AN AMAZING TRIBUTE TO AMERCIAN HEROES.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEP i'M SHOUTING AT EVERYONE!! :) I don't know how many of you can find it on your news programmes but please try. A flypast has been arranged for tomorrow to commemorate ten airmen who gave their lives so others could live. It's a story that has many of us in tears, the self sacrifice of the airmen and the dedication of one man who has kept their memories alive because he was one of the children who the airmen crashed to avoid. There is already an annual Memorial service but this year there's something special. The flypast is dependent on weather conditions and mission requirements of course, but the United States Air Force and Royal Air Force is anticipating using a unique variety of aircraft from bases at RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall ( these two are American airbases) and RAF Coningsby ( .RAF Coningsby | RAF Live ) It is believed these aircraft will include an F-15 fighter jet, plus Ospreys, Typhoons and a Dakota. it's being shown live on BBC so I will post up a video afterwards hopefully you'll be able to see it. We're going to Sheffield, not too far from us and as veterans we'll get free transport.
Please spare a few moments though for these airmen, they typify everything that is good about warriors.

New details revealed for military flypast over Sheffield to mark Mi Amigo tragedy 
FLY PAST OVER SHEFFIELD - 22ND FEB 2019 - Rotherham MCVC

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Tez...
As a US veteran and having spent 2 temporary assignments at RAF Mildenhall, this is greatly appreciated.

Both my husband and I are ex RAF so I understand totally. Did you go across to the Air Museum at Duxford at all? Large display of American military aircraft, it used to be an American base during the war it includes the Blackbird. Home | American Air Museum in Britain

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both my husband and I are ex RAF so I understand totally. Did you go across to the Air Museum at Duxford at all? Large display of American military aircraft, it used to be an American base during the war it includes the Blackbird. Home | American Air Museum in Britain
I did visit several museums while there but honestly can't say which ones. I was 19 & 20 at the time back in 1974 & 1975 and I was much more interested spending my free time with the young ladies willing to spend time with me.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did visit several museums while there but honestly can't say which ones. I was 19 & 20 at the time back in 1974 & 1975 and I was much more interested spending my free time with the young ladies willing to spend time with me.

You were in the same time as I was! I was in London at that time though working in the Ministry of Defence. Husband was on the Queen's Colour Squadron at RAF Uxbridge.

Well that was emotional, lots of tissues for everyone. Thousands turned up in the park, the USAF band played and millions watched on television! there were also families of the airmen who had come across from the US who were so pleased at the tributes. The flypast was moving, the F-15E Strike Eagles from RAF Lakenheath flew in 'missing man' formation, one of the F-15s had all ten names of the airmen inscribed on it, they flew over the Cambridge American War Cemetery afterwards where three of the crew are buried. The RAF flew Typhoons and a Dakota from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight which flew past first. it was moving but also a celebration of human spirit.
On a slightly different note today is thinking Day for Girl Guides and Girl Scouts all around the world so I went to Sheffield wearing my Guiding uniform with my Veterans badge firmly affixed.
Flypast honours bomber-crash crew