whats the difference from jujutsu and jujitsu?

M

martial artis

does any one know the difference from jujutsu and jujitsu? and is hakko denshin ryu a good martial art?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on is spelled with an i and one is spelled with a u...

that's it...jujitsu is the more modern spelling

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

You are experiencing the typical writing phenomenon associated with the English language when transcribing foreign words based on onomonpaedic variations: in other words, spelling as they sound because that particular word doesn't exist in the English language.

Jiu-jitsu; jiu-jutsu; ju-jitsu; or ju-jutsu, with or without the hyphen, are all English language spelling variants of the same martial art.

BUT, from what I have read elsewhere, the word 'jitsu' means day, or daytime.

If I spoke Japanese fluently, or at all (which I don't), then I would tighten up my spelling of jujutsu. Yet I frequently use each of the above spellings as I write about the martial arts.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Sort of like the difference between Kenpo and Kempo.
No.
Kenpo and Kempo are two distinctly different/divergent arts.
Jujutsu and Jujitsu...the only difference is a U and an I .

Your Brother
John

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
No.
Kenpo and Kempo are two distinctly different/divergent arts.

Your Brother
John
I used to think so, too. The characters for both are the same, and some practitioners have changed from one to the other. That's why I made the comparison to the jujutsu/jujitsu question. It's all good, though.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:-offtopic

Patrick Skerry said:
You are experiencing the typical writing phenomenon associated with the English language when transcribing foreign words based on onomonpaedic variations: in other words, spelling as they sound because that particular word doesn't exist in the English language.
Man i can't believe i'm writing this, I feel like my junior high english teacher...but it was kind of bugging me

I believe the word you are referring to onomatopoeia, is a word that mimics the sound of the thing it describes. Buzz, bang, pow etc...

Spelling by sound is referred to as phonetic transcription.

I hang out with too many english majors....

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
:-offtopic

Man i can't believe i'm writing this, I feel like my junior high english teacher...but it was kind of bugging me

I believe the word you are referring to onomatopoeia, is a word that mimics the sound of the thing it describes. Buzz, bang, pow etc...

Spelling by sound is referred to as phonetic transcription.

I hang out with too many english majors....
But apparently not enough - the word I was actually referring too was onomatopoietic.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
I used to think so, too. The characters for both are the same, and some practitioners have changed from one to the other. That's why I made the comparison to the jujutsu/jujitsu question. It's all good, though.
I'll second that. The symbol in Japanese that translates to the m AND the n sound is the same. English has similarities. The word immobile comes from the prefix "in-" meaning "not" and of cousre "mobile." But try to say INmobile really fast. It just somed out immobile. The symbol for m/n kind of looks like our lower-case "h," but more slanted and fancy-looking. Now, Kenpo and Kendo might be different. I'm not sure.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Brother John said:
No.
1)Kenpo and Kempo are two distinctly different/divergent arts.

Your Brother
John

1) Linguistically the are the same in the Japanese Lang., only outside of Japan do they differ because of some political riff between styles

2) Jujitsu is the way non-Japanese speakers have screwed up the pronunciation of the Japanese word Jujutsu

Latest Discussions