Whips?

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday it rained and I didn't have a chance to practise but I got a good day in today. ;) I managed to get the S(I think)-shaped forward crack down quite well and started hitting a plastic pipe with great accuracy and a loud CRACK. That was quite satisfying. =D

I'll try the C-shape tomorrow.
The "S" is best for repetitive movements,since it tends to incorporate an "auto-retraction".
The "c", being "laid out" tends not to "come back" without an additional movement.

I actually only hit myself once today, but it was quite minor. At least when I was practising the forward crack. The side-arm... I have no ideas about it other than that I almost took off me head again.
Most of the self-inflicted stuff is "just that"... tends to come when you're trying to keep the whip away from yourself.
Let it get/stay close and it will tend to "fly out" away from you.

Infact, now that I've done a lot of research about whips I have discovered that for whatever reason my whip lacks a belly. It is, in fact, a belly with no outer layer.
Not familiar with or forgotten that term... my "whipping days"/usage was mostly in the 1970s.

I have seen some diagrams and it is plaited the same was as bellies. I guess you were right and that it is a light whip, though I was still able to crack it quite well. It didn't sound like a cannon, though. I may try to apply some dressing later and I'll need to replace the cracker as well.
The plaiting on a high-quality whip tends to be done *around* the core (or
"belly"?).

The keeper I was reffering to is common on stock whips and holds the handle and the thong together. Mine lacks that (The handle is imbedded into the thong) and a wrist loop. I'm not sure what a rotator is, but it probably doesn't have that.
The handle is built around a rotating core, and this prevents "bind" in the body of the whip.

I think that sounds like a great idea, but I have one question, then. Is the whip that I have suitable enough that I want to buy more? They are cheap, but is the quality also low? I know that cracks are as much the whip as the technique. Until I know that, I may have to make several more purchases. ;)
"Cracking" is almost irrelevant... unless you intend to use it "for-show"/tricks/etc.

As always, "you get what you pay for".
So long as these units "serve a purpose" they'll be adequate.
I have to guess that a high-quality whip these days will run in the $80 to $100 US range.... playing with a whip might easily not be worth that kind of money. let alone buying a "back up" or two.

Pete

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The "S" is best for repetitive movements,since it tends to incorporate an "auto-retraction".
The "c", being "laid out" tends not to "come back" without an additional movement.

I wasn't ably to get that one down yesterday, but I almost "mastered" the forward and got pretty good with the overhead. My arm is very sore today, so I may need to back off.

Most of the self-inflicted stuff is "just that"... tends to come when you're trying to keep the whip away from yourself.
Let it get/stay close and it will tend to "fly out" away from you.

That may be the problem, yes. I think that cracking whips requires balls of steel. ;)

Not familiar with or forgotten that term... my "whipping days"/usage was mostly in the 1970s.

The belly is essentially a whip inside the whip. It is simply plaited in a checkred pattern and has a core of ... I'm not sure. Some kind of fibre. It's called filler. In a normal whip this belly is then covered with more filling and then the outer leather plaiting. Mine lacks the latter two, so I guess it's a light whip?

The handle is built around a rotating core, and this prevents "bind" in the body of the whip.

That I do not see..

"Cracking" is almost irrelevant... unless you intend to use it "for-show"/tricks/etc.

I intend to learn trick cracking first to gain control of the whip. It also doubles as intimidation. Target cutting is also right up there. After that I will start to experiment with other martial applications.

As always, "you get what you pay for".
So long as these units "serve a purpose" they'll be adequate.
I have to guess that a high-quality whip these days will run in the $80 to $100 US range.... playing with a whip might easily not be worth that kind of money. let alone buying a "back up" or two.

I am seriously considering this. I called the man I bought it from last night and he said that they also make the whip 9 feet long (The one I have now is 6 feet - measured from the butt of the handle to the end of the thong). As far as I know the longer whips are better for cracking, but less good for test cutting. The 7,8,9, and even 10 range is a good overal range and will work for almost anything except a wrap and a swing. If I get that one and it cracks well I'll definitely buy some back-ups, afterwhich my goal would be to make them. ;)

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't ably to get that one down yesterday, but I almost "mastered" the forward and got pretty good with the overhead. My arm is very sore today, so I may need to back off.

Depending on the "feel" of your soreness, that would normally call for either some "muscle" Dit Dah Jow (apply with the bare hand) or Zheng Gu Shui (apply with a cotton ball).
For "deeper" longer-term "hot" soreness, you might consider some of the analgesic patches.

That may be the problem, yes. I think that cracking whips requires balls of steel. ;)
"Determination" if nothing else.
Similar stuff to what you should develop doing Ma Bo, "3-Star Blocking", etc

The belly is essentially a whip inside the whip. It is simply plaited in a checkred pattern and has a core of ... I'm not sure. Some kind of fibre. It's called filler. In a normal whip this belly is then covered with more filling and then the outer leather plaiting. Mine lacks the latter two, so I guess it's a light whip?
Sounds likely.

I intend to learn trick cracking first to gain control of the whip. It also doubles as intimidation. Target cutting is also right up there. After that I will start to experiment with other martial applications.
Sounds like you've set your goals pretty well.

I am seriously considering this. I called the man I bought it from last night and he said that they also make the whip 9 feet long (The one I have now is 6 feet - measured from the butt of the handle to the end of the thong). As far as I know the longer whips are better for cracking, but less good for test cutting. The 7,8,9, and even 10 range is a good overal range and will work for almost anything except a wrap and a swing. If I get that one and it cracks well I'll definitely buy some back-ups, afterwhich my goal would be to make them. ;)
I more or less settled on 8 feet as optimum for my purposes.
One of my students went up to 20 feet or so... pretty difficult to use indoors.

Making your own whips is rather "over the top" unless you think you can do it as a sideline so it will pay for itself.

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the "feel" of your soreness, that would normally call for either some "muscle" Dit Dah Jow (apply with the bare hand) or Zheng Gu Shui (apply with a cotton ball).
For "deeper" longer-term "hot" soreness, you might consider some of the analgesic patches.

I applied some leather dressing to the whip and took a day off. My arms feels better already. ;) I used the first medicine you mentioned when I studied Qinna. Extremely useful. ;)

Sounds like you've set your goals pretty well.

I more or less settled on 8 feet as optimum for my purposes.
One of my students went up to 20 feet or so... pretty difficult to use indoors.

Making your own whips is rather "over the top" unless you think you can do it as a sideline so it will pay for itself.

I heard that 8 feet is best, but I only have a choice between 6 and 9 feet from this place and they ARE quite cheap. Even the six is impossible to use in a "normal" room.

When I take up a new "interest" I want to learn everything I can about it to formulate the best objective opinions and theories possible on it. Another reason to learn the craft would be making my own custom whips, as a hobby, and/or, as you mentioned, selling them. And I'm always way over the top.

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I applied some leather dressing to the whip and took a day off. My arms feels better already. ;) I used the first medicine you mentioned when I studied Qinna. Extremely useful. ;)

"Time flies when you're... ":
a. "having fun"
b. "on the other side of the world."
c. {both}

I heard that 8 feet is best, but I only have a choice between 6 and 9 feet from this place and they ARE quite cheap. Even the six is impossible to use in a "normal" room.
Seems kind of strange that I'd be in agreement with "consensus" on anything... even whip length,

Working with the "S" you should be able to crack an 8 foot whip within 3 to 4 feet in front of your face.

When I take up a new "interest" I want to learn everything I can about it to formulate the best objective opinions and theories possible on it. Another reason to learn the craft would be making my own custom whips, as a hobby, and/or, as you mentioned, selling them. And I'm always way over the top.
Heh! good to know yourself.

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Time flies when you're... ":
a. "having fun"
b. "on the other side of the world."
c. {both}

Seems kind of strange that I'd be in agreement with "consensus" on anything... even whip length,

Working with the "S" you should be able to crack an 8 foot whip within 3 to 4 feet in front of your face.

Heh! good to know yourself.

Well, I didn't make any progress for a long time due to it raining every bloody day! .SFdjMVADFM,TJ#MF

But progress still came and I've got the forward crack down with both the right and the left hands, a very good right side arm (Left still needs some work, but get it every other time), but I can't seem to do the overhead for the life of me. I remember cracking it once and it sounded like thunder and I was temporarily deaf. But that was only one time and I haven't been able to do it again. I've also been practising some target cutting. I don't know why but it's infinitely easier to do it with the side arm. Great results, though. ;)

On a side note it's possible to choke and whip someone at the same time, it sees.

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But progress still came.... but I can't seem to do the overhead for the life of me. I remember cracking it once and it sounded like thunder and I was temporarily deaf. But that was only one time and I haven't been able to do it again.

I don't remember doing many of those....
Most folks end up whirling it around their head and going into the overhead forward crack from there. That's also the primary area that the rotators help with.... any binding from the the relatively continuous round-the-head motion.

I've also been practising some target cutting. I don't know why but it's infinitely easier to do it with the side arm. Great results, though. ;)
Shouldn't be a problem doing the others.

On a side note it's possible to choke and whip someone at the same time, it sees.
I can't picture that......

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't remember doing many of those....
Most folks end up whirling it around their head and going into the overhead forward crack from there. That's also the primary area that the rotators help with.... any binding from the the relatively continuous round-the-head motion.

Shouldn't be a problem doing the others.

I can't picture that......

OOO, mine doesn't have a rotator. I have done the overhead and then forward moving crack before, but I thought the overhead was supposed to crack off to the side or near your head (=s)? But my whip cracks the forward and sidearm loud enough. Today I tied the end of a new cracker I made into two separate knots with great results. The sound has come to sound like a cannon. Very cool stuff. ;)

P.S. You called it about the San Soo thing.

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OOO, mine doesn't have a rotator. I have done the overhead and then forward moving crack before, but I thought the overhead was supposed to crack off to the side or near your head (=s)? But my whip cracks the forward and sidearm loud enough. Today I tied the end of a new cracker I made into two separate knots with great results. The sound has come to sound like a cannon. Very cool stuff. ;)

For some folks, the rotator can be "irrelevant"... especially if they learn-to or like-to "avoid" the repeated overhead "whirling".
OTOH, a series of non-repetitive motions can run through various motions and you can choose to practice projecting/cracking your whip from any one of them.... the changing motions can alleviate any tendency towards binding. A good thing to beware of is getting caught/wrapped-up in the midst of your own serial motions when the whip-hand can get well ahead of the end of the whip.... when this happens, the end of the whip can "sneak up behind you".

You're "ahead of me" on cracker replacements.

P.S. You called it about the San Soo thing.
"Experience" is some kind of teacher... or other.
"They're all over the place!"
(literally thousands of them!)
(discouraging thought....)

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The sjambok, both traditional and the SA Police version, is a terrible weapon that can cut to the bone and remove fingers.

^ Proof that it's the skill of the weilder that makes the difference. I've never heard of finger dissection with a sjambok before although I can envision it.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I recently got into whipping spinning tops and after I hit myself once had a martial brain fart. Whips are the only area where I am completely at a loss of information. Does anyone think whips are an effective self defense weapon?

Absolutely! Especially shorter whip known as cossack nagaika whips! These have been used for centuries by Russain cossacks one of the most famous world's warriors!
I myself own and practice short nagaika whips and welcome you to watch some of my youtube videos dedicated to nagaikas, like this one for instance:

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This video shows the idea of using short whip for defense against knife, and for any close range attacks for that matter!

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It probably isn't articulated and the cracker probably isn't easily replaced. I'm not expecting much for 80元 ($10.something), though if you look closely the quality of the leather seems good. Also, this is a Chinese whip, so I'm not sure why they would make it rope at the end. Leather is probably more brutal, perhaps rope is used to make it more of a "trick whip" and less of a real weapon? Anyways, for my first whip I prefer something like this. It is 2.5 metres long. Is this the right kind of whip to learn how to crack?

Naturally. ;) I carry my telescopic baton everywhere and "whip it out" when I'm sure no one is looking. If I make it an instinctive habit it will stick.

I don't intend to display it so openly. My meaning was more like: what kind of legal consequences could there be for using a whip to stave off an attacker and perhaps drawing some blood in the process?

How about this kind of whip defense?

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Short whips are great self defense tools which allow numerous techniques and control the damage use wish to inflict - unlike the baton - and still achive the goal from chasing the apponent away ... or controlling them.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another idea of short whip...this time it is a combination of short whip and lead shot sap!

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The SA police use of the sjambok prove it is incredibly effective.

I am sure! Do they still use it now?

I want your opinion on this item I show in the video this baton cane can be used both as a type of sjambok or a cane and as a sort of whip! The cane option is preferable of course.

Latest Discussions