Training On My Own Now

Discussion in 'Tang Soo Do' started by Runs With Fire, Nov 2, 2016.

1. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Your training focus is not in alignment with their teaching focus and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm always running my mouth about the importance of training martial arts based on the purpose in which it is to be used. Your focus seems to be more aligned with self-defense or competitive sparring (Lei Tai or continuous sparring). If there is another school that has that focus then you can just change schools. Changing schools will allow you to build on your existing techniques. If there isn't another school then you would need to find one that teaches with the focus of self-defense and competitive sparring.

Just from my own experience in my style. Training Jow Ga to do the forms correctly is not the same as training Jow Ga for self-defense. A brand new world opens up when a student trains with the focus of self-defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I'm not sure what that has to do with my comment. My point was that TSD can be taught with a practical approach and intent. In that case, there's no reason BJJ's practicality would be much of a surprise.