Competition Class for Kids

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My daughter has fallen in love with taekwondo. She goes to class about 3 times a day, 5-6 days a week. She’s really good for a young kid.

Her school doesn’t offer any sort of competition style sparring only more self defense for higher belts and mostly for older kids. She is considering competing in sparring but she is young. Is it best to start her now with a serious school? She can stay with her current school that she loves and join the competition school. I’m assuming it’s best to get her started young but I am concerned about the sport and potential head kicks as kids get older.

We are very new to this and didn’t really think she’d fall in love like this!

Any advice you can offer?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughter has fallen in love with taekwondo. She goes to class about 3 times a day, 5-6 days a week. She’s really good for a young kid.

Her school doesn’t offer any sort of competition style sparring only more self defense for higher belts and mostly for older kids. She is considering competing in sparring but she is young. Is it best to start her now with a serious school? She can stay with her current school that she loves and join the competition school. I’m assuming it’s best to get her started young but I am concerned about the sport and potential head kicks as kids get older.

My son has been competing since he was 5.

Head contact is typically light so it's not that big of a concern.

IMO I would put her at one school....2 different school might be confusing for her.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

It should be about what she wants to do. She's a kid it's got to be fun. Honestly 3 classes a day 5-6 days a week seems a lot even for adults...and as for head shots it's a risk no point lying about it. Even with rules in place accidents happen

OP
K

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My son has been competing since he was 5.

Head contact is typically light so it's not that big of a concern.

IMO I would put her at one school....2 different school might be confusing for her.

She loves her current school and doesn’t want to leave. I’ve told her if she competes, she needs to learn the right way.

OP
K

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It should be about what she wants to do. She's a kid it's got to be fun. Honestly 3 classes a day 5-6 days a week seems a lot even for adults...and as for head shots it's a risk no point lying about it. Even with rules in place accidents happen

I completely agree. She begs to go...all of the time. Her current school has her help teach a lot of people because she knows and has memorized all of the forms, sparring and kicking combinations. She seriously loves taekwondo. It is her life. I’ve asked if she really wants taekwondo to be her childhood and her response was “why wouldn’t I?” We want to support her as much as possible. I don’t want to be the one keeping her from something she truly loves. She does other activities, but this is her passion.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
She loves her current school and doesn’t want to leave. I’ve told her if she competes, she needs to learn the right way.

Then stick with that school. Maybe her competing will get others in her school interested.

You can get tips and strategy from people at tourneys and seminars maybe even spring for a a few private lessons.

She will learn to compete by competing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Especially if she loves her school, let her compete a bit before she switches. Her attitude could swing either way once she starts competing (from "competing's boring" to "help me get to the olympics, ma/pa") or it could stay exactly as it is right now.

OP
K

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Then stick with that school. Maybe her competing will get others in her school interested.

You can get tips and strategy from people at tourneys and seminars maybe even spring for a a few private lessons.

I’d love to, but she wouldn’t have a coach if she competed. They said they would try to help her, but with only one kid interested it would be difficult to promise to help. I understand it’s their business model. The other school does competition only so they don’t continue to work on forms, etc.
How old is she and what belt is she?

I would but her school sent a couple others to compete and they lost bad. I’m concerned about her going in and having no training at all. Her school trained the kids for one week before the competition and that was it. Ugh! This is so difficult.

OP
K

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How old is she and what belt is she?
She’s 7. A Deputy belt. Which yes, she’s advancing quickly but probably not as fast as some kids considering the amount of time she puts in. Yes lots of kids getting to black belts which is a different topic, but we started before we knew any of this.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
would but her school sent a couple others to compete and they lost bad. I’m concerned about her going in and having no training at all. Her school trained the kids for one week before the competition and that was it. Ugh! This is so difficult

Were they excommunicated from the art of Taekwondo after the loss?

Let her enjoy learning tkd where she enjoys it.

Let her go and compete and let her learn Dont worry about winning. You and her will learn strategies and figure out what works for her as you go. Winning will come.

OP
K

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Were they excommunicated from the art of Taekwondo after the loss?

Let her enjoy learning tkd where she enjoys it.

Let her go and compete and let her learn Dont worry about winning. You and her will learn strategies and figure out what works for her as you go. Winning will come.

It’s not about winning. I guess I shouldn’t have said it like that, it’s more about not being trained properly or her getting hurt because of it. That is my concern. We did find another possible place that she likes and can stay at her school. She did compete in poomsae and says it’s boring.

And, most of all if she goes to competitions through her current school, she would not have a coach there. They said they can’t guarantee somebody would be there because they have to teach classes. I was told I could coach her. She asked how I could do it when I’m a lower belt.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I completely agree. She begs to go...all of the time. Her current school has her help teach a lot of people because she knows and has memorized all of the forms, sparring and kicking combinations. She seriously loves taekwondo. It is her life. I’ve asked if she really wants taekwondo to be her childhood and her response was “why wouldn’t I?” We want to support her as much as possible. I don’t want to be the one keeping her from something she truly loves. She does other activities, but this is her passion.
With the TKD class load you mention and assuming she in is grade school that is a big commitment even before the additional sparring classes. From my experience, if she is good and shows potential, and she is competing in a higher level circuit with Olympic goals, it can take on a very demanding life of it own. It may become much more business like, possibly taking away some of the fun for her. As you said, you are in uncharted waters.
Everyone here hopes to give you the best input we are capable of, but know they are opinions based on the very limited set of information given to this point. To help us, can you give more information. Age, rank, years of training, organization affiliation, anything else you can share. The most important thing I try to help parents in your situation is to understand how much competitive drive she has and then set down and talk through the potential directions it can take her and talk about the good and bad that will likely happen along the way. I have seen several kids who were elite level physically but did not have the mental toughness or could not commit for various reasons. If the goal is to get her in you schools competitions to see where it goes from there the risks are probably reduced but the increased workload (and demand on parents time)will be very real.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not about winning. I guess I shouldn’t have said it like that, it’s more about not being trained properly or her getting hurt because of it. That is my concern. We did find another possible place that she likes and can stay at her school. She did compete in poomsae and says it’s boring.

And, most of all if she goes to competitions through her current school, she would not have a coach there. They said they can’t guarantee somebody would be there because they have to teach classes. I was told I could coach her. She asked how I could do it when I’m a lower belt.
I still think its worth seeing how the first few competitions go before you make any decisions either way. You can be her coach for the beginning.

As an example of how you can be her coach despite being a lower belt-when I was a collegiate fencer, we'd have 3 different weapons, guys and girls, and 2-3 coaches at an event. That's at most 1 coach for every two 'divisions'. Generally whichever area had the captain wouldn't have a coach there, so they'd be an interim coach, which happened with me. At the time I was captain, I was distinctly better than the other two foil fencers (more a result of experience in competitions than anything else), so I could be there coach fairly well. But, when I was up, one of them would have to be my coach. You'd think this would be an issue-it wasn't, really. Obviously you want the best person there, but just having someone with an outside perspective giving advice between bouts on how I'm doing, and helping me stay emotionally fine after a bad match was more than enough. As a parent, you could probably do a better job of that then someone from the school (and that's all a 7 year old really needs)

OP
K

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We homeschool her, so she has a little more flexibility. I do feel like this is getting a bit overwhelming for me. I am really torn. I appreciate the advice, I really do. I don’t have any other parents who understand on the same level.

She understands that she might have to give up dance, which she really loves, but just asked if she could try it again if she wants. Right now, she has been progressing quickly. Her instructor said he’s never seen a kid like her and she has a lot of potential. She’s had a couple of main ones. He said he doesn’t want to hold her back. She is super motivated, determined and competitive. She wants hard workouts and told me that she is getting bored at her current school. She likes helping people, but said she always does the same workouts and helps people since she knows her stuff. She’s a few belts away from black belt but is already learning black belt things at the school because the instructor is running out of things for her. She grasps and learns them quickly. Her school says only time is holding her back now. Her instructors are great and supportive. Parents constantly comment on her ambition and drive. Honestly I’ve had many parents comment on how she looks a lot better than the black belts there. I’m not saying this to brag but to give an idea of how she is. She puts in the time and effort at school and comes home and practices. She gets on me.

The school we went to check out has an awesome coach. He said she has a lot of potential and had another kid who started around her age and similar ability; and is now top in the nation in her age and class. She asked if she could do that, too! We realize the time and commitment, but I’m so torn. We’re willing to give it a chance, but I feel like it will be giving up part of her childhood. I said I would support her and would prefer her to learn the right way when’s she young. But I know she has the commitment and drive to do the best she can. Is it fair for me to hold her back? This is really weighing on me heavily.

OP
K

kiwi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I still think its worth seeing how the first few competitions go before you make any decisions either way. You can be her coach for the beginning.

As an example of how you can be her coach despite being a lower belt-when I was a collegiate fencer, we'd have 3 different weapons, guys and girls, and 2-3 coaches at an event. That's at most 1 coach for every two 'divisions'. Generally whichever area had the captain wouldn't have a coach there, so they'd be an interim coach, which happened with me. At the time I was captain, I was distinctly better than the other two foil fencers (more a result of experience in competitions than anything else), so I could be there coach fairly well. But, when I was up, one of them would have to be my coach. You'd think this would be an issue-it wasn't, really. Obviously you want the best person there, but just having someone with an outside perspective giving advice between bouts on how I'm doing, and helping me stay emotionally fine after a bad match was more than enough. As a parent, you could probably do a better job of that then someone from the school (and that's all a 7 year old really needs)

I just have no idea how to coach at all. I probably could, but I’m sure I could get a little emotional with her. I guess I said on find her somebody who can help her improve and get better. I’d be scared to try to help her at a competition. The whole thing still kind of scares me. I said I would never put my fears in her and I don’t.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just have no idea how to coach at all. I probably could, but I’m sure I could get a little emotional with her. I guess I said on find her somebody who can help her improve and get better. I’d be scared to try to help her at a competition. The whole thing still kind of scares me. I said I would never put my fears in her and I don’t.
You've got plenty of time to figure it out. You guys can learn together

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If she doesn't want to leave then you shouldn't make her leave. She may hate the new place then end up hating it all together. At the end of the day it's about a child's happiness. If she enters a competition and loses then so what? Who cares? She's never going to make a living out of being a competition fighter unless somehow she makes it to the Olympics. Don't take it that seriously at this age it's all about fun and enjoyment. Winning and losing a few unimportant competitions really isn't that big a deal. If she wins cool, if she loses then whatever she learns how to deal with losing

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the best competitors I know trained at schools that didn't teach for competition. They just took what they knew, learned the rules, and went to compete. There's an advantage to training ONLY for competition, but there's no reason she can't compete while training at the current school.

Latest Discussions