Vertical punching

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Do you wear a mask when you go outside? There are literally MILLIONS of people out there who might see your face!

Just generic personal security and wanting to keep the account and my person separate. also i just suffocated myself making it. (will be DMing it to people)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All reasons why an instructor is needed. It's not possible to read correct form. One must be shown by a competent instructor.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Rat Irrespective of your vertical fist preference (which I share as a bareknuckle guy), I'd recommend finding a good modern boxing instructor and getting the fundamentals of punching, covering, slipping, and all the rest down correctly. Then you can add things like the vertical fist, the Dempsey Drop, the Mendoza guard and whatever else you like. You'll spend a lot less time just becoming a good boxer first. :)

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

@Rat Irrespective of your vertical fist preference (which I share as a bareknuckle guy), I'd recommend finding a good modern boxing instructor and getting the fundamentals of punching, covering, slipping, and all the rest down correctly. Then you can add things like the vertical fist, the Dempsey Drop, the Mendoza guard and whatever else you like. You'll spend a lot less time just becoming a good boxer first. :)

Kind of taking it off from there, what should i look for to introduce kicking to it? If i did modern boxing, i was hoping there was a sanda place near me but i dont think there is. I dont really know what would blend well with boxing other than just generic kickboxing maybe savate. (which isnt near me, plus then i would do quasi bartitsu)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kind of taking it off from there, what should i look for to introduce kicking to it? If i did modern boxing, i was hoping there was a sanda place near me but i dont think there is. I dont really know what would blend well with boxing other than just generic kickboxing maybe savate. (which isnt near me, plus then i would do quasi bartitsu)

Caged muay thai.

Got a family friendly gym as well.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Just worth another addition, the obvious answer is MMA, but i would like a strong stand alone kickboxing system to study.And then a grappling. Preferably to replace the boxing, add kicking, add knees, add elbows, add sweeps, add clinch fighting etc so i don't need to do multiple classes. I would also opt to keep self defence and sport separate. Still planning to try FMA.

I have somewhat considered muay thai, but it just depends how sport like its taught as my end goal is more for self defence. :p (heard that its somewhat rigid in comparison to other styles) So it would need to blend well with basically just maiming the other person as fast as possible. (not just by clubbing their head with your fists/elbows)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just worth another addition, the obvious answer is MMA, but i would like a strong stand alone kickboxing system to study.And then a grappling. Preferably to replace the boxing, add kicking, add knees, add elbows, add sweeps, add clinch fighting etc so i don't need to do multiple classes. I would also opt to keep self defence and sport separate. Still planning to try FMA.

I have somewhat considered muay thai, but it just depends how sport like its taught as my end goal is more for self defence. :p (heard that its somewhat rigid in comparison to other styles) So it would need to blend well with basically just maiming the other person as fast as possible. (not just by clubbing their head with your fists/elbows)
Go with kenpo

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Or anything really. At this point you've missed out on a year of training, trying to find out the right style to train.

Im not even touching kempo with a 20 meter stick with the amount of variety i have seen with it. :p

this is just pre planning anyway. edit: and asking what would be a good thing to look out for as a advancement to legs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im not even touching kempo with a 20 meter stick with the amount of variety i have seen with it. :p

this is just pre planning anyway. edit: and asking what would be a good thing to look out for as a advancement to legs etc.
The solution is go to a school and see where it falls on the variety. Not going to a school because you've heard some of the schools are bad and others are good is just a bad idea.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What do you think the difference would be if you were taught sport or self defense thai?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of people talk about all the training they are going to do, someday. Someday never comes.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

What do you think the difference would be if you were taught sport or self defense thai?

20-40% more groin and eye strikes! :p

But i wouldn't know, i presume its the same. I do think sport might be more rigid and i think there is a combative derivative from it.

(i originally thought you asked what the difference between sport and self defence was, so i wrote a well worded rambling response on it)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

But i wouldn't know, i presume its the same.
That would only be target differences.
Punching the head or punching the hands(gloves) in order to open the lines to the head is still punching.
Kneeing the thigh or liver vs kneeing the groin is still the same mechanics only targeting is different.

I do think sport might be more rigid and i think there is a combative derivative from it.
Sport vs ??? "a combative derivative" what does that mean?
Sport Muay Thai is highly combative.
What one learns and the skills one develops from a combative sport like muay thai can be highly useful in a physical hands on self defensive situation.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

That would only be target differences.
Punching the head or punching the hands(gloves) in order to open the lines to the head is still punching.
Kneeing the thigh or liver vs kneeing the groin is still the same mechanics only targeting is different.

Sport vs ??? "a combative derivative" what does that mean?
Sport Muay Thai is highly combative.
What one learns and the skills one develops from a combative sport like muay thai can be highly useful in a physical hands on self defensive situation.

eye gouging isnt, nor can you do it in their gloves*, nor would you get the ability to wear them if you actually fight.
*the main type i see used, there are many types of glove and hand wear after all
Fair enough a punch only changes striking surface and target, same with most kicks etc.

Its not a Vs proposition, i stated i think there is a combat derivative from muay thai.

if anyone could drudge up some videos for it. Preferably with the need to be fluid and multiple people. And i do mean they are trying to kill the person not "lets go outside". Apart from being being literally just taking Muay thai to self defence, if you mix it with something else it would work as a good fitness tool. (also would stand for correction, but do they cover weapons and using the environment?)

I will happily stand corrected for this. Nor am i downing it fully to clarify that.

(this is definitely going to get another topic made for it. :p)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MMA is an obvious answer. I'd guess there are some gyms where you could put together exactly the progression you're talking about, though I'd recommend leaving the progression up to the guys teaching (they'll know better than you when it's time to add another tool).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But i wouldn't know, i presume its the same. I do think sport might be more rigid and i think there is a combative derivative from it.

(i originally thought you asked what the difference between sport and self defence was, so i wrote a well worded rambling response on it)
Probably more like 5% difference, I'd bet.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was thinking you could probably wing the street stuff if you had to.

Muay Boran?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
eye gouging isnt, nor can you do it in their gloves
Yeah, so why would boxing have no eye gouging rules and mma have a rule about not pointing the fingers toward the opponent's face? That reason would be eye gouging and eye jabs. And both require the combatants to wear gloves.

Latest Discussions