The Sjambok

Discussion in 'General Weapons Discussion' started by harold, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Winchester

Winchester Orange Belt

I don't "carry around" my sjambok. The back sling is for when I ride my bike. Not strolling the mall or Wal Mart, that would be asking for trouble.

The sjambok as I said plenty of weapon for me.

2. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    What martial art do you train?

3. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    Monkey Dance fights, yes. Self Defense, no.

[​IMG]

4. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    Strangely enough, James' book, which you've referenced several times, lists at least 2 ways to conceal it which I can recall.

Or knowledge of, or skill in?

• Like Like x 1
  5. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    I've asked him about his training and experience several times now. Crickets. Maybe you'll have better luck.

So far, every time he writes, I get images of Napoleon Dynamite. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    We have an area like that here, Norfolk. Urban Dictionary: Normal for Norfolk

7. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Just one thing. In most States in the US such a weapon would at a minimum automatically rise to the level of Aggravated Assault and the weapon may, technically, be illegal. Many States have in their statutes that lethal force can be used in self defense if the person believes that they need to protect themselves from "serious bodily injury", which is often defined as: Bodily injury which creates a substantial risk of death or which causes serious, permanent disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ."

I think your comment about taking out an eye would fall into that category and so I would use caution .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    The thing you forget is, under US Law carrying a firearm is Constitutionally protected, this weapon is not and is likely illegal in most jurisdictions as a Prohibitive Offensive weapon. Additionally as I noted previously it's use likely justifies someone shooting you.

Thanks said I can understand a distaste of carrying a firearm but a knife? Not only does that have utility but it's utility gets around pesky laws that prohibit the carrying of weapons that serve no other "legitimate" purpose than to harm another human being. Personally I have always wondered why the modern interpretation of the 2nd Amendment only gets applied to firearms (from a purely Constitutional literalist point swords and knives were used A LOT in the 18th century on the battlefield) bit the laws are what they are.

9. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    While avoiding modern politics (prohibited here on MT), the reason is most likely because the specific term "arms" was, at the time of writing, exclusive to what we now think of as "Military Small Arms." I.E. longarms and handguns. The specified goal, as accepted by SCOTUS in the Majority Opinions of U.S. v Miller in 1939 and D.C. v Heller in 2008, was to allow citizens ownership of personal firearms suitable for military service.

Basically "rifles, shotguns, and handguns."

There's a lot of scholarship surrounding looking at how the term "arms" was used in period and the gist of it is "guns."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ScourgeOfAfrica

ScourgeOfAfrica White Belt

There are endless hypotheticals in SD. The sjambok is a damn good non--lethal SD weapon for numerous possible situations. Loriega makes note of the advantages of knowledge of filipino stick fighting arts as they relate to using the sjambok. I'm not aware of another non-lethal SD weapon which delivers so much while requiring so little.

11. Juany118

Juany118 Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    As I noted earlier, this weapon, even Kali sticks, pull them and in most US jurisdictions you justified someone shooting you. It is not, legally, non-lethal at best it is "less lethal."

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    The sjambok is well documented to be able to inflict "serious bodily injury." Most U.S. Jurisdictions allow for the use of Deadly Force in response to the threat of "serious bodily injury."

Legally speaking, in most places and from everything I can tell (INAL), there is no legal difference between a sjambok and a knife or a club.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. frank raud

frank raud Master Black Belt

I watched Searching for Sugarman today. There is a scene with South African police using sjamboks to disperse a crowd.

14. Saffa

Saffa White Belt

Hi guys, I found this thread while looking online to buy a sjambok here in Australia. I'm originally from South Africa so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Quick review on the Cold Steel sjambok which I received a couple days ago:
    I've had and used a sjambok pretty much all my life. Primary used for dispatching venomous snakes specifically, which there are many in Northern KZN. Taken out about 10 snakes with it. One of which was a one hit decapitation when a snake stuck his head out of a exterior drain line.

The CS sjambok is quite a bit heavier than your typical sjambok from SA, especially the handle. I've given it a good swing or two and feel slower with it than my standard sjambok made in SA. I wouldn't feel as comfortable with it confronting a snake as my wrist control would be affected. My wife is petite so I'm not so sure how she'll handle it.
    Don't get me wrong, I do like it. It's really well made and feels more like a self defence weapon.
    My sjambok in SA was thinner and easy to use. I think I took out my first snake around 12 years old. I don't think I wouldn't have been able to with the CS one.

So my recommendation is if you're looking for a self defense weapon the CS one is probably better, however if you're primarily going to use it to control snake population I would probably recommend one off bidorbuy.co.za (SA's eBay equivalent).

On side note, not one I'm proud of, but it may prove educational: When we were in our early teens my bigger, older brother and I got into a huge fight (he started it). He armed himself with a field hockey stick and I armed myself with the sjambok. The superior reach meant I won the exchange untouched with him getting a big ol cut above his eye. Obviously not a life or death situation but show me the damage it can do.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jenna

Jenna Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Good to hear info from some one who have actually used it, thank you! Tho can you carry it on a plane? cos you some time get lots of snakes on those too..

16. Saffa

Saffa White Belt

My final recommendation is that Samuel L Jackson is welding a sjambok if a sequel is made (please movie producers, don't a sequel).

It got delivered to my work so I had to take it on the train back home. Got some interesting looks.

17. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    How many Sharknado sequels are we up to now? Snakes on a Plane sequel is definitely a possibility. rofl

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk