What makes a Martial Arts System Practical for Physical Self-Defense?

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I assume you're being intentionally obtuse,
Nope.. Just do not agree with you. Especially when you & The other guy jobby, jobo or Whatever he's called do not show us. Sure i can take a light weight & maybe squat 5 mins with it but why? Look at the Video of ed corney & arnold now try that & tell me if that's intensity. You are not going to do that in 10 mins with more than one exercise. Tom platz squatted with weights for high reps but He was a genetic freak.. No not all steroids.
No athletic Performance will be dramatically increase in 5/10 mins 1x @ week . Name these Pro athletes you train.

Side Note : i notice when i answer you jobby jobo is suddenly online.
Are you the same Person?

Last edited:

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
What makes a Martial Arts System Practical for Physical Self-Defense?

I'm curious to see the perspectives of others.
I think it's more about the mentality it instills in you. For example, Mexican Style Boxing is designed to destroy your opponent. In contrast, Taekwondo only lets you concentrate on landing the first hit since most sparring is point-based.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's more about the mentality it instills in you. For example, Mexican Style Boxing is designed to destroy your opponent. In contrast, Taekwondo only lets you concentrate on landing the first hit since most sparring is point-based.
I don’t know anything about Mexican style boxing. I’ve never even heard of it as a specific thing. But if it is truly something designed to destroy the opponent, it is hardly unique. This is a common trait found in martial arts. Yes, including TKD, if that is one’s goal and training is done appropriately for it.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about Mexican style boxing. I’ve never even heard of it as a specific thing. But if it is truly something designed to destroy the opponent, it is hardly unique. This is a common trait found in martial arts. Yes, including TKD, if that is one’s goal and training is done appropriately for it.
To get into it much, Mexican Style boxing sacrifices your defense for more offense. It's a boxing style that emphasizes mixing the speed of your punches and steamrolling your opponent with physical dominance. It encourages a very aggressive style of boxing by focusing on getting as close to your opponent as possible, but this does lead to taking on more damage too.

If you're interested, you should look into other styles of boxing that come from different countries. Such as American Style, Cuban Style... Many of these styles are based on cultural differences e.g. Mexican is pure "machismo" (chauvinism) in terms that as a man you should be facing your opponent head-on, not "running" (dodging).

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To get into it much, Mexican Style boxing sacrifices your defense for more offense. It's a boxing style that emphasizes mixing the speed of your punches and steamrolling your opponent with physical dominance. It encourages a very aggressive style of boxing by focusing on getting as close to your opponent as possible, but this does lead to taking on more damage too.

If you're interested, you should look into other styles of boxing that come from different countries. Such as American Style, Cuban Style... Many of these styles are based on cultural differences e.g. Mexican is pure "machismo" (chauvinism) in terms that as a man you should be facing your opponent head-on, not "running" (dodging).
have to admit i never knew this either. Mind you Boxing has a long history. Even the Greeks boxed sometimes to the death. A bit like modern Bare knuckle boxing. popular in England.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OH..they still have a style of old greek boxing...very intresting.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Underground beer Belly boxing :D

Pro.. but i like the amatuer better ..hahaha

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Can destroying one's opponent be considered self defense? Seems like the person whom you're trying to destroy is the one doing the defending.

I've always thought it hilarious that some styles focus on curb stomping, crushing trachea and all manner of ways to rip off gonads or pluck out eyeballs. That has never seemed much like self defense to me.

I'm also curious to hear more about TKD guys who are into this. Around here, at least, it's usually the ninja and the karateka who are into murder as a means of self defense.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can destroying one's opponent be considered self defense? Seems like the person whom you're trying to destroy is the one doing the defending.

I've always thought it hilarious that some styles focus on curb stomping, crushing trachea and all manner of ways to rip off gonads or pluck out eyeballs. That has never seemed much like self defense to me.

I'm also curious to hear more about TKD guys who are into this. Around here, at least, it's usually the ninja and the karateka who are into murder as a means of self defense.
I consider it self-defense. I don't care if the other guy is trying to murder me or slap me round the face. He overstepped his boundaries - I'll bare my fangs, and I'll make sure he doesn't do so again. Just because a style has brutal tactics, doesn't mean you can't go easy on your opponent.

Regardless, showing mercy to an opponent, or "going easy on them", is also a lethal mistake.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think if you are in a life or death situation..worry about the Law later on. However if you beat a guy & he´s no threat & you jump on his head..go to jail.
Got to be sensible too.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Regardless, showing mercy to an opponent, or "going easy on them", is also a lethal mistake.
understand this too. sometimes being nice is seen as a sign of weakness. I had a few fist fights also with a blade. I beat the guy with a blade badly but in a quick fight i will stop if he´s on the floor & no more threat. I do not want a manslaughter charge. Same with using a beer glass, i saw this a lot. If someone will glass you then he deserves it. The worst bar fights were actually in bars near military bases. I saw a few people get glassed. The Days of a fist fight went out the window in the mid 80s. I knew a few people who got stabbed too when "down town" on the piss. We had a problem with Turkish people they carry blades.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I consider it self-defense. I don't care if the other guy is trying to murder me or slap me round the face. He overstepped his boundaries - I'll bare my fangs, and I'll make sure he doesn't do so again. Just because a style has brutal tactics, doesn't mean you can't go easy on your opponent.

Is it though? I mean this as a serious question. I have no desire to "destroy" anyone, and my experience has never led me to believe that showing mercy is a lethal mistake. It seems like it might also put you in peril of being on the wrong side of the law.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i agree, hurt them badly, just have a degree of proportionality about inflicting life long injuries to the actual threat they pose, you can still really hurt them

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I’m actually not interested, I guess my days of looking at everything out there are in the past. I did a lot of that, looking to see what other systems are doing. I spent time training in a number of them. I’ve found a system that seems to be a good match for me personally and I am content.

But those traits you describe, having a very aggressive approach, is the same as the system I study. It isn’t based on machismo. It is just based on a recognition that if it comes down to it, you need to get the job done quickly.

But my point is, what you are describing is far from unique.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
showing mercy to an opponent, or "going easy on them", is also a lethal mistake.
If you ever compete in golden glove boxing, you will find out that your opponent tries to knock you head off with no mercy (I had competed once in my life). If you don't knock your opponent down, your opponent will put you to sleep soon. You don't get this kind of feeling in light contact sparring, or wrestling.

When you have just barely dodged a full power punch next to your head, the only thing in your mind is trying to knock your opponent down ASAP so you will be safe afterward.

Are you a bad guy? No! You just want to survive.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it though? I mean this as a serious question. I have no desire to "destroy" anyone, and my experience has never led me to believe that showing mercy is a lethal mistake. It seems like it might also put you in peril of being on the wrong side of the law.
Your personal experience may not have fleshed this out but there are countless stories of similar experiences. Where someone let there foot off and it came back to bite them.
Definitely a decision that needs to be made ahead of time somewhat. It has a ton to do with the persons experience and confidence.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know what Mexican Style Boxing is.