Taking the Martial out of the Art.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For people that are so hung up on "respect", a lot of people here have been openly disrespectful and rude to a valued member here and I believe a TSD Dan holder (or is that granfire I'm thinking of?)

Respect is earned, not given. You're right to expect courtesy from potential students but if your self-confidence is so easily damaged maybe the martial arts are not for you. I suspect a lot of "respect" and "discipline" in the martial arts today is used to prop up egos rather than build character or teach more effectively.

Yes, I'm TSD Dan grade and Wado Ryu 1st Kyu, thank you too. Much appreciated.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For people that are so hung up on "respect", a lot of people here have been openly disrespectful and rude to a valued member here and I believe a TSD Dan holder (or is that granfire I'm thinking of?)

Respect is earned, not given. You're right to expect courtesy from potential students but if your self-confidence is so easily damaged maybe the martial arts are not for you. I suspect a lot of "respect" and "discipline" in the martial arts today is used to prop up egos rather than build character or teach more effectively.
Maybe it has always been about that. Maybe not. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gather some people don't like robust opinions. As someone else posted up here martial arts people tend to be Type As so on MT you will gt strong opinions and the people that hold them tend to be outgoing, not shrinking violets. I live in Yorkshire where plain speaking is valued, i'm also used to the military way of saying what you mean without dressing it up, I do speak plainly and I will put my name to my opinions, I'm sorry if people who don't agree take it personally, it isn't meant that. I do dislike people though who like to give their opinion anonymously, it's cowardly but there you are.

this is us and one of my local pubs.http://www.sunriseag.net/adoptapub/more/0027VictoriaArmsWorton.htm
"The residents of the Dales, or Dales Folk, speak plainly and economically. They will not invite you to dinner unless they genuinely mean to extend a real invitation. More often, they will simply not invite you, unless they have gotten to know you over the course of say three or four years.
But trust a Yorkshireman. They mean what they say, on those rare occasions they actually say anything. Ask a question, and you can expect an honest answer, even though the answer will be lacking in embellishment. "

You may not like me, you may not like what I say but I'm honest, I don't play games and I don't hide behind anonymity.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I gather some people don't like robust opinions. As someone else posted up here martial arts people tend to be Type As so on MT you will gt strong opinions and the people that hold them tend to be outgoing, not shrinking violets. I live in Yorkshire where plain speaking is valued, i'm also used to the military way of saying what you mean without dressing it up, I do speak plainly and I will put my name to my opinions, I'm sorry if people who don't agree take it personally, it isn't meant that. I do dislike people though who like to give their opinion anonymously, it's cowardly but there you are.

this is us and one of my local pubs.
"The residents of the Dales, or Dales Folk, speak plainly and economically. They will not invite you to dinner unless they genuinely mean to extend a real invitation. More often, they will simply not invite you, unless they have gotten to know you over the course of say three or four years.
But trust a Yorkshireman. They mean what they say, on those rare occasions they actually say anything. Ask a question, and you can expect an honest answer, even though the answer will be lacking in embellishment. "

You may not like me, you may not like what I say but I'm honest, I don't play games and I don't hide behind anonymity.
I must have been a Yorkshireman in a past life. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must have been a Yorkshireman in a past life. :D

My other half is Yorkshire, ask him what is religion is and he'll tell you he's a Yorkshireman! Plain speaking is prized here, read All Creatures Great and Small or watch the videos!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking more on the 'respect', as it might apply to the type of martial arts training I've been exposed to (limited) and musing about the whole 'martial' aspect. Being primarily interested in kobudo, I don't have a problem with the 'east-west' thing for my training. (It should be obvious, but in case it isn't, this implies that I understand others have different paths.)

I brought up 'rei' before, and thought this link might be useful to rounding out the context.

http://www.umich.edu/~umkendo/kendo.html

this from your link explains far better what I was trying to say.

[SIZE=-1]"The reason why I believe that this is an imprecise translation is that in our American culture, we have no tradition of "showing respect". When we use the word "respect", we as Americans often say "I respect you" or "You have earned my respect". There is an implicit understanding that "respect" is a internal, personal, and private valuation given to a person after a particular event or occurence. As Americans, we value respect highly, guard it jealously, and seldom give it. Indeed there is almost no greater compliment in our culture than to say "You have earned my respect"."

As instructors we expect courtesy and good manners, ie no talking when we do, turning up on time and apologies if you can't etc etc. We don't expect respect, that has to be earned. [/SIZE]

Latest Discussions