Vertical punching

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Rat, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

That might be the one.

Also it just seems like habit, if you a brought up with no eye gouging you probably wouldn't do it intentionally. Other than the whole observation skills and pressure testing you in situations self defence places should do. And maybe how to not get arrested and put in prison for excessive force. Doesnt hurt to have somone slap you round the head if you do something wrong in a controlled environment to correct you.

anyway, im willing to give it a go even if it just to learn how to clinch. Plus i like the sound of using the shins more for some kicks as opposed to the foot.

Thumbs, at least some designs of boxing gloves have the thumb separate which you could use or you could dry cut their eye with it. (using a sword term but its the best way to describe how you could do it) Also the MMA gloves arent mittens, so you have full use over the fingers anyway, at least for the most part. Train how you fight after all,im not going to be wearing fist pillows if i ever get into a fight with anyone, but i might be wearing gloves with some protective qualities. (like northern ireland gloves)

2. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Honestly you do enough contact you will get all the eye pokes and groin kicks you could want.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

***** mittens.

4. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    And deliver far more than you intend to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Master Black Belt

Don't worry about sport vs. street at this point. Some of the scariest people I know are judoka who don't even punch or kick at all. And wrestlers. Jeez they scary.

If you want to be able to as they say "handle yourself", then any combination of wrestling, judo, bjj, or similar paired with boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Savate, or whatever when trained diligently will make you a tough customer.

MMA training is also great.

For self defence, most of it doesn't involve fighting. It involves awareness, de-escalation, and not doing sketchy things in sketchy places with sketchy people. Adding self defense techniques is good, and I would recommend stuff in the lineage of Michael Janich or Kelly McCann, and others here could add to that list.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

Imagine getting thrown by a good judoka at full speed on a mat or grass. Then imagine getting up and suggesting that wouldnt work on "the street" (which are normally tar/concrete), because it was learned for competition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Master Black Belt

I've been thrown by good judoka on mats many, many times, because I am only a mediocre judoka. Landing full force on the padded dojo floor has stunned me on occasion. On concrete I wouldn't have gotten back up at all!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

I might just start and see where ever it takes me to.

I will keep a eye out for those self defence things and styles which blend better together though. (and meet my interests better)

I honestly think the more non physical defence self programs would work better for myself anyway given i can wing a punch decently enough if i need to and its not that uncommon to find something to do in terms of combat sport or martial art now days.

9. Ivan

Ivan Green Belt

I can't quite say for sure as I don't have too much experience with vertical punching. However, I believe attempting to hit the target by aiming with the index knuckle will allow you to punch correct, in other words, with the index and middle knuckle, as you will be twisting your fist slightly downwards if you attempt to aim like this. Like I said though, take this with a grain of salt.

10. ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger Brown Belt

Research Jack Dempsey, Mike Donovan and Marshall Stillman for some good books that can be acquired online thru PDF or purchased on eBay. Of course there's the Kung Fu systems that would teach how to throw a vertical fist properly as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk123