Valentines day... Who is going training?

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's Valentines day today, who is going to brave the day and go training instead of spending time with their partner? Haha ;)

Luckily I had already discussed today with my better half yesterday.... We agreed to go out for a meal on Sunday when it's quieter and this morning we exchanged cards and presents...

So with that, I'm going training tonight for two hours - even though I could really do with a night off...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never done Valentine's Day. I think it's just a way of shops trying to make money. When I was married we never did it. I have no problem training and neither did my wife

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I teach on Thursdays so yes, I will be at class although I expect it to be smaller.
We have been married for 28 years and have always recognized Valentines Day. Most years just a good dinner and a hug (wink, wink). I'm cool with celebrating the spirit of the day put I am not going to waste bunch of money on it commercially. Since tomorrow is Friday we may go somewhere for the weekend to celebrate.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I consider keeping the better half happy a form of training, in and of itself. In fact, I might go so far as to say that it is the most important training I do... it is certainly the trickiest and most nuanced training. That said... yes, I will be training tonight. Though it is yet to be determined if my training will take place at the dojo yet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My wife is from China and I was told days ago not to waste money on a card or any of this Valentines silliness..... tells me the same thing every year...so...I am free to train

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife had to work until 8:30 pm, so I had to be home with our daughters. I took them out for a nice Valentine’s date - Red Robin. :) They’re 6 and 8, so their idea of nice is a bit different. My 6 year old said she was going to choose McDonald’s but wanted to go somewhere nice because it’s Valentine’s Day. :)

I let them choose the place, brought them home some flowers, stuff like that. They’re the little loves of my life.

Sure it’s a stupid made up holiday. But my family’s my priority. The dojo and other things can wait; they’ll still be there the next day. We usually avoid the restaurants on Valentine’s Day because the crowds. I usually cook a nice dinner and we’ll typically do a restaurant on another night

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Valentines day today, who is going to brave the day and go training instead of spending time with their partner? Haha ;)

Luckily I had already discussed today with my better half yesterday.... We agreed to go out for a meal on Sunday when it's quieter and this morning we exchanged cards and presents...

So with that, I'm going training tonight for two hours - even though I could really do with a night off...
It was never an issue for me - the Hobbit grew up in the USSR, and has no real interest in Valentines day (except for the great discounts on heart-shaped boxes of chocolate afterwards). So I was off teaching corporate training classes...alas, no MA training for me.