Video Frustration

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That might not sound like much but little expenses add up.
Out of curiosity, and bearing in mind that I have no say in the price, or gain from any changes, so this is pure curiosity: Considering the amount that you use this site, what would you consider a fair price? How much would you pay for something that you use the same amount you are on martialtalk, given your current budget?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My dear, it's not a rant, it's an explanation. Don't read into my words more than there is. 'Over explaining' to people is most often seen as patronising. If I want to know something I will ask, I don't mind not knowing about something and feel fine about asking so I can learn but please don't go on about something when not asked.
I'm also not speaking for people, I asked him to consider why people were arguing with him more than before which they actually are.

Please note chart and the bit that says 'did she ask you to explain?' I did not ask for an explanation and 'did you ask if she needed it explained.' I did not ask.

View attachment 22122

Please take this in the spirit it is offered, a light hearted nudge to chaps out there, it will help in all relationships. :D
come on, tez. Don't momsplain mansplaining to me,.

Also, regarding the term mansplaining, I really hate it when people mangle the English language by making up or misusing words. :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, and bearing in mind that I have no say in the price, or gain from any changes, so this is pure curiosity: Considering the amount that you use this site, what would you consider a fair price? How much would you pay for something that you use the same amount you are on martialtalk, given your current budget?
I don't think this is the right question. Martialtalk wouldn't exist without posters, and I doubt it would survive as a premium, subscription only site. The right question is, what features would add enough value to the free experience to make it worth subscribing? Right now, frankly, the only reason to pay is out of some sense of obligation. Posting vids isn't much value. I can just post a URL instead.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think this is the right question. Martialtalk wouldn't exist without posters, and I doubt it would survive as a premium, subscription based site. The right question is, what features would add enough value to the free experience to make it worth subscribing. Right now, frankly, the only reason to pay is out of some sense of obligation.
Well, then I have two questions.
1: What features would have to be added right now to make it worth it for you?
2: What current features would have to be placed behind a paywall for you to start paying for it? Or would you (assuming it would somehow survive) stop using the site rather than pay?

FWIW, so it doesn't seem like I'm trying to pitch anything: my answers are:
1: Be able to sign up easily. I tried a couple time a few years back and couldn't, so I gave up on it. The main reason I was trying to sign up was not obligation, but as a way to show gratitude for the use I've gained from the site. I've since decided to find other ways to show my gratitude. I still think it's a good way to do it, assuming there aren't any issues doing so.
2: It would depend on the price, honestly. I can't say what price I would pay for it, until it happened. But I would get resentful to a site for being forced to pay for something that I used to have access to for free.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
2: What current features would have to be placed behind a paywall for you to start paying for it? Or would you (assuming it would somehow survive) stop using the site rather than pay?

1: Be able to sign up easily. I tried a couple time a few years back and couldn't, so I gave up on it. The main reason I was trying to sign up was not obligation, but as a way to show gratitude for the use I've gained from the site. I've since decided to find other ways to show my gratitude. I still think it's a good way to do it, assuming there aren't any issues doing so.
2: It would depend on the price, honestly. I can't say what price I would pay for it, until it happened. But I would get resentful to a site for being forced to pay for something that I used to have access to for free.
1: oh, I don't know. Quality, interesting original content? Although if YouTube red couldn't get folks to subscribe, and Facebook is free to use, honestly, guilt might be the best hope.

2: nothing I can think of. I'd probably take it as a hint and find a free site.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1: oh, I don't know. Quality, interesting original content? Although if YouTube red couldn't get folks to subscribe, and Facebook is free to use, honestly, guilt might be the best hope.
One of the people at my dojo, who practices BJJ, said there's a forum he pays for specifically because it has a library of different BJJ tech's, in a ton of different situations. He pays not for the forum, but for the specific knowledge he can get from it.

I could see myself paying readily for a site that offers a similar thing for a wide range of martial arts. Not necessarily entire systems, but good-quality, vetted videos on the basics of as many systems as they could, with core techniques/philosophies/methods, done by 'experts' in the system. I'm not sure how many people would share interest in something like that, though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I paid for much the same reason, and agree that more folks would pay if it was easier. In fact, I know that to be true. How do I know? I can think of at least 4 people (current members) off the top of my head who are not "supporting members" who have mentioned trying to become one. So, for a significant minority, they'd pay if it worked like it's supposed to.

I would never have signed up if the site had much restriction on free membership. I think there was a better distinction in the past when this forum was REALLY busy (Bob seems to have gotten it up and running at a time when people felt more of a need for a specific forum), because there was an entire area where members discussed things that weren't open to all. With something like that, if the right people are members, significant value builds up in that content, without much effort. Some negotiated discounts, perhaps including some deals on MA gear, might be better enticements these days. Also, if there were any MT gatherings (like multi-discipline MA seminars), discounts there, or even supporting-members-only sessions would add value to the membership.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure. However, that's pretty much your issue. The rules haven't changed. If you want to make commercial posts, scrape up the $19.95. Or don't do it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been there. There have definitely been times when $20 was more than I was willing to spend on something like supporting a site, because it was $20 I'd have to not have for food or gas. That it would cover a year wouldn't have been material, because I'd have had to pay that $20 all at once.

It wasn't a fun place to be. I hope your current situation is less stressful for you than what I experienced.

Latest Discussions