The Blue Gi

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Patrick"

Aside from the fact that you are ignoring a multitude of questions that have been asked you directly, it's difficult to have a conversation when you use words like:

"highly presumptuous"

"the inane blue gi"

"the stupid blue judo suit in 1997 by the facist International Judo Federation"

and so forth - there are better ones further back.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Feisty Mouse said:
"Patrick"

Aside from the fact that you are ignoring a multitude of questions that have been asked you directly, it's difficult to have a conversation when you use words like:

"highly presumptuous"

"the inane blue gi"

"the stupid blue judo suit in 1997 by the facist International Judo Federation"

and so forth - there are better ones further back.
Hi Feisty,

Why is it difficult to have a conversation? It would be great if you, or anyone on this thread, can justify the introduction of the blue judo gi, and the reasons for it, by the IJF in 1997?

So far, all my valid reasons posted have been ignored, and I've received a lot of unenlightened emotionalisms instead of strong arguments in support of the blue gi?

The Japanese hate it, the All Japan Judo Federation despise it, and I have spoken to several older (45+) and experienced judo players and sensei's who don't like it a bit.

But on this particular thread, nothing but silliness and generalizations by people who don't appear to have a very strong background in judo.

I would love to read your opinions, for or against, the blue judo gi?!

Thanx!

Yours in Judo,

OP
B

Baytor

I think most people don't care about the color of their gi. I think most people here are more interested in what's inside (knowledge, training, ect) than what color clothes they're wearing.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

IamBaytor said:
I think most people don't care about the color of their gi. I think most people here are more interested in what's inside (knowledge, training, ect) than what color clothes they're wearing.
If it were only that simple in judo. The blue judo gi represents a lot of bad reasoning on behalf of the International Judo Federation, they really had no right to introduce a blue gi without a lot of input from judoka.

Now options have been removed, in major point or national tournaments, if you refuse to wear a blue gi, you don't compete. That is going to alienate a lot of good judo players. Judo is being twisted into something it is not - a sport, and the blue gi represents this transmorgrification.

What I really get a kick out of, is that since the blue judo gi is still kind of rare, if a large club shows up to a big tournament, and not all of the players have enough blue gi's, they are given a 'blue sash' or blue obi to wear. So why get rid of the red sash in the first place? The blue gi is totally unnecessary.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Patrick.

I, for one, admire your courage and principles in defending your belief. Judo and the martial arts need more people like you. I don't practice judo myself. But if I did, I would NEVER wear a blue uniform. I don't beleve for a second Kano would have approved it, and yes it does matter.
As a Tae Kwon Do practitioner, I deal with people who think black, blue, red, and multicolored uniforms are perfectly acceptable. They are not. They are, as you say, abominations promoted by low class "Instructors" to gullible students to make them feel cool. Name me one student whose technique and ability improved because of a blue, red, or black uniform? You can't do it.
Why does someone want a black, blue, or American-flag uniform? because it looks cool. In other words, to satiate their ego. Something against what traditional martial arts stands for.
You ever notice how many people in black uniforms think martial arts are just about hitting people?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blue Keikogi are traditional in several styles. Kendo especially. They are also used in the olympics. I dont beleive the bright ones should be used, though.

Black, as well.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know Kendo uses blue uniforms. Don't think that would be a problem if Kendo ever joined the Olympics. I think Patrick is upset because the blue dogi was used to enhance TV visibility and make judo more "cool".

However, if people began wearing red Kendo uniforms that would be a problem since red is not a traditional kendo color.

OP
B

Baytor

Michigan TKD,

I wear a black gi, but I know martial arts are not about hitting people, it's about throwing them.;)

I wear black because that's my school's uniform. I would prefer to wear blue jeans and a t shirt. Why? Because that's what I normally wear.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quick question:

In the Karate Kid, when traditional Mr. Miyagi gave Daniel-san his gi as a gift, what color was it?

If judo gis were traditionally blue, that would be one thing. It is quite another to wear a blue gi because you think it is a neat color and makes you look competent.
Same with colored Tae Kwon Do uniforms. Traditionally they were white. Colored uniforms were introduced later to increase the excitement aspect and make people feel "cool" about practicing. If I want cool, I'll live in Alaska. Similar to a school dress code. Schools have them to remind students that they are there to learn, not impress people with fancy clothes.

OP
B

Baytor

MichiganTKD said:
Quick question:

In the Karate Kid, when traditional Mr. Miyagi gave Daniel-san his gi as a gift, what color was it?

If judo gis were traditionally blue, that would be one thing. It is quite another to wear a blue gi because you think it is a neat color and makes you look competent. Same with colored Tae Kwon Do uniforms. Traditionally they were white. Colored uniforms were introduced later to increase the excitement aspect and make people feel "cool" about practicing. If I want cool, I'll live in Alaska. Similar to a school dress code. Schools have them to remind students that they are there to learn, not impress people with fancy clothes.
I agree with part of this. People can also wear white gis to make themselves look more traditional and feel morally superior to "the sellouts". I'm not making acusations that anyone does this, just saying that people can do that too. In my opinion, with my limited experience, I would imagine that having competitors wear different colors would make the judges job easier.

If someone really needs a uniform to remind themselves that they are trying to learn, I personally must question that student's dedication to training. I have a question for you...You live in Michigan right? Isn't it cool enough outside without having to go to Alaska? Your 3 weeks of summer should be just about over.:)

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

MichiganTKD said:
Patrick.

I, for one, admire your courage and principles in defending your belief. Judo and the martial arts need more people like you. I don't practice judo myself. But if I did, I would NEVER wear a blue uniform. I don't beleve for a second Kano would have approved it, and yes it does matter.
As a Tae Kwon Do practitioner, I deal with people who think black, blue, red, and multicolored uniforms are perfectly acceptable. They are not. They are, as you say, abominations promoted by low class "Instructors" to gullible students to make them feel cool. Name me one student whose technique and ability improved because of a blue, red, or black uniform? You can't do it.
Why does someone want a black, blue, or American-flag uniform? because it looks cool. In other words, to satiate their ego. Something against what traditional martial arts stands for.
You ever notice how many people in black uniforms think martial arts are just about hitting people?
Hello Michigan TKD,

Thank you for an objective opinion. I'm glad to hear from a non-judo person. The inclusion of the blue gi in judo has an ulterior motive: to make the job easier for the referee, to make the gi less glaring to the T.V. cameras, and to twist judo into a $port$ for all those tickety buying spectators. This does not help the art or judo or improve it.

I feel the same way about colored gi's in other disciplines, but it is none of my business what the karate or TKD people wear, but I think it should be white. The gawdy red-white-and-blue, scarlet red, or a color not found in nature gi's are offensive and doesn't make one punch or kick any better - it is ego stroking plain and simple. We don't need that in judo.

So Michigan TKD, I totally agree with your opinon and thank's for your input.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IamBaytor said:
People can also wear white gis to make themselves look more traditional and feel morally superior to "the sellouts".
Yup, most of the people that object very strongly to any changes in there "traditional art" do this. Hold on to things for no reason other then to show the world how superior they are to those that have changed their art.

If you really think about it, white is kinda a silly colour to make a uniform in a contact sport where people get cuts and nose bleeds and you spend much time rolling around on the ground.

How is "I like blue, so I'll get a blue uniform" bad when:

"I want to show everyone that I am a traditional martial artist, that hasn't given into modern evils effecting the martial arts, so I will wear white and take shoots at anyone who doesn't. And I am also going to pay $300 to have a Japanese label on mine, so that everyone knows how dedicated I am." is a perfectly acceptable thing.

OP
B

Baytor

Ok, I shall now use my great intellect and logic to explain to all why blue an red gis are bad. I'm sorry for doubting earlier, but there is no escaping these facts.

IF:
gi = blue
blue = hypothermia
hypothermia = kills people
Therefore, logically, if you wear a blue gi, you are likely to KILL PEOPLE!

gi = blue
blue = depressed
Hitler = suffered from depression
Therefore, logically, if you wear a blue gi, YOU ARE THE REINCARNATION OF HITLER!

gi = red
red = the bad color
the bad color = must be hidden
Therefore, logically, if you wear a red gi, you will attract THOSE WHO WE DON'T SPEAK OF!

If a woman = the weight of a duck = she's made of wood = she will burn = therefore, A WITCH!

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

MichiganTKD said:
Quick question:

If judo gis were traditionally blue, that would be one thing. It is quite another to wear a blue gi because you think it is a neat color and makes you look competent.
Same with colored Tae Kwon Do uniforms. Traditionally they were white. Colored uniforms were introduced later to increase the excitement aspect and make people feel "cool" about practicing. If I want cool, I'll live in Alaska. Similar to a school dress code. Schools have them to remind students that they are there to learn, not impress people with fancy clothes.
People seem to forget, that if Dr. Kano wanted blue gi's in the first place, he would have done so. The Japanese were famous for their indigo blues, and lots of Japanese textiles were dyed various shades of blue. But Dr. Kano specifically chose not to do that to judo gi's. And there is no real good reason to do it now.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The inclusion of the blue gi in judo has an ulterior motive: to make the job easier for the referee, to make the gi less glaring to the T.V. cameras, and to twist judo into a $port$ for all those tickety buying spectators. This does not help the art or judo or improve it.

I feel the same way about colored gi's in other disciplines, but it is none of my business what the karate or TKD people wear, but I think it should be white. The gawdy red-white-and-blue, scarlet red, or a color not found in nature gi's are offensive and doesn't make one punch or kick any better - it is ego stroking plain and simple. We don't need that in judo.
OK, so, your basic arguments are:

judo should not be a sport, or sportified (although it seems clear that you are also saying it already *has* become a sport in several venues)

therefore it should not be in the Olympics or shown on TV, or shown at large events where people will buy tickets, because this is encourgaing judo as a sport, rather than a martial art, and in part because

due to lazy modern judges and/or the TV cameras, the blue gi is being introduced

therefore the blue gi is a symbol of everything that is wrong (in your mind) with judo today.

Again, while the blue gi represents these things to you, I think that there is nothing in and of itself that a uniform color change should matter. If you are hanging on to the traditional white because it makes you feel more genuine, that is one thing. But it does not mean that people who wear different colors are necessarily thinking, "Look at me, I'm so kewl". And if they are, so what? They will find out on the mat or training floor how "kewl" they really are. Who cares if someone is flashy? It shouldn't affect your practice.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Feisty Mouse said:
OK, so, your basic arguments are:

judo should not be a sport, or sportified (although it seems clear that you are also saying it already *has* become a sport in several venues)

therefore it should not be in the Olympics or shown on TV, or shown at large events where people will buy tickets, because this is encourgaing judo as a sport, rather than a martial art, and in part because

due to lazy modern judges and/or the TV cameras, the blue gi is being introduced

therefore the blue gi is a symbol of everything that is wrong (in your mind) with judo today.

Again, while the blue gi represents these things to you, I think that there is nothing in and of itself that a uniform color change should matter. If you are hanging on to the traditional white because it makes you feel more genuine, that is one thing. But it does not mean that people who wear different colors are necessarily thinking, "Look at me, I'm so kewl". And if they are, so what? They will find out on the mat or training floor how "kewl" they really are. Who cares if someone is flashy? It shouldn't affect your practice.
Hi Fiesty,

As a civilian walking down the street, it really doesn't matter what color clothes you wear, different strokes for different folks. But that doesn't really apply to either a uniform or to judo.

Again, Dr. Kano had the option of using a blue gi in his day which he did not utilize. Indigo blue textiles were famous in Japan, yet Dr. Kano kept the judo gi white, while other martial arts, such as kendo, dyed their gi's blue or black. That's good for them, but the founder of judo did not - he kept the gi pure and white, a symbol of simplicity and maximum efficiency.

The IJF in 1997 instituted some very controversial rule changes to judo, so controversial that it almost caused a walk-out by the All Japan Judo Federation. In fact, there are no blue gi's used in any AFFJ sanctioned judo tournaments in Japan to this day, in defiance of the IJF. One of those more controversial rule changes was the inclusion of the blue gi - utterly ridiculous and unnecessary.

The practice of judo is as much a spiritual endeavour as it is a physical one, which is why Dr. Kano used a Buddhist term, 'dojo' to describe a judo practice hall as, a place of enlightenment. Dr. Kano insisted that the daily practice of judo contributed to the 'eventual perfection and ultimate development of human character', which he claimed took place during randori. That is why Dr. Kano prescribed randori as 80% of judo training (the other ratio being: kata 17% and shiai 3%).

The inclusion of the blue gi in judo is equally as incongruous as an orthodox rabbi wearing plaid or a Roman Catholic priest wearing pastels during services. There is something lost in the translation.

The blue gi is the physical representation with what is wrong with today's 'modern' judo.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Man, I'm getting trashed here! Drink up! Oh new addition to the drinking game:
1 Drink everytime a"$" is used in place of an "s"

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Patrick,

Good point. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, to paraphrase "Jurassic Park". In our fast paced, materialistic, go-go world, everyone tries to outdo each other with the biggest car, highest paying job, fanciest clothes. That has, unfortunately, filtered down to many aspects of martial arts practice. A simple white uniform is not good enough. To make me stand out I have to have a blue, black, red, gold lame, or American flag styled uniform. Why? What purpose do they serve? Excitement? If you want excitement, practice until you are the most exciting person who ever stepped out on a mat.
It is my belief that Instructors who advocate colored uniforms, whether judo or any other style, do so because they are weak or poor instructors and this is how they keep students' interested. My rule of thumb: The fancier the uniform, the worse the technique and manners.

Latest Discussions