Video Frustration

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently had a post removed from the forum that had a link to a video because the video was monetized. On this site you cannot post monetized videos. I can see why they might not allow it but this is nonetheless frustrating because they're lots of very good, very informative videos out there that I would like to share but that happen to be monetized.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently had a post removed from the forum that had a link to a video because the video was monetized. On this site you cannot post monetized videos. I can see why they might not allow it but this is nonetheless frustrating because they're lots of very good, very informative videos out there that I would like to share but that happen to be monetized.
But why should the board owners here send money their way?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'monetized'...….. good grief. That's a mangling of the English language which puts the teeth on edge. :rolleyes:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
'monetized'...….. good grief. That's a mangling of the English language which puts the teeth on edge. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure the term "monetize" is older than anyone on this forum. Even you. ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the term "monetize" is older than anyone on this forum. Even you. ;)

I had to google it...I have no clue what's a reliable etymology site, so I checked about 10 different ones. They all put the word as coming from latin, in the mid to late 19th century.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I had to google it...I have no clue what's a reliable etymology site, so I checked about 10 different ones. They all put the word as coming from latin, in the mid to late 19th century.
I think it became more popular in the mid 20th, but from Google, it was first used in the mid to late 1800s. Either way, it predates YouTube. It would be hilarious if it was coined by a Brit. :)

This is a good reminder that typing with a British accent doesn't mean one is an expert on the language.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From the Latin moneta meaning money presumably, the Oxford English Dictionary ( a very reputable source doesn't have anything for monetized)There seems to be an increase of using words wrongly to make what is said sound grander these days, 'paid for' would do better than monetize. If the OP had said his link was removed because you had to pay to watch the video it doesn't sound clunky and pretentious.
This is a brilliant site for anything to do with the English language, I am a subscriber but you can use the dictionary and the other features for free. Home : Oxford English Dictionary

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There seems to be an increase of using words wrongly to make what is said sound grander these days
Not an increase. It's been happening for a while now. It's gotten worse sense the Internet. Internet gave live to a bunch of things that needed to be named and marketed. For me all videos are "monetized" or at least hast the potential to be. If you do martial arts and have a video of your school then you are marketing your school which help bring new students to your school. Even if you don't have a school you can show a video that drives people to a website to see more videos and when you get to that website you get exposed to ads. So in that case the video is helping to create money.

The only real difference is who is taking advantage of the money potential of their videos and who isn't.. Here's a good example. The more good videos that are posted to MT the more people will come to MT because it has good videos and cuts down on the time it would take to search for that type of video. So the videos that are posted here draw people to the website and expose people to the adds on the website. Video has just been "Monetized" The question is. Is MT taking advantage of that or is it just letting it go by.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an increase. It's been happening for a while now. It's gotten worse sense the Internet. Internet gave live to a bunch of things that needed to be named and marketed. For me all videos are "monetized" or at least hast the potential to be. If you do martial arts and have a video of your school then you are marketing your school which help bring new students to your school. Even if you don't have a school you can show a video that drives people to a website to see more videos and when you get to that website you get exposed to ads. So in that case the video is helping to create money.

The only real difference is who is taking advantage of the money potential of their videos and who isn't.. Here's a good example. The more good videos that are posted to MT the more people will come to MT because it has good videos and cuts down on the time it would take to search for that type of video. So the videos that are posted here draw people to the website and expose people to the adds on the website. Video has just been "Monetized" The question is. Is MT taking advantage of that or is it just letting it go by.

I very rarely watch martial arts videos, preferring to watch things live. I have never come onto MT looking to watch videos either. I think they are mostly a waste of time but then I'm not a visual learner, I can't learn anything from just watching.
Anyway I was complaining about using the word not the actual practice of earning money from videos.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You guys sound like every old person ever complaining about change. Go ahead and refer to something as newfangled gobbledygook, and we can wrap this thread up. :)

Until someone knocks William Shakespeare off the top of the hill for inventing new words, I remain both unimpressed and unworried about the consistent, continual evolution of the English language.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From the Latin moneta meaning money presumably, the Oxford English Dictionary ( a very reputable source doesn't have anything for monetized)There seems to be an increase of using words wrongly to make what is said sound grander these days, 'paid for' would do better than monetize. If the OP had said his link was removed because you had to pay to watch the video it doesn't sound clunky and pretentious.
This is a brilliant site for anything to do with the English language, I am a subscriber but you can use the dictionary and the other features for free. Home : Oxford English Dictionary
Home : Oxford English Dictionary

From the OED, it looks like your beloved dictionary references the term being used as early as 1867. Perhaps your issue is that you are using the dictionary incorrectly.

monetize, v.
Pronunciation:
Brit. /ˈmʌnᵻtʌɪz/
U.S. /ˈmɑnəˌtaɪz/
Forms: 18– monetise, 18– monetize. (Show More)
Frequency (in current use):
Origin:
A borrowing from Latin, combined with an English element. Etymons: Latin monēta , -ize suffix.
Etymology: < classical Latin monēta money n. + -ize suffix. Compare French monétiser (1818 in sense ‘to make (paper money) into legal tender’). Compare also monetization n., and slightly earlier demonetize v.
N.E.D. (1907) gives only the pronunciation (mǫ·nĭtəiz) /ˈmɒnɪtaɪz/.
... (Show More)
Economics.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah well lots of things wrong with them. Bad martial arts videos being the least of the them.
Yes there are tons of bad martial arts videos on youtube, but there's the good ones too. If you're an experienced martial artist and if you dig deep enough you can find them.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's your purpose of sharing? Do you have anything that you are interested to discuss?
Yes there is lots of stuff Im interested in discussing but sometimes it works much better if I show something with a video rather than trying to explain it. I like to share because sometimes you do find really good videos on youtube, and not necessarily martial arts videos, videos about other stuff too. Also I like to get feedback on videos from other users on this site.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I very rarely watch martial arts videos, preferring to watch things live. I have never come onto MT looking to watch videos either. I think they are mostly a waste of time but then I'm not a visual learner, I can't learn anything from just watching.
Anyway I was complaining about using the word not the actual practice of earning money from videos.
Same thing. Word doesn't match or make sense when you break it down. Like monitizing drawing skills or teaching skills. It's not accurate just catchy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're an experienced martial artist and if you dig deep enough you can find them.

Why would I want to spend hours looking for videos when I could be training?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys sound like every old person ever complaining about change. Go ahead and refer to something as newfangled gobbledygook, and we can wrap this thread up. :)

Until someone knocks William Shakespeare off the top of the hill for inventing new words, I remain both unimpressed and unworried about the consistent, continual evolution of the English language.

When people who don't know any better are using the wrong words, new or not, which don't mean what they think they do, then they are asking to be ripped. Making up new words is fine but using words, new or otherwise incorrectly ( ie different from the accepted meaning of the word) gives the impression that the writer is an ignoramus and conveys totally the wrong context to the reader. Make up a word by all means, decide what it means but don't then use it to mean something completely different.
25 Common Words That You’ve Got Wrong

Latest Discussions