No style

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no idea what's going on here, I'm quite sure I'm not that drunk - yet...

@drop bear brings reason to a thread that I thought was an utterly lost cause.

Seriously dude, like wtf :D

Yeah sorry.

Aikido sucks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do we agree that the section "e" can be called as "no style"?

joint-set.jpg
I would say I see the opposite. It is the aggregate of all three so it is a blend of styles. More style, not less.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- If one MA system doesn't have side kick and roundhouse kick, is that normal, or is that abnormal?
- If you train that style, would you like to know how to do side kick and roundhouse kick?

It's unusual for a system that has kicks, but "abnormal" and "normal" seem to imply a judgment. I'm not sure one is necessary. If the system works without them, then it's fine to not have them. Me? I'd like to have those kicks, even if they weren't part of the style I trained in.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say I see the opposite. It is the aggregate of all three so it is a blend of styles. More style, not less.

I agree in part, I would say, a commonality of the 3 styles, for example techniques that can be found in Daito ryu, Aikido, Hapkido, yes it would be the blending element that someone like JKD would assimilate into THEIR style, so Kung fu Wang would be correct in saying E= all styles, all styles =no style except it would be their own style Imo. Hope that came out as I meant.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can find a piece of paper and write down all the

1. punch - jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, hammer fist, side punch, ...,
2. kick - front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, back kick, hook kick, spin hook kick, inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick, tornado kick, jump front kick, ...,
3. footwork,
4. block,
5. lock,
6. throw,
7. ground game,
8. ...

After that, the term "style" will have no meaning to you. Your thought?

We learn styles, but then everyone has his own style or “no style”. In competition, there are limitations but every individual is still different.

Latest Discussions