Video Frustration

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Education research shows that everyone learns more or less the same way for a given task. It's the type of material (information, task ,etc.) being learned that dictates what modality works best. A visual learner is juts someone who tends to do somewhat better where that modality is more useful.

So, while I'm a kinesthetic learner (meaning I'll do a bit better than some folks when kinesthetic learning is being used), verbal delivery (writing/speaking) is still the best way to teach information to me.

So you think I'm lying about not being able to learn from just watching? Mmm thanks for that. :rolleyes:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would no doubt involve making a financial commitment, I spend enough money as it is, as a matter of fact I've been spending too much and have had to cut back.

It's $19.95 a year. If that's going to break the bank, then you probably need to cut back a lot more.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think I'm lying about not being able to learn from just watching? Mmm thanks for that. :rolleyes:

so it amuses you to call me a liar, it doesn't get any better doesn't it. I am really disappointed in you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Serious question, there have been folks in the past who have tried to become supporting members, and encountered technical issues. Are those all cleared up now?

I assume so but the supporting membership is run by the ownership ForumFoundry.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What amuses me is that you missed everything I said. Really, every part.
What amuses me are cat videos. There are many on YouTube. I'd post a link to one, but it has been monetized.

Boom, and we are full circle. You're welcome for getting this back on topic.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oh course I did, you are never wrong these days, you are now condescending and patronising because, sunshine, you didn't understand a word of what I wrote instead choosing to post what you thought was a put down about how you 'understand learning' but I obviously don't. It must be fun for you to sit there now laughing at people you used to be one of the guys, it's a shame you aren't now. Well that's you for the ignore bin now. Bye.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oh haha, standard response for the condescending, 'oh I am so amused because you didn't understand what I wrote because I'm so clever' person. No sunshine I didn't misunderstand it, I ignored it totally and took issue with your mansplaining and patronising attitude and look you can use your Mod 'powers on me to shut me up too, isn't that fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh course I did, you are never wrong these days, you are now condescending and patronising because, sunshine, you didn't understand a word of what I wrote instead choosing to post what you thought was a put down about how you 'understand learning' but I obviously don't. It must be fun for you to sit there now laughing at people you used to be one of the guys, it's a shame you aren't now. Well that's you for the ignore bin now. Bye.
If that suits you, fine. You seem to think something about me changed when they made me a mod. It didn't, except I'm occasionally a bit slower to enter the fray.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
unfortunately you cannot ignore a moderator. Mechanically, the site doesn't allow it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the Latin moneta meaning money presumably, the Oxford English Dictionary ( a very reputable source doesn't have anything for monetized)There seems to be an increase of using words wrongly to make what is said sound grander these days, 'paid for' would do better than monetize. If the OP had said his link was removed because you had to pay to watch the video it doesn't sound clunky and pretentious.
This is a brilliant site for anything to do with the English language, I am a subscriber but you can use the dictionary and the other features for free. Home : Oxford English Dictionary
Language is a living thing. Dictionaries reflect usage, not vice versa.

Horse..then cart.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that suits you, fine. You seem to think something about me changed when they made me a mod. It didn't, except I'm occasionally a bit slower to enter the fray.

so the fact that people are disagreeing with you more now has nothing to do with it, you may not think your posts have changed but they have. You would not have posted up a lecture on how people learn to someone who said they can't learn by watching before you became a Mod, that you did indicates you think you are now superior. Before it would have been 'yeah some people are like that it would have been understanding, now it's just condescending, you've done it to several posters now, as I said it's disappointing. And before you say anything else, it's not a personal attack, it's me saying it's often what happens when people police other people.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the fact that people are disagreeing with you more now has nothing to do with it, you may not think your posts have changed but they have. You would not have posted up a lecture on how people learn to someone who said they can't learn by watching before you became a Mod, that you did indicates you think you are now superior. Before it would have been 'yeah some people are like that it would have been understanding, now it's just condescending, you've done it to several posters now, as I said it's disappointing. And before you say anything else, it's not a personal attack, it's me saying it's often what happens when people police other people.
No, you took issue with similar posts of mine long before I became a mod, Tez. You've often referred to any explanation that happens to come from a man, and which happens to have a woman as the intended audience, as "mansplaining". Is it mansplaining when I take the same tone with Jobo (which you can find me doing quite a lot, and he just argues back if he disagrees with what I'm saying, rather than taking offense). And I'm wrong plenty...and am as blind as anyone to when I am.

If you think I've failed to argue with folks in the past, I don't know what to do wit that. I doubt Steve and Drop bear see my past actions that way.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
in your opinion. You're presuming to speak on behalf of a lot of people here. Gerry's pretty much the same chronic overexplainer he's always been. :)

Also, gerry is a professional trainer, and has particular expertise in the area of adult learning. I've learned a few things from him and hope he's learned from me, as well, in this area. So, when he speaks on the topic, he may be mistaken, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he has credibility in the field. If you don't see the irony in your current rant, you must be too close to it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, you took issue with similar posts of mine long before I became a mod, Tez. You've often referred to any explanation that happens to come from a man, and which happens to have a woman as the intended audience, as "mansplaining". Is it mansplaining when I take the same tone with Jobo (which you can find me doing quite a lot, and he just argues back if he disagrees with what I'm saying, rather than taking offense). And I'm wrong plenty...and am as blind as anyone to when I am.

If you think I've failed to argue with folks in the past, I don't know what to do wit that. I doubt Steve and Drop bear see my past actions that way.
You're a jerk, Dent. A real kneebiter.

I mean, you're a disagreeable cuss. Always have been. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gerry's pretty much the same chronic overexplainer he's always been. :)
I think an eye roll would have been a more appropriate emoticon when talking about my chronic overexplaining, Steve. Because there's not an "obvious understatement" emoticon.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in your opinion. You're presuming to speak on behalf of a lot of people here. Gerry's pretty much the same chronic overexplainer he's always been. :)

Also, gerry is a professional trainer, and has particular expertise in the area of adult learning. I've learned a few things from him and hope he's learned from me, as well, in this area. So, when he speaks on the topic, he may be mistaken, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he has credibility in the field. If you don't see the irony in your current rant, you must be too close to it.

My dear, it's not a rant, it's an explanation. Don't read into my words more than there is. 'Over explaining' to people is most often seen as patronising. If I want to know something I will ask, I don't mind not knowing about something and feel fine about asking so I can learn but please don't go on about something when not asked.
I'm also not speaking for people, I asked him to consider why people were arguing with him more than before which they actually are.

Please note chart and the bit that says 'did she ask you to explain?' I did not ask for an explanation and 'did you ask if she needed it explained.' I did not ask.

mansp.jpg

Please take this in the spirit it is offered, a light hearted nudge to chaps out there, it will help in all relationships. :D