Trying to find combos for my skill training

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Traditional martial arts that care more about preserving the past will probably always be historians. Which is Ironic since the natural path that Traditional Martial Arts was to develop and improve. Not sure why so many have forgotten that. Adding a round house kick to XingYi won't disqualify it from being XingYi.
I think a big part of it is that we now live in an era (at least in the US and other developed nations), where most of us do not need to use our training to defend our lives on a regular basis, or even at all. So for many people, these have become an artifact from the past, to be preserved. This is not the same as being a living method that is meant to be used and functional.

The thing is, it can be both. These older methods are still with us because they have a history of being effective so they are still valuable and relevant today for what they are, as historical methods. But the individual still needs to make it effective for himself, and needs to feel unrestrained to be able to do so.

I think there is a tendency to lose sight of that, and view the system as an artifact to be put on a shelf, only taken down and polished now and again. The form becomes the embodiment of the artifact, to be preserved and never changed. The form becomes the system, because that is ultimately what someone learned and “doing kung fu” comes to mean doing the form, thoughtlessly, in the same way that one might show off an antique silver sugarbowl in a display case. It is just to be looked at, never used.

Maybe I need to coin that term: “sugarbowl kung fu”.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think a big part of it is that we now live in an era (at least in the US and other developed nations), where most of us do not need to use our training to defend our lives on a regular basis, or even at all. So for many people, these have become an artifact from the past, to be preserved. This is not the same as being a living method that is meant to be used and functional.

The thing is, it can be both. These older methods are still with us because they have a history of being effective so they are still valuable and relevant today for what they are, as historical methods. But the individual still needs to make it effective for himself, and needs to feel unrestrained to be able to do so.

I think there is a tendency to lose sight of that, and view the system as an artifact to be put on a shelf, only taken down and polished now and again. The form becomes the embodiment of the artifact, to be preserved and never changed. The form becomes the system, because that is ultimately what someone learned and “doing kung fu” comes to mean doing the form, thoughtlessly, in the same way that one might show off an antique silver sugarbowl in a display case. It is just to be looked at, never used.

Maybe I need to coin that term: “sugarbowl kung fu”.
That's a really good way of describing it. That sounds like something that should be put in a book along with "sugarbowl kung fu." Someone needs to write a book on the Analysis of Traditional Martial Arts in 2021. I'm curious to see how things have changed in various systems since MMA and the Kung Fu vs MMA embarrassment.

I want to know if the older generation wants to head into the direction of Functional Focus or if it's the younger generation who wants to focus more on Function.. When I was looking for Xing Yi kicks. I came across on practitioner who was training side kicks and round house kicks. His statement was something like. Xing Yi teaches to step on opponents but side kicks and round house kicks have proven to be effective kicks so the kicks are trained in addition to .

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The form becomes the system, ...
A: The long fist system doesn't have hip throw.
B: It's not in any long fist form, but it exists in the long fist basic training.

I just don't agree with B's argument. If hip throw is so important for long fist system, why didn't the long fist founder added it into the long fist forms that he had created?

IMO, we may give the long fist system founder more credit than he truly deserved.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are hip throws an the long fist system. My guess would bee that you a set idea of what hip throws look like and you are trying to see the exact same thing in a long fist system.

I train in a long fist system and the hip throws are done differently. Instead of doing hip throws with legs close to each other. The hip throws that I do in Jow Ga uses a wider stance. The mechanics of the hip throw can be found in the form. In my opinion I think they are much easier to set up as well. But the hip throw is there.

The reason I'm so sure of this is because I can use the mechanics of a long fist punch to accomplish the throw. I can hit or throw with the same long fist technique.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
B: It's not in any long fist form, but it exists in the long fist basic training.

I just don't agree with B's argument. If hip throw is so important for long fist system, why didn't the long fist founder added it into the long fist forms tha
t he had created?

IMO, we may give the long fist system founder more credit than he truly deserved.
You are looking at the curriculum, the formalized material, as a fence to keep you restrained. You need to start seeing it as a framework, from which to spring.

Latest Discussions