Vertical punching

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 39746

I was thinking you could probably wing the street stuff if you had to.

Muay Boran?

That might be the one.

Also it just seems like habit, if you a brought up with no eye gouging you probably wouldn't do it intentionally. Other than the whole observation skills and pressure testing you in situations self defence places should do. And maybe how to not get arrested and put in prison for excessive force. Doesnt hurt to have somone slap you round the head if you do something wrong in a controlled environment to correct you.

anyway, im willing to give it a go even if it just to learn how to clinch. Plus i like the sound of using the shins more for some kicks as opposed to the foot.

Yeah, so why would boxing have no eye gouging rules and mma have a rule about not pointing the fingers toward the opponent's face? That reason would be eye gouging and eye jabs. And both require the combatants to wear gloves.

Thumbs, at least some designs of boxing gloves have the thumb separate which you could use or you could dry cut their eye with it. (using a sword term but its the best way to describe how you could do it) Also the MMA gloves arent mittens, so you have full use over the fingers anyway, at least for the most part. Train how you fight after all,im not going to be wearing fist pillows if i ever get into a fight with anyone, but i might be wearing gloves with some protective qualities. (like northern ireland gloves)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That might be the one.

Also it just seems like habit, if you a brought up with no eye gouging you probably wouldn't do it intentionally. Other than the whole observation skills and pressure testing you in situations self defence places should do. And maybe how to not get arrested and put in prison for excessive force. Doesnt hurt to have somone slap you round the head if you do something wrong in a controlled environment to correct you.

anyway, im willing to give it a go even if it just to learn how to clinch. Plus i like the sound of using the shins more for some kicks as opposed to the foot.

Honestly you do enough contact you will get all the eye pokes and groin kicks you could want.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thumbs, at least some designs of boxing gloves have the thumb separate which you could use or you could dry cut their eye with it. (using a sword term but its the best way to describe how you could do it) Also the MMA gloves arent mittens, so you have full use over the fingers anyway, at least for the most part. Train how you fight after all,im not going to be wearing fist pillows if i ever get into a fight with anyone, but i might be wearing gloves with some protective qualities. (like northern ireland gloves)

***** mittens.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry about sport vs. street at this point. Some of the scariest people I know are judoka who don't even punch or kick at all. And wrestlers. Jeez they scary.

If you want to be able to as they say "handle yourself", then any combination of wrestling, judo, bjj, or similar paired with boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Savate, or whatever when trained diligently will make you a tough customer.

MMA training is also great.

For self defence, most of it doesn't involve fighting. It involves awareness, de-escalation, and not doing sketchy things in sketchy places with sketchy people. Adding self defense techniques is good, and I would recommend stuff in the lineage of Michael Janich or Kelly McCann, and others here could add to that list.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry about sport vs. street at this point. Some of the scariest people I know are judoka who don't even punch or kick at all. And wrestlers. Jeez they scary.

If you want to be able to as they say "handle yourself", then any combination of wrestling, judo, bjj, or similar paired with boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Savate, or whatever when trained diligently will make you a tough customer.

MMA training is also great.

For self defence, most of it doesn't involve fighting. It involves awareness, de-escalation, and not doing sketchy things in sketchy places with sketchy people. Adding self defense techniques is good, and I would recommend stuff in the lineage of Michael Janich or Kelly McCann, and others here could add to that list.
Imagine getting thrown by a good judoka at full speed on a mat or grass. Then imagine getting up and suggesting that wouldnt work on "the street" (which are normally tar/concrete), because it was learned for competition.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Imagine getting thrown by a good judoka at full speed on a mat or grass. Then imagine getting up and suggesting that wouldnt work on "the street" (which are normally tar/concrete), because it was learned for competition.

I've been thrown by good judoka on mats many, many times, because I am only a mediocre judoka. Landing full force on the padded dojo floor has stunned me on occasion. On concrete I wouldn't have gotten back up at all!

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

I might just start and see where ever it takes me to.

I will keep a eye out for those self defence things and styles which blend better together though. (and meet my interests better)

I honestly think the more non physical defence self programs would work better for myself anyway given i can wing a punch decently enough if i need to and its not that uncommon to find something to do in terms of combat sport or martial art now days.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is more advice for myself but any compilation of advice can be used as others.

Anyway we all know i like my punching with a vertical fist, namely based off pugilism rather than other styles but the main difficulty i have ran into is, how do i aim my fist, there are some different ways to aim your fist to hit with varying parts.

Other than that having difficulty with relevant power generation theory other than rotate hips. Its not that bad as im pretty sure i can generate a lot of force as is, but its the fine details and the lack of the rotation of the arm cuts some of the power down.

I will be breaking out one of the books i brought on pugilism at some stage to review. Which is self defence for gentlemen and ladies by col thomas hoyer monstery. And reviwing some channels to look for it and am intrested in further sources.

The fist i am trying to do to is just a plain straight fist, as it stands where would be a good place to aim for and what finger would be the best to aim with while doing it has eluded me and finer points of power generation have also (which is namely a inexperience thing due to not getting into advanced methods in the styles i have done)

So with that i leave the questions open and my jumbled way of asking it here. :p

Addendum
: Just quickly did a test on my hand and aiming with the middle finger seems like it would induce a entire fist punch, also i have merged a few different ways of doing by mistake if i dont other wise specify, i believe Monstery details a different punch mainly to the one(s) i have been practicing(which is just a plain vertical fist)

Second Addendum:
Instruction in pugilism is non existent near me so a teacher is out of the question and other styles start with a horizontal first to which i dont wish to learn correctly.

Third addendum:
For some pad sessions i have mainly punched with a vertical fist and felt no over pain or daage to my hand the defacto way(s) i did it. (granted its punching pads and lightish contact not full force on a skull or torso)

Sources used mainly by me
: Book detailed above by Col Thomas Hoyer Monstery, a channel on English martial arts called english martial arts and a few diffent HEMA channels on youtube. (namely english martial arts for visual on punch i wish to do)

I can't quite say for sure as I don't have too much experience with vertical punching. However, I believe attempting to hit the target by aiming with the index knuckle will allow you to punch correct, in other words, with the index and middle knuckle, as you will be twisting your fist slightly downwards if you attempt to aim like this. Like I said though, take this with a grain of salt.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is more advice for myself but any compilation of advice can be used as others.

Anyway we all know i like my punching with a vertical fist, namely based off pugilism rather than other styles but the main difficulty i have ran into is, how do i aim my fist, there are some different ways to aim your fist to hit with varying parts.

Other than that having difficulty with relevant power generation theory other than rotate hips. Its not that bad as im pretty sure i can generate a lot of force as is, but its the fine details and the lack of the rotation of the arm cuts some of the power down.

I will be breaking out one of the books i brought on pugilism at some stage to review. Which is self defence for gentlemen and ladies by col thomas hoyer monstery. And reviwing some channels to look for it and am intrested in further sources.

The fist i am trying to do to is just a plain straight fist, as it stands where would be a good place to aim for and what finger would be the best to aim with while doing it has eluded me and finer points of power generation have also (which is namely a inexperience thing due to not getting into advanced methods in the styles i have done)

So with that i leave the questions open and my jumbled way of asking it here. [emoji14]

Addendum
: Just quickly did a test on my hand and aiming with the middle finger seems like it would induce a entire fist punch, also i have merged a few different ways of doing by mistake if i dont other wise specify, i believe Monstery details a different punch mainly to the one(s) i have been practicing(which is just a plain vertical fist)

Second Addendum:
Instruction in pugilism is non existent near me so a teacher is out of the question and other styles start with a horizontal first to which i dont wish to learn correctly.

Third addendum:
For some pad sessions i have mainly punched with a vertical fist and felt no over pain or daage to my hand the defacto way(s) i did it. (granted its punching pads and lightish contact not full force on a skull or torso)

Sources used mainly by me
: Book detailed above by Col Thomas Hoyer Monstery, a channel on English martial arts called english martial arts and a few diffent HEMA channels on youtube. (namely english martial arts for visual on punch i wish to do)
Research Jack Dempsey, Mike Donovan and Marshall Stillman for some good books that can be acquired online thru PDF or purchased on eBay. Of course there's the Kung Fu systems that would teach how to throw a vertical fist properly as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk