Latest ad that’s got me laughing unintentionally

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I posted about this in a thread that drifted off but can’t remember which one. It’s not like very many do that :) Several people said they didn’t see it, so here it is. Interesting photo used for BJJ...
A88FBB24-80CE-402B-8EBE-4B5B5DAB2043.png

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, they've let some ad generator put a stock "martial arts" photo in. I'd just like to point out that his belt knot bothers me. I know some places actually tie it that way, but to my eyes, it's "wrong". Now I need more coffee.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, they've let some ad generator put a stock "martial arts" photo in. I'd just like to point out that his belt knot bothers me. I know some places actually tie it that way, but to my eyes, it's "wrong". Now I need more coffee.
The knot bothers me too.

The head of my former organization is a Vietnam vet. He was pretty particular about how we wore our uniform, belt included. He came to our dojo one night to test us for rank and went on a tirade. It was mainly the kids who tested before us, but it carried over to us. The next morning my sensei gets a fax - updated white belt syllabus. The first requirement, in bold letters: how to tie your belt. The second requirement in bold letters: uniform patches properly affixed and uniform worn correctly. I guess there were two kids with kanji patches that were upside down.

It was a fun test. Or at least it was if you enjoy training in a bare knuckle system with a pissed off Vietnam vet trying to make an example out of your dojo during the test.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The knot bothers me too.

The head of my former organization is a Vietnam vet. He was pretty particular about how we wore our uniform, belt included. He came to our dojo one night to test us for rank and went on a tirade. It was mainly the kids who tested before us, but it carried over to us. The next morning my sensei gets a fax - updated white belt syllabus. The first requirement, in bold letters: how to tie your belt. The second requirement in bold letters: uniform patches properly affixed and uniform worn correctly. I guess there were two kids with kanji patches that were upside down.

It was a fun test. Or at least it was if you enjoy training in a bare knuckle system with a pissed off Vietnam vet trying to make an example out of your dojo during the test.
At my primary instructor's school (and all the other NGA schools I know well enough to comment on), part of qualifying for any pre-adult yellow belt (first earned rank - some schools have multiple youth curricula, for different age groups) includes both putting on the uniform (including the belt) correctly and folding it correctly before leaving. I think my first instructor used to also require that adults showed him a properly folded uniform before they could test for yellow.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted about this in a thread that drifted off but can’t remember which one. It’s not like very many do that :) Several people said they didn’t see it, so here it is. Interesting photo used for BJJ...
View attachment 22090

You posted a screen shot that occurred at 6:22 am at 5:31 am.....have we just enter the twighlight zone?

D

Deleted member 39746

Bruce lee did BJJ before it was cool, WAKE UP SHEEPELE!

Latest Discussions