Taking the Martial out of the Art.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it would help if you realized there are more definitions for the term, than honoring war heroes.
sean

That was an example of how the word respect is used here, as I said we are talking at cross purposes, we probably mean the same thing but use different terms which mean different things to us. We'll continue to go around in circles I think.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We have British programming here as well, and observed plenty of 'fawning' exhibited in the guise of respect. But I've enough experience in life to know that one doesn't base an understanding of someone's culture on a TV show.

I would suggest it's a matter of semantics, and levels of sensitivity are dependant on education, experience and ego (or lack of).

I've often heard on American programmes someone in a paddy shouting 'you've disrespected (more likely 'dissed') me', that's not how we see it, we don't use the word respect in that context. We are talking at cross purposes here I'm afraid.

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It would probably be better if we let this thread get back on topic. We obivously have a difference in what the word "respect" means and how would would/should run schools.

So just let it go.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've often heard on American programmes someone in a paddy shouting 'you've disrespected (more likely 'dissed') me', that's not how we see it, we don't use the word respect in that context. We are talking at cross purposes here I'm afraid.
Ok, a lesson in American English: As children we are taught to respect the laws and customs of our country or any country we visit. Translation: do what is expected of you....
Now stop correcting us; because, the word is bigger than you are trying to make it.
Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, a lesson in American English: As children we are taught to respect the laws and customs of our country or any country we visit. Translation: do what is expected of you....
Now stop correcting us; because, the word is bigger than you are trying to make it.
Sean

And a lesson in American politics too, gang up and lets push someone out who's opinion is different even when they explain that they don't understand your point of view and try to explain their point of view. Very 'respectuful' indeed. Oh well I know when I'm not wanted, happy press ups people roflmao.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh...please don't go.

What and receive even more nasty comment on my rep, oh I don't think so. Some people don't play fair, I do but I play hard too.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And a lesson in American politics too, gang up and lets push someone out who's opinion is different even when they explain that they don't understand your point of view and try to explain their point of view. Very 'respectuful' indeed. Oh well I know when I'm not wanted, happy press ups people roflmao.
All I am asking is that you grab a dictionary. Its in English. And I, for one, like you. I think you are way off, and I want to help sometimes, that's all.
Sean

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"You have some odd ideas about people", Tez. :)

I don't see any game here, only folks trying to hash out the semantics of something in order to get back to the original post. Being passive aggressive as it suits you isn't really playing fair.

What and receive even more nasty comment on my rep, oh I don't think so. Some people don't play fair, I do but I play hard too.

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How the heck did you get to the point where you are attacking our country? What is wrong with you?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody...

Let's back off a bit, OK? I don't think anyone here was trying to be insulting or disrespectful. There are a lot of different training environments; some are stricter than others, some are more military than others. Possibly folks in the real military, whether in the US or England, don't find it necessary to imitate a drill instructor and recruits...

If the shots keep up -- the mod hat goes on, and nobody really wants that...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just a couple of comments on the tangent. I'm going to have to take some time to go back and read through the last several posts more carefully, because I'm frankly not too sure what happened.

On respect. First, I believe that there is an important distinction between respecting someone and treating someone with respect (or respectfully). Whether or not I respect you comes from you. It's something that stems from your character and your behavior and is unique to you. In a room full of people, I can hold each person in greater or lesser esteem based upon my personal interactions with them.

How I treat people and how I react to rules stems entirely from me. I may not like a rule, but it's up to me to respect it. I may not like you or respect you, but it's entirely up to me whether or not I treat you with respect. I may not like a person, but if he and I have an appointment and I am late, I am being disrespectful whether or not I respect him.

This isn't an American usage of the word. I'm pretty sure that this is common to any English speaking country.
So, in a class where someone breaks a rule and is expected to do pushups, I have no problem with it. It falls into the respect for the rules, respect for the culture of the school and respect for (in some cases) the time and attention of the other students in the class.

We have a rule at our school. If you show up late for class, you do ropes: one rep per minute you're late.

In the school, however, respect for each other is much more organic and individual. I respect my coach because he is knowledgeable, skilled and an all around decent guy, for example.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody...

Let's back off a bit, OK? I don't think anyone here was trying to be insulting or disrespectful. There are a lot of different training environments; some are stricter than others, some are more military than others. Possibly folks in the real military, whether in the US or England, don't find it necessary to imitate a drill instructor and recruits...

If the shots keep up -- the mod hat goes on, and nobody really wants that...

We are a military club, our civilian students take their behaviour from our military students. Respect means to us exactly what I said it does. I said that was what it meant to us, not you, not anyone else ... to us. I used war heroes as an example because that's who I train with. I said we were talking at cross purposes and attempted to find common ground.

Kaygee, if you read the comments to me you will find I was being lectured on the American 'way' so don't have a go at me, your misconstruing my comments started this argument in the first place.

Anyway, enough already.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are a military club, our civilian students take their behaviour from our military students. Respect means to us exactly what I said it does. I said that was what it meant to us, not you, not anyone else ... to us. I used war heroes as an example because that's who I train with. I said we were talking at cross purposes and attempted to find common ground.

Kaygee, if you read the comments to me you will find I was being lectured on the American 'way' so don't have a go at me, your misconstruing my comments started this argument in the first place.

Anyway, enough already.
I'm almost positive, English people understand the term, respect, to mean, "adhere to" when put in that context. This isn't a lecture. Its a word you can look up.
Sean

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Anyway, enough already.

No reason to keep bringing this stuff up man. The minute you responded to my original post in the negative manner that you did, my inbox filled up with people warning me about you and your trolling ways. So at this point, it is expected, and nothing you say has any credibility to me.

But we should part ways in peace....it is the Tang Soo Do way!
Tang Soo!

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Been thinking more on the 'respect', as it might apply to the type of martial arts training I've been exposed to (limited) and musing about the whole 'martial' aspect. Being primarily interested in kobudo, I don't have a problem with the 'east-west' thing for my training. (It should be obvious, but in case it isn't, this implies that I understand others have different paths.)

I brought up 'rei' before, and thought this link might be useful to rounding out the context.

http://www.umich.edu/~umkendo/kendo.html

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the record, Tez is not considered a troll on this site by it's staff or owner. Tez brings a British Military perspective, which is often poorly grasped by American's. If your inbox is filling up with warnings about any long time member, you might want to pause and research why someone might be saying that. It's often more "I got into an argument with them in another thread" that real trolling. Real trolls tend to last less than 6 months, not 6+ years. Every member brings something to the table here. Regarding Tez, while I have not agreed with her on every subject, I will state publicly that her participation on this site is welcome and appreciated.

As is the participation of all of our members who act within our rules.

Which all involved might wish to review before things get uglier.
K?

Danke.

:asian:

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For people that are so hung up on "respect", a lot of people here have been openly disrespectful and rude to a valued member here and I believe a TSD Dan holder (or is that granfire I'm thinking of?)

Respect is earned, not given. You're right to expect courtesy from potential students but if your self-confidence is so easily damaged maybe the martial arts are not for you. I suspect a lot of "respect" and "discipline" in the martial arts today is used to prop up egos rather than build character or teach more effectively.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No reason to keep bringing this stuff up man. The minute you responded to my original post in the negative manner that you did, my inbox filled up with people warning me about you and your trolling ways. So at this point, it is expected, and nothing you say has any credibility to me.

But we should part ways in peace....it is the Tang Soo Do way!
Tang Soo!

So informing you about Iain Abernethy was trolling then. Asking you questions was trolling too? You saw my post as negative you also got sarcastic about the members here not I. I have enjoy what they have to say even when they disagree with me, in fact espeically when they disagree with me, I wouldn't stay here if I didn't. Discussions get heated here, martial arts people are passionate about what they do.

You cannot make a comment then not expect me to answer then say why are you bringing this up, doesn't work like that. Oh and please don't call me man :)

Bob thank you very much I appreciate it XX

Latest Discussions