&(# Landlords~

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok.. I'm venting.. When Seig and I rented this house a year ago June, it was a 'stopping point' til we built our new house.. which we are going to be starting on in a couple weeks.. Yay~! Meanwhile, the landlord has been around maybe 4 times.. all times we've called him to fix something.. *house is over 150 yrs old and the day we moved in was the day the LL closed on it* Now, he let us know back in Dec, he was going to be working on the house, from totally rewiring to finishing the attic into a bedroom, and some other stuff.. wanted to be finished by april, Nada word from him.. til a week and half ago. He calls up saying he's going to refinance it, and an appraiser would be here *today* but first he wanted to get some work done.. So last Saturday he showed up with his helper.. they fiddled around for 8 hours, clearing out some brush, trimming trees, and lugged up some drywall & supplies into the attic..Seig and I were gone that day.. They were coming back next day.. but never called.. never showed.. til yesterday.. *again appraiser due today* Appraiser called.. said.. can we come Monday 10 Am.. sure.. why not.. *shrugs* Yesterday the helper spent from 9 am til 7 pm outside .. working on ??? Course with Seig being a Daysleeper.. we said NOPE not gonna work in the attic right over his head during the week.. Now they are using our electricity and water all day.. Doing Gawd knows what outside.. and coming into the attic for stuff.. *twitch* I'm so OVER LANDLORDS~! Oh and He sent another lease with his helper for us to sign.. He knows we are building, and we are going to be Outta here by March.. and he's got the lease dated ending the end of April next year.. Plus the water etc is in his name.. and he waits til the last minute to call and tell us .. oh btw.. I just got a notice the water will be shut off if it's not paid within the next 4 days... *DOUBLE TWITCH*
Ok.. I don't expect anything.. I'm just totally PO'd..
:soapbox:

~Me

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D Thanks Flatlander~!
I wanna go take my shower.. but the damnable worms outside said.. we may need to come back in and get more stuff out of the attic.. and now they are scraping the wall right <-------------there.. arghhhhhh.. Common sense would dictate wiring pre drywall .. and I hear them outside talking bout just slapping the drywall up in the attic.. *Ancient horsehair plaster that has lathe showing through in areas of the attic* Cloth flour bags holding some of wood together.. Yanno.. I just don't care how he cobbles the place up.. but we do have to stay here another 8 months.. and I would think going to 220V electricity would be #1 on the list.. I have to turn off the coffee maker if I want to use the Microwave.. otherwise everything blows.. *twitches more* I am gonna need a horse sedative *snorts*

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
:D Thanks Flatlander~!
I am gonna need a horse sedative *snorts*
Tess give 'em one a these...:whip:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess, most leases can be terminated with a simple 30 day notice from either party without any problems. It may actually work in your favor if somethings delays ya'll getting into the new place to have a lease so he can't toss ya out without notice. As for the construction work going on at the last minute, I know how you feel. I've been doing a roofing job for my landlord during the days for the last week or so after driving all night long. He tells me today that the inspector is coming on monday to check things out. We have AT LEAST two more days to finish the roof and then other work to do on the place on the inside. I have to test for my next belt level on saturday morning so guess who's not working on saturday. Lot's of luck, keep the boot primed for the construction crew and just BREATHE.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I found out the hard way that, for some reason, my water was shut off today at my apartment (it's part of the rent, the landlord pays it) -no shower, no washing my face in the morning! Yay!

My own mini-vent. I'm feeling your pain, KT. Hopefully they will be out of your hair soon.

:xwing: For you, until then.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most states have Landlord/Tenant legislation that is designed to protect the tenants from unscrupulous landlords. I would check your phone book for such a thing or stop by city hall and make an inquiry.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Uhh, you guys better move... sending help over your way ... this is to your numbskull LL
:apv: :tank: :armed: :biggun: :machgunr: :shooter: :lasma: :enfo: :snipe: :shock:

LANDLORD
:iws:

hope that helps (mentally anyway.... :rolleyes: )

M

Mark Weiser

West Virginia Landlord Tenant Law

37-6-5. Notice to terminate tenancy.
A tenancy from year to year may be terminated by either party giving notice in writing to the other, at least three months prior to the end of any year, of his intention to terminate the same. A periodic tenancy, in which the period is less than one year, may be terminated by like notice, or by notice for one full period before the end of any period. When such notice is to the tenant, it may be served upon him, or upon anyone holding under him the leased premises, or any part thereof. When it is by the tenant, it may be served upon anyone who at the time owns the premises in whole or in part, or the agent of such owner, or according to the common law. This section shall not apply where, by special agreement, some other period of notice is fixed, or no notice is to be given; nor shall notice be necessary from or to a tenant whose term is to end at a certain time.

§37-6-28. Destruction of buildings; abatement of rent.
  • Where buildings or other structures upon leased premises, not owned by the tenant or removable by him, are destroyed by fire or otherwise, in whole or in part, without fault or negligence on the part of the tenant, there shall be, unless the lease otherwise provides, a reasonable reduction of the rent for such time as may elapse until there be placed again upon the premises buildings, or other structures, of as much value to the tenant for his purposes as those destroyed, and unless the landlord shall rebuild or replace such structures as soon as he can reasonably do so, the tenant may, after the expiration of such reasonable time, surrender the possession of the premises and be relieved of all further liability for rent, after the time of such surrender.

§37-6-30. Landlord to deliver premises; duty to maintain premises in fit and habitable condition.
  • With respect to residential property:
    • (a) A landlord shall:
      (1) At the commencement of a tenancy, deliver the dwelling unit and surrounding premises in a fit and habitable condition, and shall thereafter maintain the leased property in such condition; and
      (2) Maintain the leased property in a condition that meets requirements of applicable health, safety, fire and housing codes, unless the failure to meet those requirements is the fault of the tenant, a member of his family or other person on the premises with his consent; and
      (3) In multiple housing units, keep clean, safe and in repair all common areas of the premises remaining under his control that are maintained for the use and benefit of his tenants; and
      (4) Make all repairs necessary to keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition, unless said repairs were necessitated primarily by a lack of reasonable care by the tenant, a member of his family or other person on the premises with his consent; and
      (5) Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him by written or oral agreement or by law; and

Just some things to look over and see if this may help you.

Sincerely,

Mark E. Weiser

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some good information.

Good luck with building the new house, I have spent most weekends since early may working on the cottage, and don't envy the work you have to do.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tess and Seig,

It's really too bad you're having such an awful experience with your landlord. IMHO, you should be allowed to enjoy living in 'that old house', as there are so few remaining.
I currently work in a 100+ year old mansion which has (sort of) been converted to modern use, and have worked in 100+ year old buildings for the past eleven or so years. The charm does wear thin after too cold a winter, too hot a summer (too thin walls and glass in the windows which is useless but pretty.) And renovations take forever if you're doing them as restorations.
Sounds like your landlord doesn't know his donkey from his arm joint.:rolleyes: Too bad -- I hope it all works out for you. Your new house will be your reward for putting up with this. :) :asian: KT

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking Pacific Heights...remember that crazy movie?...be the tenants from Hell!...release the roaches!:uhyeah:

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks all~!!!

The saga continues....

Let's see.. over the weekend 2 of the helpers were here supposedly putting up drywall in the attic.. oh not allowed to call it the attic anymore.. it's the 4th bedroom.. oh yeah and the LL brought in a new fuse box he installed.. the original was 100 amp ~!! Now he did NOT rewire anything.. just for looks was the box installed (appraiser due Monday -Today) The drywall .. *coughs* one piece was installed over the weekend.. Now this is a gorgeous old brick house.. and the helpers painted the LEAD building, as Seig said. just left Lead paint everywhere.. they painted the window trim *exterior* without Scraping.. this house was owned by a 86 yo woman who obviously hadn't done much in the last 50 yrs~! So now the exterior doors and windows look like crap and they painted on the Brick walls.. *so would fire them if they worked for us~!!* Today was the appraisers time at 10 AM.. house was clean and ready for showing.. 4th bedroom -1 piece of drywall up.. no wiring.. nada.. and after Seig and I spent the weekend getting all ready.. Landlord shows up this morning saying. oh btw.. I will have to reschedule the appraiser....................................................................................................................................

*I have a headache*

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would present the landlord with he Landlord/Tennant Laws for your area, and let him know thatthe way he is doing things are not permissable and will no longer be tolerated. He has to have just cause to evict you, and he has to be able to prove it.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welllll... Yesterday was the final workday.. *rolling eyes* the appraiser arrived at 3:30 PM sharp.. the workidiots finished up in the attic at 3:27 PM.. *snorts*
Appraiser did his thing.. and I mentioned the work just finished in the attic *bedroom* he replied.. well I want a million dollars but that's not gonna happen.. It's not going to be classified as a bedroom either.. the ceiling heights got to be at least 5' *gabled roof* and it's too far from the bathroom I'm all *chuckles.. snorts and smirks* He shook his head and then the Landlord showed up.. they argued but the appraiser wouldn't back done.. it's not a bedroom and 2 weeks of work was in vain.. Nneeeners Mr Landlord..
Ok.. I'm not a nice person :D

Peace and quiet.. ahhhhhhhhhh

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey i don't remember having any problems with the ceiling height in the attic teehee...but then again i've been called a midget and dwarf a couple of times within the last week :rolleyes: