/brown tip, brown, brown/black tip, black belt.

We do both the old Palgwe patterns and the Taeguek patterns. 2 patterns for each ranking up to brown belt. At brown, we do Palgwe 8, and then Taeguek 8 for brown/black tip.

When testing for black belt, we have to demonstrate all 8 Palgwe patterns, and all 8 Taeguek patterns. We also demonstrate a combination of about 40 or so wrist locks, escapes, hapkido techniques etc... and perform 5 board breaks with various techniques and one brick break using a palm strike.

It's been a blast for me so far. I've gotten in the best shape of my life thanks to TKD :) :)

B

Bigodinho

LIONHEART said:
Hi Tigerwoman, great thread, I'm relatively new to Taekwon Do, been doing it for about 11 months and am currently a yellow belt (8th gu) going for green stripe in 2 weeks (studying ITF btw).

Im also currently doing Tai chi (there is no rank but have been doing it on and off for about a year), Hold a white belt in Kobujitsu (was green belt but stopped 6 years ago and just started again), and doing knife fighting from Amok and Systema and Eskrido. (yes I train to much I know heheh)

Ive been in the MA since I was 6 and hold various colour ranks in Kung Fu, Ju Jitsu, Ninjitsu, Capoeira, Shotokan and Goju Ryu Karate and have had experience in Boxing and Kick Boxing.

Yours inMA LIONHEART
Which color rank do you hold in capoeira? Which group? Just curious. :)

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been in TKD for about two years. I had to leave temporaliy because of academics. I started attending class again, and now I am a high blue belt, I'll be testing for my red in September.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Kamaria Annina, to the forum, I have learned alot since I got on this board. Its interesting to learn more about the other arts, other practitioners, as well as Taekwondo. My daughter, has a friend studying Taekwondo in Colorado. She just got her black belt late last year. You are in a hard work time--not that it gets any easier! Keep up the good work! See ya 'around. If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll try to answer them or PM the moderator below, or post your question in the "Support" area. :) TW

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I went to a TKD class last night. The instructor is moving more towards a "stand-up fighting" style. He also teaches BJJ. He is a 4th degree black belt in TKD and a brown belt in BJJ.

cheers,
KE

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huh? TKD is a stand up style. If you're flopping around on the floor, that ain't TKD.

J

JayK

Hi guys... new here.

I train in AIMAA style taekwondo, and I'm a second degree black belt. Been training for about 6 years now... also trained in Shotokan Karate for about 3 yrs too...
Marginal said:
Huh? TKD is a stand up style. If you're flopping around on the floor, that ain't TKD.
We incorporate grappling into our style. Mainly BJJ techniques. Only last week I was 'flopping' around the floor in class. :p

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a difference between hosin sul and "moving towards a stand up style" which implies that they mainly wrestle.

S

sifu nick

I study the Gen. Choi style of TKD and have for many (lost count) years. I am currently a Black Belt and an instructor at my school. Ours is an independent school with a combined system including aikido,judo,ju-jitsu for self defense with many students competing nationally in sport karate (NASKA, KRANE, NBL) tournaments.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nick,

If you are a Tae Kwon Do instructor, why do you use the term "sifu" which is a Chinese word for Instructor? What, do you practice Chinese Tae Kwon Do?

B

blackbeltedbeauty

I'm a 1st degree in ITF taekwondo. I started at 13 and have been in it almost 5 yrs. :btg: <---- what tkd is good for :)

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
blackbeltedbeauty said:
I'm a 1st degree in ITF taekwondo. I started at 13 and have been in it almost 5 yrs. :btg: <---- what tkd is good for :)

Hi BBB, welcome to the board. As you can see there are alot of us here in Taekwondo but not as many as the Kenpo contingent. Congrats on your 1st dan black belt. I hope you continue martial arts throughout your life. Remember I said that. I have a 17 yr. old son and a 20 yr. old daughter. Just the daughter wants to continue---so far. TW

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi evryone.
I have been practicing TKD for 7 years (ages 11-18), actually longer than that if you want to count the one year I started at age 7-8 making it to green belt.
When I came back at 11 I started over at white belt and have been there ever since, Im am now a 2nd dan and in about 10 months can test for my 3rd.
I am under the World TaeKwonDo Federation (WTF).
I plan to continue my TKD for the rest of my life, my goal is to eventually make it to 9th dan if I can (well ultimatly 10th dan, becuase we all know that if you have a 9th you are promised a 10th)

- Hwoarang_tkd26

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Klondike93 said:
Wasn't aware that TKD started promoting past 9th :confused:

:supcool:
lol, 9th is the highest you can abtain while you are alive, if you are a 9th dan then once you die you are given a 10th

- Hwoarang_tkd26

Latest Discussions