Video Frustration

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When people who don't know any better are using the wrong words, new or not, which don't mean what they think they do, then they are asking to be ripped. Making up new words is fine but using words, new or otherwise incorrectly ( ie different from the accepted meaning of the word) gives the impression that the writer is an ignoramus and conveys totally the wrong context to the reader. Make up a word by all means, decide what it means but don't then use it to mean something completely different.
25 Common Words That You’ve Got Wrong
I'm glad you acknowledge the term and are now arguing it is just being misapplied. So, let's talk about that.

Reviewing the Oxford English Dictionary, the correct definition is number 3, which has been in common use for only 20 years. But in fairness, can be seen as a slightly different interpretation of the primary definition. So, in terms of the history of the English language, sure this definition is young. But it's still 20 years. What's your threshold?

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would I want to spend hours looking for videos when I could be training?
It doesn't always take hours to find a good MA video.
Besides, as awesome as it might be you just can't train all the time, got to rest and recover.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides, as awesome as it might be you just can't train all the time, got to rest and recover.

Mmm let me think about this, I train and coach, ref and judge, I take one Rainbow unit, two Brownie and one Guide one. I have a fund raising coffee morning on Thursday, planning meeting on Friday, Division meeting the next Monday I have the garden to sort, shopping to do, housework, I like reading, I knit, I'm waiting for my granddaughter to arrive in a couple of weeks so I've been knitting blankets, shawls and baby clothes. I also knit toys to sell. I take my 91 year old father out to do his shopping, banking etc, I travel three hours to see my daughter and son in law, I go to the gym, I help with security and related matters in Jewish schools/homes etc.

Just when do you think I have the time to sit and trawl through tacky martial arts videos to look for a rare grain of gold??

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mmm let me think about this, I train and coach, ref and judge, I take one Rainbow unit, two Brownie and one Guide one. I have a fund raising coffee morning on Thursday, planning meeting on Friday, Division meeting the next Monday I have the garden to sort, shopping to do, housework, I like reading, I knit, I'm waiting for my granddaughter to arrive in a couple of weeks so I've been knitting blankets, shawls and baby clothes. I also knit toys to sell. I take my 91 year old father out to do his shopping, banking etc, I travel three hours to see my daughter and son in law, I go to the gym, I help with security and related matters in Jewish schools/homes etc.

Just when do you think I have the time to sit and trawl through tacky martial arts videos to look for a rare grain of gold??
it looks like you might have some time Thursday afternoons, between the coffee fundraiser and the planning meeting on Friday. And at some point whatever you are planning each Friday will be planned which will give you almost an entire day to watch tacky videos.

Also, I think you are misusing "trawl." I looked in the OED, and your application of the term is fishy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As mentioned previously just become a supporting member and then post the videos that you want.
Serious question, there have been folks in the past who have tried to become supporting members, and encountered technical issues. Are those all cleared up now?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it looks like you might have some time Thursday afternoons, between the coffee fundraiser and the planning meeting on Friday. And at some point whatever you are planning each Friday will be planned which will give you almost an entire day to watch tacky videos.

Also, I think you are misusing "trawl." I looked in the OED, and your application of the term is fishy.

Nope, second definition..... ie 'search thoroughly' trawl | Definition of trawl in English by Oxford Dictionaries

I have a husband with a heart condition to keep an eye on especially at the moment with England playing the Windies. ( cricket)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious question, there have been folks in the past who have tried to become supporting members, and encountered technical issues. Are those all cleared up now?

The new owners have, historically, been slower about dealing with things like supporting memberships, but I have not heard of any problems recently.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
There seems to be an increase of using words wrongly to make what is said sound grander these days, 'paid for' would do better than monetize. If the OP had said his link was removed because you had to pay to watch the video it doesn't sound clunky and pretentious.

You dont have to pay to watch the video.

You are paid for posting the video by Youtube....viewing is free

A monetized video is a video you YouTube pays the owner

So he would have had to say....the video was removed because the the owner of the video is being paid by YouTube for its content.

Seems like saying it is monetized is simpler

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nope, second definition..... ie 'search thoroughly' trawl | Definition of trawl in English by Oxford Dictionaries

I have a husband with a heart condition to keep an eye on especially at the moment with England playing the Windies. ( cricket)
Oh sure. Now you're using the living dictionary. Well, according to Urban dictionary, trawl means... Well, better not say. ;)

Besides, the definition you're using has only been recognized by OED since 1980 or so. Surely that's too new for you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why would I want to spend hours looking for videos when I could be training?
Videos can be helpful. Especially when certain things are being explained. Videos are just another way to share knowledge.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ust when do you think I have the time to sit and trawl through tacky martial arts videos to look for a rare grain of gold??
You wouldn't, but if there was a place that offered quality videos. This is why youtube has a subscriber feature that allows people to subscribe to videos from sources that the user feels is high quality.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the Latin moneta meaning money presumably, the Oxford English Dictionary ( a very reputable source doesn't have anything for monetized)There seems to be an increase of using words wrongly to make what is said sound grander these days, 'paid for' would do better than monetize. If the OP had said his link was removed because you had to pay to watch the video it doesn't sound clunky and pretentious.
This is a brilliant site for anything to do with the English language, I am a subscriber but you can use the dictionary and the other features for free. Home : Oxford English Dictionary
Except that's not what "monetized" means. You don't have to pay to watch the video.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to have help from an Admin to get it done. I haven't heard from anyone attempting recently, one way or the other.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well if I could post videos than you could watch them and you wouldn't have to trawl through videos.

The problem is I can't post videos if they're monetized, and most of the good ones are.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
As mentioned previously just become a supporting member and then post the videos that you want.
That would no doubt involve making a financial commitment, I spend enough money as it is, as a matter of fact I've been spending too much and have had to cut back.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that's not what "monetized" means. You don't have to pay to watch the video.
Well if I could post videos than you could watch them and you wouldn't have to trawl through videos.

The problem is I can't post videos if they're monetized, and most of the good ones are.
That would no doubt involve making a financial commitment, I spend enough money as it is, as a matter of fact I've been spending too much and have had to cut back.

Someone thinks you do hence the problem of using the word.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't, but if there was a place that offered quality videos. This is why youtube has a subscriber feature that allows people to subscribe to videos from sources that the user feels is high quality.

Still don't have time, and I don't learn anything from videos, I'm not a visual learner so complete waste of time for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still don't have time, and I don't learn anything from videos, I'm not a visual learner so complete waste of time for me.
Education research shows that everyone learns more or less the same way for a given task. It's the type of material (information, task ,etc.) being learned that dictates what modality works best. A visual learner is juts someone who tends to do somewhat better where that modality is more useful.

So, while I'm a kinesthetic learner (meaning I'll do a bit better than some folks when kinesthetic learning is being used), verbal delivery (writing/speaking) is still the best way to teach information to me.

Latest Discussions