The Sjambok

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might be able to get information on using the Sjambok? It is allegedly an ancient African whip used to herd cattle and also used for self defense. It was originally made from braided animal hide but is now made with synthetic materials.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a friend of mine bought Cold Steel's version. He loves it. He spends a lot of time walking fields and smacking it against a tree or fence post gives most dogs enough of a warning that they leave him alone...

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Sjambok is IN MOST CASES one helluva self defense weapon. The speed, the distance, the pain inflicted make it very hard to beat IMO. It isn't perfect but nothing is. I'd use it over a knife or a gun since those are potentially lethal weapons whereas the Sjambok isn't. I don't wanna kill an attacker I want him to wake up for many mornings following an encounter w/ me in alot of pain realizing he made a huge mistake. I won't be charged w/ murder or attempted murder. A&B possibly but doubtful.

A few stikes to an attacker's face or hands will end most fights very quickly. Once you've removed the dominant hand & an eye from the self-defense equation the odds are 80+% in you favor. You realistically can't ask for much more than that from a $10 polypropylene weapon which will pass through any metal detector and can be concealed.

Knowledgeable opinions?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Sjambok is IN MOST CASES one helluva self defense weapon. The speed, the distance, the pain inflicted make it very hard to beat IMO. It isn't perfect but nothing is. I'd use it over a knife or a gun since those are potentially lethal weapons whereas the Sjambok isn't. I don't wanna kill an attacker I want him to wake up for many mornings following an encounter w/ me in alot of pain realizing he made a huge mistake. I won't be charged w/ murder or attempted murder. A&B possibly but doubtful.

A few stikes to an attacker's face or hands will end most fights very quickly. Once you've removed the dominant hand & an eye from the self-defense equation the odds are 80+% in you favor. You realistically can't ask for much more than that from a $10 polypropylene weapon which will pass through any metal detector and can be concealed.

Knowledgeable opinions?
i don't think you have a very realistic view. If you're not worried about realism no problem, but are you gonna carry your sjambok every where you go? This alone makes it a poor choice for self defense, it's s novelty item, let's not act like its a practical EDC. It's a neat weapon and if you properly train weapons it's worth exploring, but it is not a good option for self defense. A net and trident might also be fair option for immobilizing and demotivating an attacker but it's not a valid approach in our modern society. The sjambok is cool but it's far worse than a knife or gun when your life or the life of your wife and children are on the line.

Last edited:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Knowledgeable opinions?
Hello, I agree these are a super non lethal option I had tried one a time ago and found them a peachy idea, and but like @Mephisto has said not maybe too practical for EDC? and so I would be interested please if you use one, how do you your self carry it concealed? Obliged,J

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IMO the Sjambok is alot like the nunchakus. Unless you train w/ it it isn't a totally practical idea for self-defense. If you train w/ it & learn how to effectively use it the it is most certainly an excellent weapon.

Here's a response I got from Jim K. who is a professional self-defense instructor to police & military personnel:

YES! Sjambok is VERY effective. Lynn Thompson tells stories of using the
Sjam in fighting - holy cow the damn thing is devastating. I too could
tell stories of light taps that end fights. The IDIOT you speak of is
thusly so, let'em rant and rail... their own ignorance betrays their
cause. Sjambok is so, so effective it should be lovely banned, it does
THAT MUCH damage - yikes!!

It is the best of saber, the stick, the whip and the cane all in one
package. It's unique aspects produce surprises in the results (wounds)it
makes, the Sjambok does a type of damage rarely seen in "normal" weapons
use. It has a rather unique hydrostatic shock effect that must be seen
to be appreciated.

If you need to or want to hear more of this just call me and lets talk
for 15 min... otherwise I be writing you a small book! Speaking of
books, have you or the other fellow read Loriega's book on Sjambok
usage? (I wrote the forward ) -- SCOURGE OF THE DARK CONTINENT
https://www.google.com/search?q=scourge+of+the+dark+continent+book&ie=utf-8&oe=u
tf-8

OK, hope this helps some!
JIM K

Attachments

• SjambokBBat.jpg
    SjambokBBat.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,524
  • SjambokTwoStrikeSequence.jpg
    SjambokTwoStrikeSequence.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,764

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This 'weapon' has long been connected to the Apartheid era in South Africa where it was infamously used by the South African police.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here are some unfortuneate recipients of the Sjambok. Ouch!

Attachments

• sjam.jpg
    sjam.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 8,752
  • sjam2.jpg
    sjam2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 5,672
  • Sjambok 1.jpg
    Sjambok 1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,737
  • Sjambok 4.jpg
    Sjambok 4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 13,272

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO the Sjambok is alot like the nunchakus. Unless you train w/ it it isn't a totally practical idea for self-defense. If you train w/ it & learn how to effectively use it the it is most certainly an excellent weapon.

Here's a response I got from Jim K. who is a professional self-defense instructor to police & military personnel:

YES! Sjambok is VERY effective. Lynn Thompson tells stories of using the
Sjam in fighting - holy cow the damn thing is devastating. I too could
tell stories of light taps that end fights. The IDIOT you speak of is
thusly so, let'em rant and rail... their own ignorance betrays their
cause. Sjambok is so, so effective it should be lovely banned, it does
THAT MUCH damage - yikes!!

It is the best of saber, the stick, the whip and the cane all in one
package. It's unique aspects produce surprises in the results (wounds)it
makes, the Sjambok does a type of damage rarely seen in "normal" weapons
use. It has a rather unique hydrostatic shock effect that must be seen
to be appreciated.

If you need to or want to hear more of this just call me and lets talk
for 15 min... otherwise I be writing you a small book! Speaking of
books, have you or the other fellow read Loriega's book on Sjambok
usage? (I wrote the forward ) -- SCOURGE OF THE DARK CONTINENT
https://www.google.com/search?q=scourge+of+the+dark+continent+book&ie=utf-8&oe=u
tf-8

OK, hope this helps some!
JIM K
I don't think anyone is arguing that it's not an effective weapon. A cop or military person that doesn't have to be concerned with legal ramifications could rightly tout it's effectiveness. But for regular people martial arts weapons and specialized self defense tools can make it easy to end up on the wrong side of the law. A baseball bat can make a great weapon if you use it with unquestionable legality, but few lawers would recommend you travel around with one for self defense. But luckily with a baseball bat you can bring a glove and some balls and explain why you had the bat. In violent encounters intent can change a lot and it's very easy to end up on the wrong side o the law if you intent is questionable.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Jim K"s response ^ I posted was not in any way directed towards anyone here. I posted the same inquiry somewhere else & some idiot added his 2cents.

I imagine if someone was struck hard across the face/neck/arms w/ a Sjambok the pain inflicted would be more than sufficient to make them reconsider the attack. I can't see a facial strike not laying open the skin if hit w/ the last few inches of the Sjambok.

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I found a couple of new sjambok stories I thought I'd post. >

A sjambok no joke. In Zimbabwe they're still widely used for crowd control. Ten cops with Sjambkos can scatter a crwod of demonstrators of over 700 people with little to no effort. It's one of the most terrifying things I've witnessed in action. Grown adults scream in terror when the cops roll in with these things. You don't want to be on the receiving end of it.....

For anybody familiar with the Immigration issue, there have been many protests on the streets, especially in California. My friend and I went out at about 3:00PM one day and came back in the middle of a protest at about 7:30. The car he had been driving ('88 Accord) had been giving him many problems recently and decided to crap out while on our way back from our trip. We pushed the car to a less discrete area, figuring we would wait for the protests to calm down. We pushed the car into a small alley where we came upon a somewhat mean looking group of individuals (4) and they started harrassing us. After saying that we didn't want any problems they continued to harrass us and get closer. When one of the individuals was about 10 yards away I saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a knife. I went to the back seat quickly but calmly and pulled out the Sjambok. I told the gentlemen once again that we didn't want any trouble. By now the individual with the knife was within my area where I felt uncomfortable, so I got into a defensive stance with the Sjambok in my right hand over my left shoulder. In my other hand I had my C3 Centurion The individual brought his blade up, and I struck the back of his hand, which quickly disarmed him. I came back around and struck him in the face which from what I saw left a nasty mark. Before anybody else could react I took my light and shone it into the eyes of 2 of the other men. I managed to strike one of them multiple times, which brought him to the ground, where I remember kicking him. I backed off to a safe distance. The man on the floor got up, injured, and the four men left the scene. By now my friend had already gotten to the triunk and pulled out a baseball bat, but it's use was unecessary.

I must say that between all the things I have heard about the sjambok, good and bad, I believe the added reach gave me the edge I needed to escape from this situation unharmed. I am now a firm believer in the martial use of the sjambok, and plan to carry one in my car for as long as possable.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A mate of mine from Chile use to carry a similar whip for fighting people. Called it a dumb rubber. Just a piece of rubber hose packed with dirt and rolled up in the pocket.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That will confuse Americans no end, to them a rubber is a condom!
I had an Australian friend in University. Harding University, in Arkansas, a very conservative Christian university. No booze, curfews, no sex, separate dorms, no member of opposite sex in your room, etc. He went in to the book store and asked for help finding a rubber. He needed to rub out the marks from his pencil. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score

A sjambok no joke. In Zimbabwe they're still widely used for crowd control. Ten cops with Sjambkos can scatter a crwod of demonstrators of over 700 people with little to no effort. It's one of the most terrifying things I've witnessed in action. Grown adults scream in terror when the cops roll in with these things. You don't want to be on the receiving end of it.....

For anybody familiar with the Immigration issue, there have been many protests on the streets, especially in California. My friend and I went out at about 3:00PM one day and came back in the middle of a protest at about 7:30. The car he had been driving ('88 Accord) had been giving him many problems recently and decided to crap out while on our way back from our trip. We pushed the car to a less discrete area, figuring we would wait for the protests to calm down. We pushed the car into a small alley where we came upon a somewhat mean looking group of individuals (4) and they started harrassing us. After saying that we didn't want any problems they continued to harrass us and get closer. When one of the individuals was about 10 yards away I saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a knife. I went to the back seat quickly but calmly and pulled out the Sjambok. I told the gentlemen once again that we didn't want any trouble. By now the individual with the knife was within my area where I felt uncomfortable, so I got into a defensive stance with the Sjambok in my right hand over my left shoulder. In my other hand I had my C3 Centurion The individual brought his blade up, and I struck the back of his hand, which quickly disarmed him. I came back around and struck him in the face which from what I saw left a nasty mark. Before anybody else could react I took my light and shone it into the eyes of 2 of the other men. I managed to strike one of them multiple times, which brought him to the ground, where I remember kicking him. I backed off to a safe distance. The man on the floor got up, injured, and the four men left the scene. By now my friend had already gotten to the triunk and pulled out a baseball bat, but it's use was unecessary.

I must say that between all the things I have heard about the sjambok, good and bad, I believe the added reach gave me the edge I needed to escape from this situation unharmed. I am now a firm believer in the martial use of the sjambok, and plan to carry one in my car for as long as possable.

Here's a cool way to carry the sjambok >
Deluxe Sword Back Strap System | True Swords

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee was so impressed w/ what essentially is his version of the sjambok his next movie was centered around it.

Bruce Lee’s Green Bamboo Whip from GAME OF DEATH
Handmade to Bruce Lee’s exact specifications by the Golden Harvest Studios in Hong Kong. The "Broken Rhythm" Green Bamboo Whip is one of the most historic, symbolic weapons ever used in martial arts motion picture history. This unique flexible whip was designed to help illustrate the core principles of his revolutionary martial arts system, Jeet Kune Do. As JKD was a system without fixed positions, Bruce wanted to vividly demonstrate through the use of unconventional weapons that he was not affiliated to any traditional martial arts style or philosophy. The whip, in this instance, becomes a metaphor for speed, flexibility elusiveness and unpredictability. Bruce Lee’s technique can clearly be seen during his celebrated ‘first floor’ pagoda fight sequence against Guru Dan Inosanto in Game of Death. Prior to facing off against his opponent, who is armed with two red kali sticks, Bruce comments on the whip, as follows: “You know baby, this Bamboo is longer, more flexible, and very much alive… and when your flashy routine cannot keep up with the speed and elusiveness of this thing here, all I can say is you’ll be in deep trouble.” This almost directly parallels his quote about the man being more important than any style or system, a dead piece of wood going up against a flexible weapon that is “very much alive.” He then continues to ‘school’ his opponent as he fights – a tool used to educate the audience, and to psych out his opponent, breaking down his confidence which in turn makes him less aggressive. Bruce Lee also mentions "Broken rhythm," a powerful way to confuse an opponent by frequently changing the pace or timing of a fight to throw an opponent off guard. . The Bamboo Whip is 105cm (45.5 inches) long. Bruce Lee was a true innovator in every sense, and this unique bamboo weapon, reinforced with a rubberized protective coating, is a striking example of his ability to illustrate complex principles through dynamic visual means. Bruce Lee loved the Bamboo Whip so much that the title of his next movie was to be GREEN BAMBOO WARRIOR, and was to be centered around this weapon.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can somebody describe how to best use a SB for self defense? Do you just try to hit the head/eyes and swing it like a golf club only sideways and at head height?

My concern is that striking with it is rather easy but using it to defend yourself against punches or other attacks probably requires practice.